Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #26
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope
Re: Kotegaeshi in practice

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote:
Mike was a prison guard in NY and it was his job to extract reluctant inmates from their cells. He wasn't allowed to have any weapons, so he decided to study Aikido. After his first class or so, he was dealing with a violent prisoner and accidently found he had the guy in kotegaeshi. He took the guy down and the guy got up, so he took him to the ground again and he got up again. After a few rounds of this, Mike said to himself, "I really gotta learn how to pin!".
i think i know this mike ... red haired guy from the park slope dojo?
sounds like something he'd say
Old 05-06-2006, 01:36 AM   #27
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Richard Langridge wrote:
Hi, just wondered if anyone has had to use kotegaeshi for self-defense.
Thanks,
Richard
The senseis I am training with back in Manila have used it several times. He said "it really works, I threw the guy 3X and never attacked after that"
Old 05-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #28
NathanD
Dojo: Nathan Darnell
United_States

[quote=Ian Dodkins]
I know an ex-instructor used it instinctively when he was stopping someone attacking a woman; he was suprised that the attacker was actually thrown through the air.

Thats interesting...That attacker must have had some martial arts experience. I am new to Aikido, but I have studied Kenpo for a long time and utilized kotegaeshi in many Kenpo techniques. I used to work in a jail and used kotegaeshi on an inmate once. He definitely didn't fly in the air or do any type of breakfall. He dropped to his knees and started screaming. I kept applying pressure and he dropped to his back, but he most certainly did not respond as your uke would in the dojo. Working in the jail allowed me to practice my martial arts quite a bit, and if I learned anything, its that our techniques do work. They are applicable in real life. Believe that, but they don't always look pretty or end the way we expect.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #29
Stephen Pate

United_States

Call it a year and a half ago I was playing a show with my old band. During one of the breaks, our drummer's (intoxicated) girlfriend began arguing with me for some random reason (I wasn't arguing but she sure was).
At some point she thought it would help to convince me by grabbing my throat with her left hand. I was sitting in a chair at the time so there wasn't much blending or moving off line. Fortunately, Budweiser had already taken her balance. I gently applied kotegaeshi until she was sitting on the floor. When I had her attention I asked, "Why did you want to do that?"

You must obey the Dance Commander.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
jameslewis
Dojo: Kihonwaza Dojo of Mount Holly
United_States

Kotegaeshi is a powerful technique wheather from irime tenkan or a tenshen fade but when we freestyle the easiest technique I have found is ikkkyo or nikkyo ura. As you throw the uki down walk away from the situation fast. I love kotegaeshi as much as the next nagi but be practical too. Kotegaeshi is meant to break bones and "O Sensei" wanted us to protect our enemy at all cost first.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:52 AM   #31
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

The emphasis on breaking things is upto you. You can break bones with ikkyo or nikkyo, if thats what you want to do...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #32
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

How do you break bones with ikkyo and nikkyo? Maybe tendons and joint capsules, but I don't see bones.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #33
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

I have learned different Nikyo's,an older version cuts very directly down in front of uke's center,
it is a very hard version and will easily break wristbones .
The application of ikkyo comes from an Atemi ,without tenkan you could break the elbow.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #34
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

With Nikkyo, what Christian said, just cut down directly and with alot of focus. If uke doesnt move...

WIth ikkyo you extend the arm out and use atemi on the elbow to break it.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.