Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2004, 02:09 AM   #1
Chris Birke
Atemi

What is the etymology of the word Atemi? The German verb for breathe is atmen. In some religions Atma means soul. It must be a very ancient word if all of these share a common root. Does anyone have more insight?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:40 AM   #2
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland
Re: Atemi

ATEMI= To strike a vital point instead of punching and pounding.

To distract uke from using other hand so you can apply somthing.

To finish the situation wether you use a technique or not
Old 05-06-2004, 05:53 AM   #3
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Chris,

With respect, I think you're reaching.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-06-2004, 07:07 AM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
What is the etymology of the word Atemi? The German verb for breathe is atmen. In some religions Atma means soul. It must be a very ancient word if all of these share a common root. Does anyone have more insight?
Hello Chris. I agree that the words sound the same, but the meanings are quite different. None of these words share a common root and 'atemi' has nothing to do with words in other languages for breathing or souls.

The basic meaning of 'atemi' is 'strike the body' and the etymology is obviously related to Chinese. The Chinese reading of 'ateru' is TOU and of 'mi' is SHIN. The kanji are: ??? and became part of the language when Chinese characters were introduced to Japan.

The first character means 'strike', the second means 'body' (the middle character simply marks a verb ending). So it is very simple. It means hitting the guy/lass, hopefully before he/she hits you. So it is what you do in a bar, if you are a bouncer, if you think that a customer is about to attack you. It has nothing whatever to do with breathing or religion, except that knowing how to breathe, and being religious, might help you to do it better.

Best regards,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 05-06-2004 at 07:13 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-06-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Chris Birke

I'm glad it turned out to be such a useful thread. Its obivious then that there is no relation between atemi and the other words, but it was close enough to make me curious.

I was googling it myself, and came across this:

"Etymology: Today's word is the Latin word animus "soul, spirit, intellect" lifted whole from the language. "Animal" originally referred to all beings considered to have a soul, thus living beings. The root comes, interestingly enough, from a Proto-Indo-European root (*anê-) meaning "to breathe." Our ancestors thought that our breath was our soul, the spirit of life itself. In ancient Avestan, a Western Indic language, antya meant "breath in." Sanskrit atman "soul" and German atmen "breath" are also probably related, though the loss of nasalization that converted the [n] to [t] is not a common change. Two other cousins are Greek anemos "wind" and Russian von' "stink," which goes back to Old Slavic "vonya" from earlier *anya." "
http://conferences.sad6.k12.me.us/wo...ACA00-00AD8D8A
Old 05-06-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Yes, agreed, but the Greek/Sanskrit anemos concept is quite different from atemi in Japanese. It is interesting that pneuma/animos has its own counteparts in Japanese with shin and kokyu. But ateru/atemi is quite different.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I put two posts in here yesterday in answer to Peter`s comments on displaying Kanji on Aikiweb

Both Peter`s comments and my posts have disappeared from the thread????

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I believe they have been moved to the feedback forum.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-09-2004, 05:03 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Blush! Re: Atemi

Quote:
Bronson wrote:
I believe they have been moved to the feedback forum.

Bronson
Thanks Bronson, I am only recently venturing outside of the General section, guess I ought to look around a bit more

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"