Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #51
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Ki and "Connective Tissue"

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
Why would you not just thank Brett and David for sharing their knowledge? How will we develop skill if we cannot acknowledge our mistakes? Instruction is often a hard pill to swallow, but it is rarely without value.
I thank him for doing so. I thank anyone for doing so. I thank another if I think they are right or if IO think not. I thank you for your view too.

But sorry, if anyone believes a kanji means the words it can mean equals those words have thus the same meaning then I disagree.

Kanji or any written form is a symbol representing. It is not the source.

When overseeing someone working in a chocolate factory I may tell them to box the chocolates. When supervising a boxer who is losing the plot in a contest I may tell him to box not fight.

Box means packing into a box and box means to exercise the skills of boxing. One symbol, two meanings. Two meanings do not equal each other. Only when we know this can we start looking at the two meanings independantly and not think they are the same. A fault of some who mistranslate.

Anyway, that's all from me on that for it's off topic now.

I would like to know though what heart means in relation to IP though.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #52
Dazaifoo
Dojo: Chikushino Rental Dojo
Japan

Jumpin' Jiminy, here!
The Modern Reader's Japanese-English Character Dictionary, Second Revised Edition, 1974

心 1645/F686

SHIN heart, mind, spirit; motive, sense (of duty); padding; wick; core; marrow; vitality.

Kokoro mind, spirit; mentality; idea, thought; heart, feeling; wholeheartedness, sincerity, sympathy; attention; interest, care; will; intention; taste, mood; true meaning (of a poem); thought.

Notable compounds.
心臓  Shinzo Heart (organ)
心身  Shinshin Mind and Body
心肝  Shinkan/ Kokorogimo Heart

All clear?
Like mud.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #53
Travers Hughes
Dojo: Aikikai
Australia

Wanted to chime in here:

見ぬが花 (minu ga hana)

Literal translation is: "Not seeing is a flower"
(One possible) translation into modern-thinking english: "Reality cannot compete with imagination".
Modern interpretations of original messages can change to suit times. The original message does not.
The kanji 花 measn flower. It can be pronounced different ways when in combination with other kanji. The base meaning of flower does not change.

Sorry to interrupt - please carry on.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #54
Robert Cheshire

Dojo: Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Now I'm going to look back to the very roots of my aikido experience, to a document we called "Bearden's Manual." This was written by Capt. Thomas E. Bearded, US Army, stationed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama, where he also trained with Capt. Sadayuki Demizu, Japanese Air Self Defense Force, aikido sandan, and son-in-law of Minoru Mochizuki.

When some officers at Redstone learned of Demizu's aikido knowledge, they encouraged him to teach and he taught for some time at a rec center on base. Glenn Pack, a graduate student at the University of Alabama, was a teenaged student in Demizu's class, allowed access because his father worked on the base. Pack distributed Bearden's manual to the early generations of yoseikan aikido students at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa
So how did a military officer teach other military officers aikido? The manual begins by defining both aikido and ki:

II. GENERAL

a. AI-KI-DO : Three Japanese words which mean "the high moral Way of union of Ki."

1. AI - the union of two ki's meeting; entering into and deflecting the opponent's Ki.

2. KI - spiritual energy; body energy flow, controlled by the quiet mind.

3. DO - The Way, or high moral road of seeking enlightenment and self-mastery

This was how it was defined for the US Army by a Captain in the Japanese military studying rocket and missile technology.

The aikido he taught was much more mainstream in appearance than the yoseikan budo that supplanted it when Patrick Ague was sent at Thomas Bearden's request to Mochizuki. Demizu's aikido pretty well matched all the other aikido you could see. The pace may have been tougher with multiple military captains with black belts going full tilt...

David
David,

Did you know the book is available again? http://www.cheniere.org/sales/buy-ya.htm
I know you have an affinity for traditional Yoseikan and probably still have the original but wanted to pass the info along to you all the same.

Robert Cheshire
Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
www.yoseikanbudo.us