Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #1
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Atemi

Hello Chris,

The kanji I wrote in my last post came out as question marks when I previewed the post before submitting it. So I think you cannot read them.

Perhaps you yourself do not need to read them, but other posters might like to.

I point this out simply as a negative effect of Jun's latest upgrade.

Best,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
akiy

Hi Peter,
Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
One thing I neglected to mention is that people who wish to post Japanese should set their language settings in their Preferences/Edit Options section. The second-to-last setting there is, "Forum Language." The drop-down there should have the usual Japanese encoding schemes (EUC-JP, ISO-2022-jp (JIS), Shift-JIS, and Unicode).  Doing so should allow people to post and read Japanese here...

I'll make a quick "tutorial" for the Feedback forums in a bit.

As far as the thoughts on "atemi" and words that sound alike in a totally different language, I believe any such similarities are entirely coincidental.

では、

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
akiy wrote:
Hi Peter,

One thing I neglected to mention is that people who wish to post Japanese should set their language settings in their Preferences/Edit Options section. The second-to-last setting there is, "Forum Language." The drop-down there should have the usual Japanese encoding schemes (EUC-JP, ISO-2022-jp (JIS), Shift-JIS, and Unicode).?@?@Doing so should allow people to post and read Japanese here...

I'll make a quick "tutorial" for the Feedback forums in a bit.

As far as the thoughts on "atemi" and words that sound alike in a totally different language, I believe any such similarities are entirely coincidental.

では?A

-- Jun
Hello Jun,

Matters are not so simple.

The language settings in the Preferences/edit Options are set to 'forum default' and I should not have to reset the settings every time I post in Japanese. I do not have to do this on E-Budo.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #4
akiy

Japanese Language Options

The new Forums system will enable you to change the encoding of the forums pages for Japanese language display/input in accordance to your preferences. Although this does not mean that the language of the Forums will change to Japanese, it will save and display the pages in the Japanese encoding method (eg EUC, ISO-2022-JP (JIS), Shift-JIS, Unicode) that you wish.

To change your encoding method for the Forums:
  • click on Preferneces at the top left of the page (Thumbnail 1)
  • click on "Edit Options" near the middle left (Thumbnail 2)
  • scroll to the second to last option and choose the encoding method that you wish. (Thumbnail 3)
  • click on "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.

That's it!

Also, you should be able to use the "Preview Post" button to see how the system is interpreting your input by viewing a preview of your post. If there are any question mark (????) symbols where your kanji characters should be, you might want to try using a different encoding method and trying again...

Hope that helps,

-- Jun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu-preferences.gif
Views:	41
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	174   Click image for larger version

Name:	pref-options.gif
Views:	44
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	175   Click image for larger version

Name:	options-forumlanguage.gif
Views:	44
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	176  

Old 05-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
The language settings in the Preferences/edit Options are set to 'forum default' and I should not have to reset the settings every time I post in Japanese.
I believe the forum defaults is "regular English" encoding. Once you set your options, you won't have to re-set them again; in other words, you won't have to reset the settings every time you post in Japanese but just once (as your settings will be saved in the system for your account).

In any case, I've posted a "tutorial" on changing your encoding method:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5525

I'll be moving these last couple of messages in this thread to the above thread in a bit...

Regards,

-- Jun

Last edited by akiy : 05-06-2004 at 10:51 AM.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:54 AM   #6
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
Hello Chris,

The kanji I wrote in my last post came out as question marks when I previewed the post before submitting it. So I think you cannot read them.

Perhaps you yourself do not need to read them, but other posters might like to.

Best,
Hi Peter,

The same thing happened to me the last time I tried to post kanji 漢字 characters in the "Shin" thread. I resolved this by doing a reply to the thread instead of a quick reply, dropping the surrounding brackets, and changing the View/ Encoding options in my browser to shift_jis when viewing.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-07-2004, 03:57 AM   #7
batemanb

My post above looks like squiggles this time too, but if I change my encoding to Japanese to view it's fine.

regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #8
akiy

Re: Japanese Language Options

Hi Bryan,

I have moved your comments regarding Japanese encoding from the "Atemi" thread to this thread. I hope you'll get the chance to try out the new options as outlined above. Please let me know if you (or anyone else) has troubles using the new Japanese encoding options in your Preferences!

