Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #1
Henning Ulseth

Dojo: Stavanger Aikido School
Norway
Dogi - Dresscode

Hello all

I have been looking for information on how to put on the dogi in a correct manner. I remember reading somewhere on the web that in the old days the dogi was put on in a certain way, so that they always would be ready for battle. But I can't seem to find the website anymore. I hope some you can help me! And if there is a more complete "list" of clothing/getting ready etiquette, I would be most interested

...the Key is to Do the Eye
Old 10-21-2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Re: Dogi - Dresscode

only thing i have heard about putting on a dogi is that the jacket is fastened left over right.
I have heard they bury you with your jacket fastened right over left.

and if it is right over left then it can hinder the drawing of a katana on your left hip as it could get caught in the opening of your jacket

Kev

Old 10-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Henning Ulseth

Norway

Thanx Kev...but I was more thinking of if the pants go on first or visa-versa? And of a generell clothing etiquette...if possible

Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henning Ulseth wrote:
Hello all

in the old days the dogi was put on in a certain way, so that they always would be ready for battle.
Quote:
Henning Ulseth wrote:
but I was more thinking of if the pants go on first or visa-versa
Would you want to run into battle with no pants or trousers on? Perhaps it's trousers first?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

This is from memory, which isn't as good as it used to be, so don't take it for gospel.

In Autumn Lightning by Dave Lowry I believe he mentions that the jacket is put on (but not tied closed), then the pants, then the belt. He also talks about how his sensei told him that when you sit to go to the bathroom to pull one leg completely out of your pants so you can move if you're attacked in there.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
Henning Ulseth

Norway

Thanx Bronson I think this is what I slightly remember. And it does seem logical!
And the toilet-etiquette...hehe...I hope I won't have to go boomboom in the dojo anytime soon But seriously...that to makes sense...I guess, hehehe. Thanx again!

Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 AM   #7
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Well if you read "Angry white pyjamas" it says that a true japanese does not wear underclothes under dogi trousers. I know that there are people on this website that were on that particular course so please feel free to correct me.

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

One of the ways I have seen a great many old-timers suit up seems like it's sequenced to insure that you almost always have enough clothes on to run outside in case of fire or imminent attack, while allowing for reasonable modesty.

If doing koryu or kendo, or if you just have an extra-long kendo style top, omit step four.

1. Take off shirt

2. Put on upper half of keiko gi.

3. Take off trousers (and underwear if going commando) The keiko gi top protects modesty if it is long enough.

4. Put on lower half of keiko gi and tie pants.

5. Put on obi.

6. Put on hakama, front panel first so that nature calls require minimum of undressing.

Hope this helps,

Fred Little
Old 10-21-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Tim Gerrard wrote:
Well if you read "Angry white pyjamas" it says that a true japanese does not wear underclothes under dogi trousers. I know that there are people on this website that were on that particular course so please feel free to correct me.
I don't know if the correct term would be "true Japanese", but I do know that we laughed at guys who wore underclothes under their dogi pants. They soon stopped <grin>

It *is* much more comfortable. Try it...you'll like it

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-21-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Zato Ichi

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
I don't know if the correct term would be "true Japanese", but I do know that we laughed at guys who wore underclothes under their dogi pants. They soon stopped <grin>

It *is* much more comfortable. Try it...you'll like it
Well, I, for one, am quite happy to wear underwear. I think it's important, especially for those of his who are not the most dexterous people. For example:

About a week ago, I was practicing suwari waza. My partner and I were facing other in seiza, serious... ready. Shinken shobu, I think is the Japanese expression. We bowed. Then as I started to do shikko... I heard a sound not unlike ripping fabric. And, lo and behold, it was ripping fabric. I had just torn a nice big hole in the crotch of my pants

Suffice it say, my underwear prevented my female partner laughing and pointing at my... uh... lack of endowment.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Hori-san;

Not that I'm checking but I think there is only one in the dojo (S. sensei), at least that changes in the boys room, that goes commando.

