Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-19-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
9/19/2002 10:26pm [from Sheldon Verbeke]

November 22, 23, 24, 2002 -
Terada Kiyoyuki, Saikoo Shihan, (9th dan)
President of National Yoshinkan Renmei and the president of Aikido Yoshinkan Seiseikai as well as being the only Saikoo Shihan in Yoshinkan Aikido, will be joining us for a special weekend seminar in Maple Ridge, British Columbia.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:23 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Terada Kiyoyuki Hanshi is also Yoshinkan Saiko Komon (Chief techical advisory) as well one of Yoshinkan's co-founders. He is the last of all Yoshinkan shihan to have trained with both O'Sensei and Ueshiba K. Doshu.

He is 80 years old and still going. I hope when I'm 80 I'm still training and taking ukemi like he. I will be at this clinic and hope all of you will be too.

Regards ...
Old 09-21-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
G DiPierro
United_States
Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote:
as well as being the only Saikoo Shihan in Yoshinkan Aikido
What is a Saikoo Shihan?
Old 09-21-2002, 08:00 PM   #4
Keith R Lee
United_States
I have to say that I count myself lucky to have trained atone of Terada Shihan's seminars.. I went to Canada last year specifically to attend a seminar of his (a long way considerign I'm down in Alabama). His technique was very clean and sharp and he has a wonderful presence. I was lucky enough to uke a couple of times form him and his age has very little impact on his technique as it felt very powerful. If I was in the area, regardless of rank or affiliation I would make it a point to attend. Definitely worth you time.

Keith Lee
Old 09-21-2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Steven

United_States
Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote:
What is a Saikoo Shihan?
In this case, Saiko is Chief or Highest Shihan. Terada Hanshi also holds the title of Saiko Komon which means Chief Advisor.

Hope that helps ...
Old 09-22-2002, 07:39 PM   #6
G DiPierro
United_States
Quote:
Steven Miranda (Steven) wrote:
In this case, Saiko is Chief or Highest Shihan. Terada Hanshi also holds the title of Saiko Komon which means Chief Advisor.

Hope that helps ...
Yes it does, thanks. That's what I had thought the translation should be, but I couldn't figure out why then it would be noteworthy that he was the only one. Do they allow more than one Chief Shihan? Or is this position somewhat analogous to the Doshu's in the Aikikai?

Last edited by G DiPierro : 09-22-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:41 AM   #7
peteswann
Dojo: Shinwakai UK
I lso attended a Seminar held in Portsmouth UK where Terad Shihan was teaching!! Very impressive!! Well worth going to if you can make it, as Steve Miranda said, he is one of the few teachers to have trained with O'Sensei and Doshu, AND Shioda Sensei with whom he co-founded Yoshinkan!!

Pete

Pete
Old 09-23-2002, 07:54 AM   #8
Steven

United_States
Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote:
Yes it does, thanks. That's what I had thought the translation should be, but I couldn't figure out why then it would be noteworthy that he was the only one. Do they allow more than one Chief Shihan? Or is this position somewhat analogous to the Doshu's in the Aikikai?
Shioda Kancho awarded the title. To my knowledge, it was the only one. One could only guess that it was important enough for Shioda Kancho to make the distinction. The significance for us is that it does designate his role and place within the hireachy of Yoshinkan.

Bottom-line is, he is the most senior of all Yoshinkan instructors and a real treasure. Do take advantage of his trip to Maple Ridge if you can.

Regards ....