Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Onii-chan
United_States
Juba Nour Sensei

With all due respect to Juba Nour Sensei, can anyone give me an honest opinion about his teaching style and techniques. I have visited various Dojos in Manhattan including the Aikikai Dojo on 27th street; and I am very impressed by Juba Nour Sensei. But this being my first try at Aikido I want to make sure I am picking the right sensei. Is there anyone out there who knows the instructors in Manhattan and can state their educated opinion about them.

Thank you,

Onii-chan

Last edited by Onii-chan : 09-18-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Wrong Name
Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
mjchip
Dojo: Aikido Jinsei Dojo
Re: Juba Nour Sensei

Quote:
Erick Pereda wrote:
With all due respect to Juba Nour Sensei, can anyone give me an honest opinion about his teaching style and techniques. I have visited various Dojos in Manhattan including the Aikikai Dojo on 27th street; and I am very impressed by Juba Nour Sensei. But this being my first try at Aikido I want to make sure I am picking the right sensei. Is there anyone out there who knows the instructors in Manhattan and can state their educated opinion about them.

Thank you,

Onii-chan
Juba Sensei has excellent skill and is a very intense teacher. IMO, you can't go wrong training with him.

As an aside, along with a few other Birankai teachers, he was recently recognized as a Shihan by hombu dojo.
Regards,

Mark Chiappetta
Old 09-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Juba Sensei is one of the best. Yes, he is very intense, but he is also very sincere is what he does and will not cut corners. IMHO, you would be getting some of the best instruction ever. I train at his dojo every once in awhile, so I will look for you there.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Erick Pereda wrote:

Thank you,

Onii-chan
I'd go with Imaizumi Sensei at the Shinbudokai any day of the week. He is getting old so anyone who starts with him now will be one of the last people to benefit from his vast experience. His Aikido is top notch and he is a WONDERFUL human being. The folks at his dojo are just great as well.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Manhattan? Heck... you have Nour Shihan; You have the great bunch at Bond Street dojo (with Kang and Jordan sensei); And you have the incredible wealth of knowledge at NY aikikai (with Yamada, Sugano, Waite and Konigsburg shihans; Ozeki, Firestone, Workoff, Lehrman, Shephard and Keller senseis and all the other instructors and students there). And then we have Imaizumi Shihan at the Shinbudokai. You just can't go wrong in NY if you are looking for qualified aikido instructors.

/J

Jakob Blomquist
Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I haven't trained with the others mentioned, but I have attended seminars given by Juba Nour Sensei. He was an uchideshi to Chiba Sensei, and from my experience with him, would be an excellent teacher. I've found that the advanced students of Chiba Sensei have very strong basics, good control, and a wide variety of interesting waza to teach. Many of their basics and waza remind me of the training in the Yoshinkan. I have a review of a seminar with Nour Sensei somewhere, I'll try to find a link to it.

I should also say that while I've heard stories to the effect that some out of Chiba Sensei's lineage can be somewhat harsh physically, I have not yet found that to be the case, even when I clearly presented opportunities for that to happen (like stupidly resisting nikkajo ). I was treated very graciously, and carefully. And the waza was still effective!

Best,
Ron

Ah, here's the link to the review...
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/blog.p...howentry&e=466

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 09-19-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

I admire Shihan Nour's Aikido very much and it is what I aspire to someday. His classes look like good old fashioned hard training. That is what my Shihan was like when he was younger.
Here are some Quicktimes of Juba Nour.
http://www.aikidoofmanhattan.com/videos.php

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 09-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
NagaBaba

Juba Nour -- he is one of the best aikidokas I've ever practice with, and believe me I practice with many O sensei students different generations. With him you will have very personal teaching.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 09-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Wow...Mr. S and I agree on something!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
Onii-chan
United_States

Thank you everyone; your comments have been extremely helpful at making a decision. I did not mean to have Juba Nour Sensei on the spot light, but I am sure he will be glad to see all the support that he has received on this forum.

Once again thank you,

EP