Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
seba368
United_States
Ai symbol New to Aikido

Hello, I am totally new to Aikido (although I do have few years of some previous martial arts experience in different styles)

I am considering two(below) schools. However as many of you know it is very hard to choose, even if I go (which I am planning on..) to visit them, I may still have trouble choosing. Therefore I am taking the opportunity of this forums to ask the following question:

Can anyone here tell me anything about those two dojos? Perhaps there are some members here who either know those schools or are themselves students there:

1. Aikido Association of America:
http://www.aaa-aikido.com/

2. Shinjinkai:
http://www.shinjinkai.org/
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: New to Aikido

Looks like the chief instructor at the 2nd dojo studied with Toyoda, the founder of AAA. May not be much difference Aikido wise. Go check out the atmosphere at both. AAA is an organization based out of Chicago, so you may have more options if you ever move but stay in the area.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Since your in the Chicago area, you may also want to consider:

http://www.aikidomac.org/

The Dojo is part of the USAF

http://www.usaikifed.com/
Old 04-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

By all means, check out the Chicago Aikikai on Lincoln Avenue. Kevin Choate, a 6th Dan, is a senior student of Mitsugi Saotome Shihan.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
crbateman

Chicago is fortunate to have AAA, ASU and USAF schools. It is an opportunity for potential students to check out each of the major organizations, and make their decision based on which has the right "feel". Don't be in too big a hurry. When the right answer comes, you'll know it.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

This might help you, these are Japan Aikido Association/USA schools....

American Aikido Society
Sensei Keith Benedix, 5th Dan
Chicago, IL
keithbenedix@hotmail.com

New City YMCA Aikido
Chicago, IL
Sensei Stan Nevin, 5th Dan
new_city_aikido@yahoo.com
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
BC

I recommend you check out the Midwest Aikido Center. But then again, I'm biased.

Robert Cronin
Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
Tambreet
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
United_States

I've been training at the AAA Tenshinkan dojo for a little over the year now. It's the head dojo of the association, formerly run by Fumio Toyoda shihan until his unexpected death 5 years ago. It is now run by his son, Stephen Toyoda and many of his father's students still teach there.

I haven't seen any of the other Chicago aikido dojos, so I can't compare it to those, but I think we have a great group of students and I have only good things to say about all the yudansha who teach regularly there (I believe there are 8, all former students of Fumio Toyoda).

Stop by any time to talk to Stephen and to watch or try a class. The schedule is great at Tenshinkan with 3 hour-long classes Tues-Fri night, plus 2 on Monday night and 2 on Saturday afternoon.

Regarding Shinjinkai, that is a splinter dojo that is run by one of Fumio Toyoda's primary students who left or was asked to leave a number of years ago. I've heard he focuses more on the zen/spiritual aspects.

Last edited by Tambreet : 05-04-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

And don't forget Sato Sensei at http://www.kikumatsudojo.com the headquarters of the Aikido World Alliance, another off-shoot of the AAA.

JIm Baker

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 05-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

If you are interested in budo other than just aikido, take a close look at the offererings of Kuroda Sensei at one of your links above. Kuroda Sensei is regarded as one amazing martial artist. Since this is a study group, be sure to find out how much actual contact they have with him though.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote:
And don't forget Sato Sensei at http://www.kikumatsudojo.com the headquarters of the Aikido World Alliance, another off-shoot of the AAA.

JIm Baker
I trained with Sato Sensei in a seminar recently. He has good, clean aikido and is a very nice man. We had a good time.
Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Sebastian Brukalo wrote:
I am considering two(below) schools. However as many of you know it is very hard to choose, even if I go (which I am planning on..) to visit them, I may still have trouble choosing. Therefore I am taking the opportunity of this forums to ask the following question:

Can anyone here tell me anything about those two dojos? Perhaps there are some members here who either know those schools or are themselves students there:
My experience leads me to believe that more important than anything is the instructor.

I have found that there is little point in worrying too much about which style you choose. If you visit other dojo within the organization, you'll find that there's a world of difference between the same technique.

If I were the one asking the question, I'd like the response to be "Look for the one instructor who's technique is what you want and is a person you'd like to be like."

I'd say, find out about the instructor.