Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #51
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Re: Bujin Hakamas

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
Remember, black doesn't bleed!
But then you can't "smurf" all your friends! No fun!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 06-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #52
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Hi all:

Janet Rosen said: >> Best tip I ever got on hak repair was from a sempai who'd moved west from Chicago and told be they always used plumbers gasket to re-fill the koshita as needed. I've done so and darn if it isn't excellent - flexes, doesn't break, and you can comfortably roll/fall all over it.<<

I made my own hakama, and I used a mouse pad for the koshita. Works great. I've washed it a bunch of times and it is fine. I don't worry about rolling- it's soft, yet keeps it's shape.

e ya later
Jill. ;^)
Old 06-29-2007, 03:29 AM   #53
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
if you must try Bujin, go with the black. As I stated before, black doesn't bleed!
I bought a navy bujin one and had no bleeding whatsoever... errr... that came out all wrong I meant that the hakama didnīt bleed at all, of course However, a friend bought a black one from bujin which he had to soak in vinegar (a slightly better alternative to the urine methinks ) and wash a few times before it stopped bleeding. I think it may have to do with the washing method you choose - mine is a dry clean one whereas my friendīs is a machine wash one.

I would be interested in hearing what other peopleīs experience is in that regards as I am thinking about purchasing another hak from bujin but would like to avoid the bleeding problem...

Warm regards,
Sonja
Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 AM   #54
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote: View Post
I bought a navy bujin one and had no bleeding whatsoever... errr... that came out all wrong I meant that the hakama didnīt bleed at all, of course However, a friend bought a black one from bujin which he had to soak in vinegar (a slightly better alternative to the urine methinks ) and wash a few times before it stopped bleeding. I think it may have to do with the washing method you choose - mine is a dry clean one whereas my friendīs is a machine wash one.

I would be interested in hearing what other peopleīs experience is in that regards as I am thinking about purchasing another hak from bujin but would like to avoid the bleeding problem...

Warm regards,
Sonja
As I stated earlier, try Tozando.com.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #55
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote: View Post

Warm regards,
Sonja
Bleeding problems only come up with cotton hakama, particularly those that were dyed with real indigo. I love the way indigo dyed hakama look, but if you train on a canvas floor and sweat at all, they will continue to bleed. I don't think Bu Jin's blue hakama use real indigo dye, and my black cotton hakama from them didn't bleed.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #56
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

A friend of mine and I bought almost identical Bujin hakama at the same time, the only difference being that his was the regular version and mine was the women's cut. His has never bled, and mine has just about turned my (also Bujin) dogi a lovely shade of periwinkle. Fortunately we practice on blue mats, so they aren't much worse for the wear. I'm going to try (again) to soak the hakama in vinegar and the gi in bleach this week to see if I cant get them to stay the right colors.

We both cheated and got the sewn-in pleats option, which I love for quick folding but I'm not so happy with the way it hangs as a result. I can easily take the front himo around two and a half times. My only issue with it is that after about six months of use, the front himo started to detach from the top of the hakama. That might be a product of my overly-tight tying technique, or it might not.

Still, I'll probably buy another from Bujin when the time comes. And I will definitely buy another one of the 12 ounce women's cut dogi. I've owned more than my share of judo and karate gi over the years, and I have to say that is absolutely the coolest (temperature-wise) and most comfortable uniform I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

Lori