-- Jun

Old 05-09-2004, 05:10 AM   #9
batemanb

Hi Jun, Peter,

I have just followed Jun`s instructions, changed my settings to ISO-2022-JP and saved them. I can now view the kanji that I added to two threads quite happily. Unfortunately, I still can`t see the kanji that Peter added, but I guess that is because the encoding was still in ASCII when he typed it. I have also exited Explorer and started up again, my preferences have retained the ISO-2022-JP settings.

Regards

Bryan

Old 05-11-2004, 01:56 AM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello Jun,

After some playing around with language settings, I have come to the conclusion that the software upgrades might have made things more complicated. What you have written above might be OK for the US, but is a little different in Japan.

The computer I am using at present is a Sony Vaio with Windows XP. Of course everything is in Japanese. When I open Explorer the top page is also in Japanese and the language encoding settings are set to Japanese EUC. When I open AikiWeb, the settings are automatically changed to Shift JIS. I have other language options, but the computer slows down significantly, as a result.

The problem with the present settings is that some punctuation symbols are converted into Chinese characters, when these are followed by certain letters, and also the lasyout changes.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-11-2004, 02:53 AM   #11
batemanb

Hi Peter,

I got similar problems at first, especially if I used () around kanji. My system in the office is English WIN2K with Japanese locale installed, at home I have a native Japanese XP, I'll have a look when I get back tonight to see how that behaves.

rgds

Bryan

Old 05-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
akiy

HI Peter, Bryan,

Thank you for your feedback; they are invaluable. Any and all specific "bugs" that you can find that I can then reproduce, I would very much appreciate hearing about.

I, too, am usually viewing the site on Windows 2000/XP with the Japanese IME installed. However, my aikido teacher has the Japanese version of Windows XP installed onto his computer so I will try to stop by his place and "debug" things there when I can. I'm also working on getting Mac OS X installed on a computer at work; although it won't be the Japanese version of the operating system, at least I can then try Safari out.

As always, I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

-- Jun

Old 05-11-2004, 02:41 PM   #13
batemanb

Hi Jun,

My native Japanese XP displays the kanji just fine at home using the ISO-2022-JP settings in my profu\ile. XP doesn`t have an ISO-2022-JP setting so it switches to JIS, but this doesn`t seem to be a problem. Here`s $B4A;z(B to see how it appears typing in.

rgds

Bryan

Old 05-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #14
akiy

Hi Bryan,

Switching my browser (Firefox 0.8 under an English language Windows XP) to ISO-2022-JP (which is the same as JIS, actually) lets me view your kanji without any problems.

Thanks for your testing and feedback!

-- Jun

Old 05-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #15
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I swithched my settings to ISO-2022-JP and now the kanji appears just fine. The only problem is that some combinations of letters and/or punctuation seem to convert to kanji. Like: C$BqT(Bar Mart$ByO(Bez, and these taken from a post by David Valadez--- $BE0(Bda Nobunaga, $BE#(Buddhism, $BE)(Bired, $BE5(Bhe Bakufu, $BE"(Bntiquity, $BE5(Bhe Protocol, $BE5(Bokugawa, $BE0(Bf Heretics, $BE4(Bhinto, $BE5(Bhe Japanese, $BE+(Bapan$BCT(B Orient, $BE7(Boice, $BE+(Bapan$BCT(B Ignored, $BET(Bhinbutsu

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #16
akiy

Hi Bronson,

Thank you for the report; I'm looking into it right now...

-- Jun

Old 05-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #17
akiy

Hi Bronson, et al,

I think I found the problem. The text in, for example, David's post that you mention contained non-ASCII characters for certain characters (double quotation marks, single quotation marks, dashes, etc). This kind of thing happens, say, if someone copied text from Microsoft Word which uses "smart" quotes.

I went and modified the system so that it replaces instances of such non-ASCII characters as above with their regular ASCII counterparts (eg ", ', --). If you run into any other problem such as those that you saw previously, please let me know with the exact post and I'll take a look into it.

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Old 05-13-2004, 07:27 AM   #18
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Hey, what's this stuff over my head? ? You lost me but I'll take your word that everything is all daisies and chocolate covered kittens

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."