Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-05-2002, 08:32 AM   #1
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Erik's introduction

Hello,

my name is Erik Jurriën Knoops, but friends usualy call me Erik. I am 32 years and quite big and heavy (195 centimeters and approx. 110 kilograms, I leave it to somebody non-metric to convert this to feet, inches and stones)

I've been practising Aikido now for over 8 years at our nice, simple, but traditional dojo Shi Zen Ryu, www.shizenryu.nl , in the city of Leiden (for those interested the city where Rembrand was born) in the Netherlands. Our club is an completely independend Aikido club training Aikikai Aikido.

I used to train Shotokan Karate and Ju Jitsu before I started training Aikido. I was completely disapointed by the ego- and rank-obsesion I encountered at Karate and Ju Jitsu classes. This dislike is nowerdays still reflected in my dislike of rank, belts and the to often seen bad conduct of socalled advanced students.

I have no claims on the level of my aikido. I am what I am, yet I am also not willing to dismiss it as unimportant or insignificant. I am proud of what I do and I expect an absolute beginner to be proud of his/her level and training as well. In that respect there is no difference between beginners and advanced students.

I have visited different places and countries. I have trained in Holland, Belgium, Germany, Finland, France, England, The Isle of Man, Ireland and Switserland.

There are three teacher that are very special for me: Henry Kono, Alan Ruddock and Tom Verhoeven. The last one, Tom Verhoeven, is my own teacher at Shi Zen Ryu, a very nice and very skilled teacher. The first two, Henry Kono and Alan Ruddock, are both direct pupils of O'Sensei and are the most nice, soft and friendly men I have ever encountered in Aikido. They made me realize that soft Aikido means dangerous Aikido, that soft Aikido means fast Aikido and that soft Aikido means freedom in Aikido.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 02-05-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
Brian Crowley
Very nice & informative introduction. Your recognition of your teachers and what they taught you says a lot of good things about your character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik: They made me realize that soft Aikido means dangerous Aikido, that soft Aikido means fast Aikido and that soft Aikido means freedom in Aikido.
Very well said. I also came from a Karate background (although my experience was extremely positive). I was pleasantly surprised when I met an Aikido instructor - Vance Smith - who showed me how powerful a 'soft' approach to the marital arts can be. It changed the way I train forever.

Do you do take the Tai Chi classes offered at your school ? I think good Tai Chi adds a whole new dimension to training.

Brian