Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-06-2005, 04:12 AM   #1
Steve_Nester
United Kingdom
Pyrography? for kanji on a ken?

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any tips for putting kanji onto a Ken.

A friend recently said to me to use Pyrography (Wood Burning) to burn the kanji on.

Does anyone know what would be the best way? I was thinking of carving it as well, but that would be very teadeous.

I would be interested in any tips or suggestions..

(I would like to do it myself rather than send it to a manufacturer, as I like the personal touch of working on my own ken)

Regards,

Steve N
Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Pyrography? for kanji on a ken?

Hi Steve,

I haven't tried to put kanji on a ken, but about 5 years ago my sister used her pyrograph to put my initials on the end of my ken and jo. It was very effective as they are still there, clear as day, after much use

It's a good idea to use pyrography as it's much longer lasting than ink and much neater than carving. I think it looks good too!

Maybe practise on a spare piece of wood until you are happy with the result, then go for it

Ruth
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

I tried it on both my jo (not brave enough to do my bokken). It is OK, but writing kanji with the tip of a soldering iron is a delicate art.
Practice as much as you can before trying it on your bokken. I haven't got that kind of time. Sadly. A brand would be more certain, but requires metal carving or casting, and in a mirror image at that.

I could think of some interesting alternatives, such as writing with thin, non-waterbased glue and dusting the character with gunpowder Matches --matches -- I know have some matches here somewhere ...

I REALLY don't have that kind of time

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 10-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Steve_Nester
United Kingdom

Not sure about the gun powder,,

I want something that is personal.. I think spending the time on the pyrographing would be just that.

I would have thought it was easier on a bokken rather than a jo as the bokken is wider. --?

I'll give it ago and let you know how it went..

fingers crossed!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

i put kanji on my bokken , i just carved it in.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Here is an interesting thought that Jun might even appreciate:

Lan Powers, a friend and aiki-buddy of mine, took one of Jun's "tattoo's" sold here on aiki-web and tattooed it to his Jo. Lan then used that kanji as a guide to burn the kanji into his jo.

Another tool that might be good would be a Drimmel wood carvering tool. They are small and made for little jobs like this or other things as well. I would think using a drimmel to carve the kanji via Jun's tattoo's would be a good way to get the cut into the wood... then you can come back with a soldering iron and burn the cut-out for a nice finish.

BUT... if you make money on this idea (and that goes for everyone! ) I expect to get paid! That or you can send me George Sensei's Randori DVD. Thanks

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Erick Mead

United_States
Re: Pyrography? for kanji on a ken? PYROKIDO !!!

I love this thread --- the unfathomable mysteries of Pyrokido.

No gunpowder , eh?

Another, less wild idea -- like with a spray-painting template

Take a printout of the kanji you want.

Fix it to a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Dont' wrinkle it.

Take a hobby knife/x-acto on a firm flat surface you can cut into, and cut the kanji out of the sheet material. Remove the paper.

Wrap/tape the foil sheet securely around the bokken, jo (insert object here) with the kanji oriented the way you want (shiny side out, no wrinkles).

With a small propane torch, or even a good butane torch-style lighter, lightly flame the exposed kanji areas until consistently charred to the degree desired.

To get deeper burn without too much bleed through make more, and lighter passes with longer cooling time between.

It should produce a fairly clear graphic and the foil will reflect the heat away from the unexposed wood.

I have done this for lettering on small plywood signs.

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 10-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
Steve_Nester
United Kingdom

Very good idea Erick, I think you are on to something there,,

I did a search for pyrographing and the drimmel was said to be the best for the small intregate peices but it costs a lot.

Its the weekend tomorrow and the adventure begins,, i think..

I hope i don't end up with a pyro-ash-pile (my poor bokken) :-(

wish me luck!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Steve man... practice! Don't start out on your bokken! Get some scrap piece of wood and practice a couple times before you go after Bokken-san!

Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
Erick Mead

United_States

I hope it works.

Remember that in cutting out the kanji there are no completely enclosed characters (unlike for instance "D" "B" "d" "b" p"" "o", etc. in the Western Alphabet). Paint templates for these letters typically require small bars to hold the interior

In kanji (or Chinese which is my background), even a nominally enclosed character (like the box at the bottom of "ai" in "ai-ki") has gaps between strokes. There are three separate strokes in that box figure. (As a separate character in Chinese it is "Ko," meaning "mouth.")

When cutting a template this is critical to remember to leave the gaps or exagerate them slightly.

Cordially,
Erick Mead