Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-25-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
RoninKivjoru
Dojo: looking
Question Hakima (cotton/Polyester)

I was looking at Hakima to buy for Aikido/Iaido practice, and was wondering if there was a preference of materials. Maybe some pro's/con's of cotton or polyester Hakima. There isn't much of a price difference between the two. Thanks for you help.
Ronin Kivjoru

Chris Owen
Y'know Fellas, the most important thing is...
Breathe, breathe, breathe
-Sinichi Suzuki Sensei
Old 12-25-2001, 06:42 PM   #2
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Here is what I've learned. 100% cotton Hakama are probably the most traditional when it comes to fabric; that aside, I'm pretty certain that cotton/polyester blend hakama typically last a little longer. Cotton hakama tend to fade over time and with washings (whether tub-soaked or machine washed), while the cotton/polyester blend hakama hold their color better.

Cotton/polyester blend hakama seem to hold their pleats better, at least this has been my finding. During Iaido practice, you will be moving about on your feet and quite a bit in shikko, you will want a hakama which is durable, a hakama which will stand up to moving about on your knees. The same can be said for Aikido during Suwari Waza and Hanmi Hantachi Waza. My belief is that a cotton/polyester blend will stand up better.

Personally, I've owned several hakama. My first was a cheapy cotton/polyester blend that turned to garbage after about one month (you get what you pay for). My second was a nice Mugendo Budogu Tetron fabric hakama. It has stood the test of time, but I've since turned it over to my wife because it fits her better. My present hakama is a Bu Jin 8 oz. cotton/polyester twill blend. I love it! It holds pleats well, withstands the children tugging on it, and the "knees" have not even begun to show wear. My only recommendation with this hakama is that you either tub-soak it a few times or machine wash it before wearing it; otherwise you will turn your dogi black (or blue, depending on color of hakama).

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:20 PM   #3
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
TOZANDO.COM

Hello,
I am using a TOZANDO Hakama.
They make the Hakama in Japan and it is the best I ever had. Their Gi is also fantastic.

tozando.com

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 12-26-2001, 05:19 PM   #4
guest1234
You might want to check with your sempai/sensei(s), some have preferences in what they want to see on the mat...

I will admit to NOT having done this myself, in part because I was at a very tolerant-of-individuality dojo. I thought of it AFTER I placed my order, and then hesitantly approached my sensei (who luckily was very tolerant).

I don't know if you are the male or female version of 'Chris', but the Bu Jin women's hakama is loved by every woman I've met who owns one (I bought the male cotton/polyester twill version, which I am equally in love with).
Old 12-26-2001, 05:41 PM   #5
janet
Dojo: City Aikido
hakama fabric

My first hak was Bujin women's hak in cotton poly blend. It fit ok, it held its pleats very well, I did NOT like the "hand" (feel) of the fabric.

My second hak I made of a brushed cotton twill. It fit perfectly, it had a drape and feel to die for, and didn't hold pleats at all.

My third hak is Mugendo Budogo's tetron hak. Though I'm a round and hippy woman, it fits just fine--as well as the Bujin did. It holds its pleats in a death grip and I much prefer the feel of it to the cotton poly.

Third time's the charm, at least for me.

janet
Old 12-27-2001, 09:58 AM   #6
Keith R Lee
United_States
Smile Tozando

I also have a Tozando Hakama and have to say that it is the best I've ever worn. I have had cheap all polyester ones, and a Bu Jin Poly/cotton blend. The Tozando Hakama just seems to have superior craftsmenship in my opinion, as well as double reenforcing on all the stress points of a hakama. It holds the pleats very well and folds nicely. And hey, if its good enough for the Doshu and the Aikikai Hombu....

Keith Lee
Old 12-27-2001, 06:43 PM   #7
RoninKivjoru
Dojo: looking
Question Tozando

Keith:
Did you buy the cotton or polyester Hakima from Tozando?

Chris Owen
Y'know Fellas, the most important thing is...
Breathe, breathe, breathe
-Sinichi Suzuki Sensei
Old 01-02-2002, 04:07 AM   #8
momentrylapse
Dojo: Lancashire Aikikai
I have just recieved my first Tozando Hakama. I havent had a chance to use it but it looks and feels much better than my old miloms cheap hakamas.

I have the ah300 (tozandos cheapest at around £86 including embroidery of my name in japanese and postage to england)