And no it is not more comfortable. Even boxer shorts have serious problems. I was doing the last of your next set of 8 techniques (tanto dori) and was stepped on (the pin is from behind). I will not describe the bruising pattern except to extol the virtues of jockey shorts.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-21-2004, 10:30 PM   #12
maikerus
Japan

You guys are wimps. I mean that in the nicest way

I have had that ripping sound happen to me, Hori-san. Not the best feeling, but just train through it.

We had one woman who also went underwearless. During a hajime session her dogi pants string somehow got undone. She was senshusei so its not as if she could stop training. The instructor didn't notice until the dogi pants slipped halfway down her thigh. He stopped the hajime long enough for her to tie herself back up.

And I really feel that it is much more comfortable during long hajime sessions when the sweat is pouring out of every pore and its 37 degrees and you are dieing. The rest of the time its still comfortable, just not as noticable. I've only regretted it once and that was on some whirlwind ikkajo thing where I was uke and I don't think anything would have saved me the way my belly-flop (okay..lower than belly-flop) smash landing took me.

Of course...maybe its my Scottish heritage coming through.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #13
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

[quote][quote=Michael Stuempel

We had one woman who also went underwearless. During a hajime session her dogi pants string somehow got undone. She was senshusei so its not as if she could stop training. The instructor didn't notice until the dogi pants slipped halfway down her thigh. He stopped the hajime long enough for her to tie herself back up.[/QUOTE]

And all the fret boyz stopped and oogle?

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:55 PM   #14
maikerus
Japan

Boon...Are you kidding. This was senshusei, man. Stopping for anything meant pain and destruction beyond imagination.

Last edited by maikerus : 10-21-2004 at 11:01 PM.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:09 PM   #15
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

You guys are just too discipline... my hats off.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:31 AM   #16
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I can`t remember where I read it (if I read it), or who said it, but the process described by Fred above pretty much the same that I heard. The reason given was that one should never be caught in a state of total undress.

It was a few years ago now, but I have adhered to that process ever since, reversing it when changing at the end of class as we don`t have a shower at the dojo. It certainly protects modesty as we don`t have changing rooms either.

Rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-22-2004, 04:57 AM   #17
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

know this is not what your looking for, but in the old days the samurai did not wear dogi pants. So back in the old old days the dress procedure was:
1. underwear
2. long robe that went down to the knees, not sure what it is called. tied with obi.
3. then hakama pants, longer or shorter depending on status and the weather.
4. then Armour.

No underwear while wearing white pants? I do hope all of you who practice this wear hakama!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #18
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

No way, Michael!

The only thing between me and everyone else on the mat is my thin, white pants!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:58 AM   #19
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

Now thats what I call motivation for keeping proper distance!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #20
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
No underwear while wearing white pants? I do hope all of you who practice this wear hakama!
hehe, no, its a yoshinkan thing (one part *I* don't practice), and we tend not to wear hakama under third dan. In the senshusei course, you all start as white belts anyway...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #21
mustard
Canada

Hi,you are right no underwear,and I have trained with Sensei R mustard.Whom the book angry white pyjamas was writen about,Senseis school is in Burnaby B,C.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #22
mustard
Canada

hi angry white pyjamas,was written about Sensei Mustard Robert,it was written by a student who trained in Japan,under the guidance of Sensei
Old 10-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #23
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I could never do this. Not out of personal insecurity. All the ladies in the dojo would be too turned on / distracted to keep practicing.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 10-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #24
Niamh Marie O'Leary-Liu
Dojo: Aikido of Ramapo Valley
United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
No way, Michael!

No wonder they were ANGRY White Pajamas...
Old 10-23-2004, 01:44 AM   #25
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
I could never do this. Not out of personal insecurity. All the ladies in the dojo would be too turned on / distracted to keep practicing.

You see, there really is no ego in Aikido, Just Nathan the legend in his own trousers

Actually, Michael has a point above, the summer heat in Japan is pretty damn humid at the best of times, a lot of people in the dojo`s I trained at went commando due to the excessive sweating during keiko. I have tried it myself on occasion, it isn`t that bad, although can be uncomfortable at times . The Japanese dogi`s that I have all have quite thick trousers, and long jackets, so modesty is not compromised, it`s really down to personal preference.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"