Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-01-2004, 12:56 PM   #26
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: To "The Masters"

Iain,

the topic was opened so: i struggle with emotional illness. after years of healing it's apparent i am not 'mentally' ill. whatever that means.

'aikido can heal broken spirit', to quote a sandan i know.
two books have helped me tremendously:
Waking the Tiger, by Peter Levine
and, A General Theory of Love by Fari Amini et al.

these are not self help books. the first is on a meditative cure for post traumatic stress disorder which you may have (gamble the $12.00 for the book), and the second explains that our limbic, or nonverbal brain runs most of our behavior - hence cure is not through reading self help books or 'thinking'.

god bless - you are not the only one

billybob
Old 10-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #27
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States

My last name is Masters.
Does that count?

No, prolly not.

Besides that I've never been attacked in the street, sidewalk, hallway, or even on a roof. *knocks on wood*

Beginner's mind: In the mind of the beginner there are many possibilities, in the mind of an expert (master?) there are few.
-Shunryu Suzuki.
I think that was who wrote that.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:21 PM   #28
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

David,

Sounds a lot like "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" (which I've had, and studied). The idea being that by changing your present "negative thoughts" and replacing them with more "realistic" ones, this in turn will lift mood and change behaviour (in theory). In practice, it actually made me much worse. You see, once I realized that thoughts directly influence mood and behaviour, I'm afraid that made me too analytical and ended up making my "negative thoughts" stronger!

Negative thinking is now my "default" thought process. I'm also a fervent Atheist, before anyone else mentions "God can help" to me (no offence). This isn't directed at you, by the way.

Thanks for the reply.

Iain.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #29
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
Peter, you're gonna hate me for this, but I can't stop myself...

I understand why you're saying this, but I've always hated this type of phrase. Could I suggest "the more I learn the more I find there is to learn" or something similar. The reason I'm being picky as the first is a bit too negative and/or smugly arrogant (no, I'm NOT saying you are) whereas the second just implies finding a bigger sea to swim in...
I agree.
I like this one - "Don't try to be humble, you're not that great."

Quote:
Iain Smith wrote:
Negative thinking is now my "default" thought process. I'm also a fervent Atheist, before anyone else mentions "God can help" to me (no offence).
I'm afraid a bearded old man won't be making a descent on a cloud to take you out of depression, whether you believe in such a literal interpretation of God or not.

You can interpret "God" as life, circumstances and other people.
The way to change your outlook is to allow yourself to open to more of that.

Last edited by shihonage : 10-01-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:53 AM   #30
Peter Seth
Dojo: Zanshin. Sunderland University
England
Smile Re: To "The Masters"

To Ian H.
I Don't mind Ian! Its just an easy phrase to use to explain where I am in the world. As you say the second part is the 'one', every time I climb out of one sea, I discover a bigger one to dive into. I only hope I'm becoming a better swimmer?
Pete
PS: Did you use the word 'hate', twice? - Im not being picky but - 'heavy word'. Sorry couldn't resist. Just joshin.

Last edited by Peter Seth : 10-06-2004 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:01 AM   #31
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Hi Pete,

You were right, what can I say, I must have been feeling extra melodramatic that day... anyway, watch out for sharks (no I don't know what I mean either, but sounded pithy eh?)
Old 10-07-2004, 05:29 AM   #32
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

To Alexsay,

I like that quote - "Don't try to be humble - you're not that great"

It sums me up really.

I'd like to be adequate, nevermind great!

Iain.