Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
deluxe1668

United_States
Question Aikido Magazine

Is there any magazine about Aikido? I know about the Aikido Magazine, but they stop issuing new ones already.
Any others magazines which I can subscribe and get it from the mail? I want hard copies not on the web.

Thanks for anyone answering.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: Aikido Magazine

I believe there is still one in Japanese language, but I don't know if it is distributed outside Japan. The cost of production and mailing, coupled with the relative slowness of hardcopy distribution versus the 'web, has just about killed anything beyond the odd organizational newsletter. Back issues of a few Aikido Today issues are still available, I think.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
deluxe1668

United_States

Maybe there are not much to write about for Aikido? That's y don't have one within the USA?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
crbateman

That's not it at all... there were two really good ones, but they became financially unfeasible, and took up too many resources to produce. That's progress...
Old 11-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Gotta go with Clark-san here.

IMHO, Aikido Today Magazine and Aikido Journal were both excellent resources. Neither are paper published due to cost, not due to lack of interest.

Darn it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:34 AM   #6
MM
United_States

Hmmm ... Aikido in print. It's hard to find, yes. But there are some publications out there.

Go to:
http://www.jiyushinkai.org/
Click on the "Books & Videos" button and scroll down to "Jiyushinkai Budo News". Non members can subscribe. If you click on the "Jiyushinkai Budo News" button itself on the left side, you can get some examples of what's been printed previously.

If you go here:
http://www.ittendojo.org/maginfo.htm
It appears that you could get a subscription to "Sword and Spirit" from Itten Dojo. I don't know for sure, though. It may be only for members, but a quick email would get an answer.

That's the two off the top of my head. There's probably more out there, though.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
deluxe1668

United_States

Thanks all of you.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
Adam Huss

United_States

There are some pretty good traditional Japanese martial art magazines. Can't remember the name right now, but they almost always have an article or two about aikido. Plus they are great magazines. I'll see if I can't find one to give you the title.
Cheers!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada

Aikido Journal is still published online at http://www.aikidojournal.com/ .

Cheers,

Paul
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

There's also the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, although I'm seldom seeing it at bookstores these days.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #11
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

The written word, as opposed to the Internet, is still flourishing in Japan. Hiroshima is a sleepy provincial city, but it has two enormous bookstores, both with a generous selection of books & videos/DVDs on the martial arts & aikido and magazines like Hiden and also Stan Pranin's Japanese-language Aiki News publication, entitled Dou.

Over the last few issues Dou has broadened its scope considerably and aikido is just one of the areas covered, though it is still a very important area.

The Aikikai Hombu publishes a bi-annual magazine entitled Aikido Tankyu (Aikido Research), which occasionally contains excellent scholarly articles. I have no idea whether this is profitable, however. The Aikikai also publishes the Aikido Shimbun (Aikido Newspaper). This used to contain discourses by the Founder, but nowdays seems mainly to be a record of important training seminars, especially those given by Doshu, and, especially, all dan ranks awarded by the Aikikai. The English-language version of this used to be a paper edition, but now appears on the Aikikai's website, in a rather truncated version and without the record of dan ranks awarded.

Occasionally there are discussions on the Internet about the number of people practising aikido per country. Japan is notorious for not having as many practitioners as might be expected, compared with France and the US, given that the martial arts and aikido originated here (though this judgment is not usually supported with any figures). It is curious, therefore, that there are still two Japanese-language aikido magazines available on subscription and in bookstores and other martial arts magazines that feature aikido. I wonder why people buy such magazines in Japan, in sufficient numbers for them to survive, but not elsewhere.

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
deluxe1668

United_States

The reason for I asked is because I am a vending operator. Therefore, I would like to some hard copy to read instead of on the web since I am on the road all the time.

I went to aikidojournal.com already and they don't have any hardcopies subscription.

Some are in pdf files but to printing it cuz some $$. ink and paper.

Martial arts magazine is ok but not much about aikido.

I am surprise such as terrific arts has no one doing publications.
Instead cars, home decorations, health and beauty, fashion, and guns have tons of magazines.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
crbateman

Statistics show that paid readership of newspapers, magazines, and most forms of the printed word have declined steadily in the "Internet years". It's just the way things are. People prefer 2-way information pathways. We are moving toward a paperless society. (We'll probably never fully get there, but that's the trend.)