Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Aikipsychi
Dojo: Kadokan Anaheim, CA
United_States
Nodo Tsuki Waza

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask everyone their opinion on the proper way to do this technique. I know that the technique can be dangerous like most others (all have some danger) however because the front of the neck is targeted, I thought I would let us discuss this. What part of the neck is being targeted exactly or are people just using the jugular notch ? What is the safest way to practice this and be effective at the same time?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan
Re: Nodo Tsuki Waza

Quote:
Scott Drew wrote: View Post
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask everyone their opinion on the proper way to do this technique. I know that the technique can be dangerous like most others (all have some danger) however because the front of the neck is targeted, I thought I would let us discuss this. What part of the neck is being targeted exactly or are people just using the jugular notch ? What is the safest way to practice this and be effective at the same time?
I have never heard of a nodo tsuki waza, but a punch in the throat (that is what nodo tsuki means) can be lethal, so IŽd be a tad careful in practising that.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I have always practiced a technique that some refer to as nodo tsuki (to my teacher it was just one of the many kokyu nage). Although, thrusting to the throat comes up more often in my jo practice.

It is performed with an open hand rather than a closed fist. Nage's leading arm will rise and extend, something like a blend of an upper cut and a jab, but with the palm facing uke. Contact can be made on the upper chest (what you may be referring to as the jugular notch area) and slide up to the throat/jaw line.

I don't view this technique as particularly dangerous, but as with most the more sensitive nage and uke are the better.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Aikipsychi
Dojo: Kadokan Anaheim, CA
United_States

I have tried to find some clips on youtube but i cant find specifically what I am talking about. Ive seen Shioda Sensei press his finger in the jugular notch and the uke would fall, I am not sure if that would be considered Nodo Tsuki Nage.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

The neck is more robust then one might assume. I wouldn't worry too much.

As far as hitting a specific point, chances are that unless you are 100% better at physical conflict then your attacker, only chance will allow you to pick a specific point. The most affective method, with all Tsuki (thrusting) techniques is to use a weapon for the thrust.