Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2001, 09:23 PM   #1
Erik
I give you

"Aikido Tips and Tactics".

I found this little gem in Borders today and spent part of the afternoon laughing my ass off. I don't even know where to start it's so bad.

I really don't!

It's that bad!

No, it's worse than that.

This book makes Bruce Tegner look like a goddamn certified Aikido genius. Take the 10 all time worst martial arts books, combine everything that makes them terrible, and the resulting book will still be better than this.

These guys know as much about Aikido as I now about playing the banjo. Check that, at least I know what a banjo is when I see it.

If anyone here needs a laugh, I encourage them to go to their local bookstore and take a look at this book.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:03 AM   #2
DiNalt
Care to post a few quotes ? :P
Old 01-21-2001, 11:03 AM   #3
Matt Banks
Yeah, on another website I posted I comment about the exact same book. Its is an absolute joke, I was in tears. It written by Garry Bennet I think the name is, he has pronounced himself a 10th dan, and his spelling mistakes are numerous. Everyone go to amazon.com and write a bad review of it, that way the guy wont make any more money.

Matt

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 01-21-2001, 03:27 PM   #4
Gerardo A Torres
Dojo: Aikido West
United_States
On my way home I stopped at the bookstore just to satisfy my curiosity about the "Aikido Tips and Tactics" book. It seems to be a series of books, since I also saw "Taekwondo Tips and Tactics," by the same publisher, and using the same cluttered format.

The author, Grandmaster Bennett (10th dan), founded his own aikido style where the techniques seem to be performed with almost no footwork or movement of the center. Just grab the wrist and do kotegaeshi or sankyo.

I am in no place to pass judgement on the people who train this art. That would be wrong. But looking at the fatal mistakes they make (from a martial art's point of view) I cannot help feeling sorry for them.

And you were right, Erik, the book is that bad. And a lengthy one too! For example, they could omit all the irrelevant information about samurai history and weightlifting (with pictures) and write something about the person known as O'Sensei. I find it disturbing that someone might pick up this book and think is aikido.

Anyway, after browsing through that book, in order to forget the whole thing I had to look at a real aikido book, so I grabbed a wonderful little book called "Aikido for Kids" (Santoro) --I read the whole book and I thought it was great!