Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
sorokod
United Kingdom
Awasekagami

This came up in an interview with the founder ( http://members.aikidojournal.com/pri...hei-ueshiba-2/ )

Quote:
Q. Is the sword used in Aikido?
A. Yes, it is. A sword is opposing mirrors (awasekagami) of Heaven. It represents an act of celebration.
What does the expression Awasekagami - opposing mirrors means?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Awasekagami

"A woman is examining her hair with a set of "awasekagami" mirrors. The state of the hair at the back of the head was an important part of women's etiquette."

http://oldphoto.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/...et.php?id=2498

So perhaps an artefact that shows something of yourself that is normally hidden.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Carl Thompson

Japan

I can't see the interview but I'd like to see the original Japanese that the founder used. I wonder what "celebration" comes from. Does anyone out there know?

Hirosawa Shihan often said "aite o hansha suru" (reflect your opponent). I think it referred to the connection point with the training partner, literally mirroring the angles and so on. But that (angles, tai sabaki etc) is talking about the things that aren't hidden.

Carl
Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
I can't see the interview but I'd like to see the original Japanese that the founder used. I wonder what "celebration" comes from. Does anyone out there know?
The interview was published in Shukan Yomiuri, May 27, 1956. Perhaps it's one of these: http://www.onejp.ru/category/lots/19186

Last edited by sorokod : 12-28-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Carl Thompson

Japan

In addition to the quote in the OP, "Awasekagami" is a kuden (oral transmission) from Osensei.

I'd heard a couple of teachers who learned directly from the founder using expressions like "try to see your own reflection here" but recently I heard one describe the usage clearly and explain it as a kuden. It's a little different from Hirosawa's usage that I mentioned earlier since the awasekagami reflects oneself, not you reflecting the opponent.

Carl

Last edited by Carl Thompson : 04-08-2013 at 12:30 AM.