Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
trademark8806

Dojo: Akido of Rosmore
United_States
what is expected for a not so beginger?

I been trying for almost a year now, wonder where I should be now in my traing? what do you guys think?

Best wishes ,
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
piyush.kumar
Dojo: UTA aikido club
United_States
Re: what is expected for a not so beginger?

Hmmmm, Have patience and enjoy . Take pleasure in the journey itself for when you do reach your destination, you must start another one. Though trust me, u'll never run out of places to go.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Tara Marsh wrote: View Post
I been trying for almost a year now, wonder where I should be now in my traing? what do you guys think?
amdemond to previous statement I ment 5 months well 6 in time but I took a month off so 1 month then a month off and then 4 moths of trying. I am jsut now on monday taking my 7th que test.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Knowing your school and your teachers, you are right at 7th kyu. Good luck on your test.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Knowing your school and your teachers, you are right at 7th kyu. Good luck on your test.
Is that a good or a bad thing... when you say knowing them? Also, thanks for the good luck, but hofullly I do not need it, hofully I know what I am doing.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

You worry too much about where you should be compared to oterh people, I think. Everyone is different. I had my first test around 5 months another friend of mine had hers around 4 months and I know someone who will be taking theirs at around 8 months into training. Some have reported going for a year and more without a test. Stop comparing yourself to other people. Look at your progress and acknowledge how far you yourself have come. This is a journey that does not have a final destination. It's not a race and it has no time limits.

If your sensei is testing you he must think you are ready. Trust his judgment. Have fun with your test and just enjoy your training.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

It also depends on how often testing is done at your dojo. Mine tends to wait till there are several people ready (at least at the lower ranks). There were 4 of us testing for 5th kyu, there are going to be about 4 testing for 4th kyu soon and there are 4 testing for 1st kyu soon. Relax and enjoy the ride. Just think about rank as being something additional you get every so often. Don't make trainnig about your rank. That will lead to frustration down the road.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
You worry too much about where you should be compared to oterh people, I think. Everyone is different. I had my first test around 5 months another friend of mine had hers around 4 months and I know someone who will be taking theirs at around 8 months into training. Some have reported going for a year and more without a test. Stop comparing yourself to other people. Look at your progress and acknowledge how far you yourself have come. This is a journey that does not have a final destination. It's not a race and it has no time limits.

If your sensei is testing you he must think you are ready. Trust his judgment. Have fun with your test and just enjoy your training.
Or he thinks I should be readdy, I don't knwo , I sometimes know it and then otherdays I screw it all up. I still get the names mixed up a bit. I not conparing in that way I just trying make sure I am keeping up with weterver the starders are because I don't know them. I am always a few steeps behind everyone esles and amim to meat my own goles. However, everonne else seems to be like in school greaded on and amiming to something that I dont know about.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
It also depends on how often testing is done at your dojo. Mine tends to wait till there are several people ready (at least at the lower ranks). There were 4 of us testing for 5th kyu, there are going to be about 4 testing for 4th kyu soon and there are 4 testing for 1st kyu soon. Relax and enjoy the ride. Just think about rank as being something additional you get every so often. Don't make trainnig about your rank. That will lead to frustration down the road.
Ic, Yea I think when I strtedthey were just testing and I think this is a new testing cycle.

Best wishes ,
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Tara,

Sorry if my earlier post confused you. What I meant was that you are training in a terrific school and your Dojo Cho and other teachers are quality people. If Nakagawa Sensei is putting you up for 7th kyu, then you are ready for that level. You mentioned that sometimes you forget the names and mess up the techniques - well, here's a revelation for you - so did Nakagawa Sensei (and every other Aikido student) when he was an unranked student going for his 7th kyu. Have confidence in your teachers, they truly do know what they're doing and won't hang you out to dry. You did well by joining that dojo.

In reflection, I suppose wishing you luck on the test was a empty gesture. Luck isn't much of a factor now and you only need to demonstrate what you've been taught. I will change my close then to "Best Wishes" for a successful test.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
trademark8806

United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Tara,

Sorry if my earlier post confused you. What I meant was that you are training in a terrific school and your Dojo Cho and other teachers are quality people. If Nakagawa Sensei is putting you up for 7th kyu, then you are ready for that level. You mentioned that sometimes you forget the names and mess up the techniques - well, here's a revelation for you - so did Nakagawa Sensei (and every other Aikido student) when he was an unranked student going for his 7th kyu. Have confidence in your teachers, they truly do know what they're doing and won't hang you out to dry. You did well by joining that dojo.

In reflection, I suppose wishing you luck on the test was a empty gesture. Luck isn't much of a factor now and you only need to demonstrate what you've been taught. I will change my close then to "Best Wishes" for a successful test.
It's ok I am essly confused, but I also lurned that satements can mean, espely some, can mean a lot of difrent things, so , thats why I asked becaue severl takes came to mind. Thanks for clfrying. thanks and I agree I do have greet Sensei and other students whom are techers as well.

Best wishes ,