Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
lbb
United_States
When you send a kid to summer camp...

...you pack lots of underwear, extra shoelaces, and plenty of sunscreen and bug spray.

When you send an aikidoka (including yourself) to summer camp, you pack ibuprofin, sports tape, ice packs, weapons, beer money, and all the gis you own.

What's on your list?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: When you send a kid to summer camp...

Gi's, clothes, raid home defense, battery powered fan, coconut water, knife, flashlight, Off, ibuprofin.

That's the really important stuff, in order of importance!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Tatsukage
United_States

Gi, extra clothes, personal hygiene, extra protein sources, Bokken, at least one good book (The Hagakure, Walden, Aikido:The Dynamic Circle, etc...)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
maynard
Dojo: St. Pete Aikikai

If you're going to the summer camp in the rockies hosted by Boulder Aikikai, you might also consider the following:

-Hat, sunglasses and sunblock if you plan on participating in any of the outdoor weapons classes.
-Comfortable walking/hiking shoes if you plan on walking around the more rugged areas
-Bathing suit and a towel if you plan on going to the Glenwood Springs Hot Springs pool.
-Shoes you don't mind getting wet if you plan on white water rafting on the day off (and maybe a wetsuit).
-Cane tip protector for your jo if you bring it and want to use it while hiking ($5-$20 at the local drugstore).
-Camera.

That's off the top of my head, if I come up with more, I'll add it later.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

underwears (don't want to go into breakfall without clean underwear), tiger balms (don't mix the tiger balms location with the underwear), pain killers of your choice (wouldn't recommend any home grown stuffs that start with canab...), gi and more gi (if you sweat like a pig like me, then even more gi), extra weapons (never know when you need to fight off a bunch of grabby aikidoka in the buffet line), money and other items that you can barter for massages.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
RED
United_States

Add five more rolls of sports tape to the list and you got my list. lol

MM
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Rolls of quarters for the laundry, blank checks (one for the key deposit and to buy stuff), cell phone and charger, camera, put knife in check in suitcase (can not take a knife on the plane), take my little swiss army knife off my keychain, gum, snacks, windbreaker (it can get cold in the mountains at night), jeans, dress shorts, casual shorts, white socks, tennis shoes, flip flops, shaving kit with the usual stuff and include steptic pencil for when I cut myself shaving, nail clippers, and of course lots of underwear (it is nice to grab a quick shower and fresh underwear after each session). Dogi and weapons. When I get there I buy a case of bottled water, room and bathroom deodorizer, and a cheap pillow (it's worth a few dollars to me to have a decent pillow). A flashlight is good to have (a minimag light works very well and bring 2 new batteries) My wallet watch comb and a good writing pen. Computer is nice to check e-mail and a couple of movies to watch at the airport or on the plane, a good book.
And before I leave,I thank my wife for letting me go with her blessing and encouragement and I make sure to get her a gift from Colorado.
Doc Randy

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Oh, and a little first aid kit with benadryl, tylenol, bandaids, etc.
Doc Randy

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hi,

didnt't yet have the luck to go myself, but for my son:
Gis
Weapons
Books
Underwear
Pyjama
Toothbrush (but that one came back in virginal state)
other sports equipment like bathing suit, rollerblades etc.

For myself, if ever I'd go - pretty much the same, but I WOULD use the toothbrush :-)

Best regards,

Eva
Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
chunie
Dojo: Sho Shin Aikido Dojo
Netherlands

If staying on camping ground then all the necessities to make camping not too uncomfortable plus clothes line, clothe hanger and clothes pin. You want to (wash) dry and air the only 3 or 4 suites you have so you can blend with people