Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
MM
United_States
Why Haven't You Gone?

I'm curious. And yeah, it's the death of the cat thing. Well, the cat has nine lives and I'm not much of a cat person.

Anyway, this is a question to all those people who haven't made an effort to get their hands on, Rob John, Akuzawa, Mike Sigman, and Dan Harden.

Before you answer, please note that I don't expect an answer from those who haven't yet had a chance because of distance and money. Some people just won't have the money to go from the East Coast to the West Coast for a seminar (maybe because the timing isn't right, lack of income, etc).

But for all else, Why haven't you gone to get your hands on the above mentioned people?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Why Haven't You Gone?

I think at this point it may only be the choir that is listening and they're to the point of "Yeah, yeah, we fricking get it, shut up already!" . . . while those that naysay or don't care are saying or will say the same things they always have.

To be honest, if you haven't already either felt this stuff or made it a priority to make definite plans to feel this stuff -- then the likelihood of doing the work to retrain your body in order to burn this stuff -- seems very slim to me. (me being in the very very beginning stages of doing the work - it's hard from here and I don't imagine it ever getting easier)

Of course, some already may really be doing this stuff anyway, in which case they're likely also saying, "Yeah, yeah, we frickin' do it, too, shut up already!" . . . of course getting together to compare notes is the only way to be sure . . . preaching about it only goes so far

I like cats

*shutting up, now*

Last edited by Budd : 11-08-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

For some people, I'm sure that they just don't like the attitude in which some people post on the internet. So they are thinking, why should I take the time and effort to see someone and receive that same attitude in person.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Mike Sigman
United_States

The short answer is that most people are not driven (or motivated) like Mark or Budd. It's like kids asking questions, to some extent.

Some kids don't ask questions; they just conform. Some kids ask questions and listen to the answer; they're satisfied just having an answer, whether it makes sense or not. Some kids ask questions and then think about the answer they got, applying it to their understanding.

Some kids ask questions and get an answer, but then they raise the next question that the first answer raised. Then they keep asking questions. They're driven. Most people aren't like that.

In terms of Aikido, some people just do what the herd does. Some people do ask questions, but they accept the "learned" answer from some "high-ranking expert". The driven keep asking questions and looking around. In fact, that's why Ueshiba made it a habit to visit other dojos and arts, always looking for more information. Other experts that I know of do the same thing.

But then, each to his own. It just has to be expected that not everyone is as driven as others. Sometimes they're driven in something else other than your own interest. And of course, most people are really motivated to do things at a driven level. C'est la vie.

FWIW

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
MM
United_States

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
For some people, I'm sure that they just don't like the attitude in which some people post on the internet. So they are thinking, why should I take the time and effort to see someone and receive that same attitude in person.
Mike Braxton,

Thanks! It's really a good answer.

All I can offer in response is that from personal experience, I can say that my meetings with Dan, Mike, and Rob were a very good experience. I found all three to be friendly, helpful, and very good teachers.

Mark.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Mike Braxton,

All I can offer in response is that from personal experience, I can say that my meetings with Dan, Mike, and Rob were a very good experience. I found all three to be friendly, helpful, and very good teachers.

Mark.
While I have never met Dan, I have to say, that not only are Mike, Rob, and Akuzawa very friendly in person, they were all very open about what they do, and more than happy to demonstrate it to you.

Hunter
Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Erik Johnstone
Dojo: Shindokan Budo
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Mike Braxton,

Mark.
Hello!

I've been up see Dan a number times (would like to meet Mike, Rob & Akuzawa). I'm trying to get back up in the next few weeks. I have to echo Mark on this one. I've read Dan's posts for years, and I have to say that when I met him, he was " disarmingly" friendly and a hell of a lot of fun! I felt like I'd known him for years. The written word can be a funny thing because it really doesn't let you get a sense of who someone really is. I think that this may be the case with Dan.

EAJ

Respects,

Erik Johnstone
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
gdandscompserv

United_States

Mike,
I think you misread the question.
The question is; Why haven't You Gone?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
MM
United_States

Quote:
Erik Johnstone wrote: View Post
Hello!

I've been up see Dan a number times (would like to meet Mike, Rob & Akuzawa). I'm trying to get back up in the next few weeks. I have to echo Mark on this one. I've read Dan's posts for years, and I have to say that when I met him, he was " disarmingly" friendly and a hell of a lot of fun! I felt like I'd known him for years. The written word can be a funny thing because it really doesn't let you get a sense of who someone really is. I think that this may be the case with Dan.

EAJ
Hi Erik!
Nice to see you're still around, especially training. Have fun! I'd say work hard, but we know that's a given. lol.

Mark
Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Mike,
I think you misread the question.
The question is; Why haven't You Gone?
But, Mike did go. He met Rob.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Other than the cost and time of getting across the pond, I've not gone because I've been training with someone who can do this stuff for the last 10 years

That and the fact the Mike and Dan prob wouldn't appreciate my turning up on their doorstep

Wouldn't mind getting to train with Ark and Rob sometime but it'll be when they're in Europe and when if have a job if it ever happens

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr