Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Dear friends,

Has anybody watch the 'Go Warrior' program on Discovery Channel yet? I read somewhere it was shot somewhere in end of Year 2003, and it featured among other martial art, Yoshinkan Style aikido. In Malaysia, it will be feature on our celestial based channel Astro Discovery Channel, on July 21 at 10.00 pm local time.

Any comment on that show, if you have watch it already.

Thanks,

Boon
Old 06-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

http://www.discoverytravelandadventu...ghlight1.shtml

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-05-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

In case like me you didn't spot it, Ron's link is for the UK channel schedule. There was me automatically thinking it was for the US, consequently I spent the last 15 minutes looking for the UK version ! Not sure if this schedule is the same globally though?

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

OOppps.....

Sorry to cost you that extra time!

Ron (embarrased...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
batemanb

Nay worries Ron, if I 'd paid attention to the link in the first place. I'll have a look at it on Friday and let you folks know, appears to be in a similar vein to the recent series on National Geographic, the first one is about Jiu Jitsu.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Strepto
Canada

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Nay worries Ron, if I 'd paid attention to the link in the first place. I'll have a look at it on Friday and let you folks know, appears to be in a similar vein to the recent series on National Geographic, the first one is about Jiu Jitsu.

rgds

Bryan
Do you know what the series is called on National Geographic? Is it in north america?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:12 AM   #7
batemanb

It was called "Deadly Arts", there are other threads on it here

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...nal+geographic

and here

As for re-runs in the US, I'm afraid have no idea.

rgds

Bryan

Old 07-13-2004, 01:09 AM   #8
batemanb

I watched this on Friday, it was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I missed the first couple of minutes, so didn't get a bio on the guy presenting, I have no idea what his martial arts background is, if any?

Friday's episode was set in Brazil mixing with the Gracie's. It was excellent to see Helio Gracie still rolling around the mat at 91 years old, very impressive.

rgds

Bryan

Old 07-13-2004, 04:37 AM   #9
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
I watched this on Friday, it was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I missed the first couple of minutes, so didn't get a bio on the guy presenting, I have no idea what his martial arts background is, if any?

Friday's episode was set in Brazil mixing with the Gracie's. It was excellent to see Helio Gracie still rolling around the mat at 91 years old, very impressive.

rgds

Bryan
Bryan,

The presenter of the "Go Warrior" program is Roland Osbourne. I'm also interested in his MA background. Some weeks ago, the crew was in Malaysia and they got the BJJ, TKD, Aikido, Silat people do a demo to launch the show in Malaysia. Despite the program covering a lot of Yoshinkan style of aikido, the presenter was very opinionated that aikido is a fake martial art in his discussion with the local aikido people. I would like to know his definition of a fake MA.

Regards

David Y
Old 07-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #10
batemanb

Quote:
David Yap wrote:
Bryan,

The presenter of the "Go Warrior" program is Roland Osbourne. I'm also interested in his MA background. Some weeks ago, the crew was in Malaysia and they got the BJJ, TKD, Aikido, Silat people do a demo to launch the show in Malaysia. Despite the program covering a lot of Yoshinkan style of aikido, the presenter was very opinionated that aikido is a fake martial art in his discussion with the local aikido people. I would like to know his definition of a fake MA.

Regards

David Y
I've done a bit of googling, he's apparently top drawer! Started Karate at 11 and was teaching his own classes by 13.

http://cabletv.starhub.com/eng/featu...64,497,00.html

http://star-ecentral.com/news/story....0&sec=tvnradio

Even better, sorry to sound cynical but

http://www.reddragonkaratecovina.com/aboutus.htm

Sensei Roland Osborne is proficient in: Karate, Judo, Aikido, Self Defense, Sport Karate, Kobudo (weaponry)
Specializing in: Tournament competition training, personal development and life skills, special weapon forms and open forms choreography, plyometrics for martial arts and Creating Champions For The Game Of Life

Although it neglects to mention when, where or how long he studied the art

Found this on e-budo in the Bad Budo section

"For those who are paid instructors with Casamassa's Red Dragon studios, their paycheck is based on how much they sell, not on how well they teach.

"Our instructors must be business people," says Lou Casamassa of Los Angeles, California. "No sale, no pay. Also, the more they sell the higher commission they receive. Commission levels begin
at fifteen percent. Once they reach the thirty five percent level, it's time for them to leave and open a studio of their own." We at Red Dragon either turnkey their operation or they open it with their own investment."

I couldn't find much on e-budo, but anyone who calls themselves Shihan Sensei is a prime candidate.

http://akkfmember.com/FOUNDER.HTM

I could probably have constructed this post better, but was pasting in info as I found it.

Hey ho!

I think I'll carry on watching the program to see what he says, specifically about Aikido, but will take his comments with a pinch of salt. It's a shame that many of the populace that watch this may not be so informed about our hero.

rgds

Bryan

Last edited by batemanb : 07-13-2004 at 06:53 AM.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:17 AM   #11
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

That's wrong date and time but correct channel! 10pm, 21st July in Discovery Channel (by Malaysia listing of cable tv) will be TKD not Aikido, then the next is Russian Systema.

The correct date and time of Aikido is 22nd July 10.30 pm, it will be half hour later of BJJ. That's excatly Discovery Channel!

check it out

KamiKaze
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #12
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Ah Boon,

Farid informs me that Thomas Makiyama will appears in Tonight, Thomas Makiyama is the founder of Keijutsukai and Keijutsukai is a branch of Yoshinkan style. Anything, there's belongs to Aikikai style.

KamiKaze
Old 07-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #13
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Actually this is a different series. Instead of an hour per art with Jossette this 30 mins per art with Roland, who looks to be a skater dude with a TKD Dan if I had to guess. Wait a sec, oh karate apparently. I've only seen the Systema and TKD episodes, they're actually not too bad as an introduction. Looking forward to the BJJ one - should be a good 30 min primer for those who want to know what it's all about....

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 07-22-2004, 04:01 AM   #14
Ian Williams

saw the systema and TKD last night.. hyperactive in the annoyingly american jazzy style (apologies to our buddies across the bigpond! I know that must sound hypocritical with "our" Steve Irwin) but when he shuts up with the woahs and likes and narly stuff, the content isn't too bad - good to see some time given to Systema and good to see someone who's too young to remember the cold war giving the "damn ruskies" some respect.

I think it's a direct rip off of the much better (IMO) dead arts program with Joesette

Tsutsumi Ryu Jujitsu
Adelaide, South Australia

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Old 07-23-2004, 01:24 AM   #15
xuzen

Malaysia

Dear all,

I watched the BJJ and Aikido segment yesterday. He was plastered after a work out with the Yoshinkan senshusei lads. I too am usually out of breath after a good round of jiyu waza, well it is good to know that someone so young and fit like Roland (the host) gets all out of breath after training - Yoshinkan style. It is comfortable thoughts to know that despite being an average joe with a regular job (a non athlete) , I still can go jiyu waza - yoshinkan style. Whew! pant pant pant.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:12 AM   #16
batemanb

Quote:
Boon Soh wrote:
Dear all,

I watched the BJJ and Aikido segment yesterday..

Is this programme shown different elsewhere?

The first episode I saw was all BJJ, the second was TKD, but he only seems to focus on one art per episode. I'm not sure what tonights program content is here?

Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 AM   #17
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Is this programme shown different elsewhere?

The first episode I saw was all BJJ, the second was TKD, but he only seems to focus on one art per episode. I'm not sure what tonights program content is here?
Why don't you gotta check local listing?

KamiKaze
Old 07-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #18
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Ian Williams wrote:
saw the systema and TKD last night.. hyperactive in the annoyingly american jazzy style (apologies to our buddies across the bigpond! I know that must sound hypocritical with "our" Steve Irwin) but when he shuts up with the woahs and likes and narly stuff, the content isn't too bad - good to see some time given to Systema and good to see someone who's too young to remember the cold war giving the "damn ruskies" some respect.

I think it's a direct rip off of the much better (IMO) dead arts program with Joesette
Aikido by Roland in Discovery is better than Jossete's NGC, i fall in love of Yoshinkan action shots while i'm an Aikikai member. I don't belief that Yoshinkan is gentle!

KamiKaze
Old 07-23-2004, 06:12 AM   #19
batemanb

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
Why don't you gotta check local listing?
You missed the point Anthony, the previous quote seemed to imply that one episode covered more than one art, whilst here in the UK it appears that one episode covers one art. That's what I was questioning, I wasn't asking what tonights content is.

rgds

Bryan

Old 07-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #20
frivolouspig
Canada

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:

and here

As for re-runs in the US, I'm afraid have no idea.

rgds

Bryan

I have a copy of the show on Aikido saved to my computer, I'd be happy to share it however at 862 MB (1hr at near tv quality) its a little big. I'll upload to an ftp server if someone has the space and bandwidth to host the file for others to download.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #21
batemanb

Saw the Systema one tonight, I thought it was very interesting, but I thought that after I saw the videos on the Sytema web site. I don`t think that these programs even attempt to scratch the surface, he seems to spend about a week training and then fit all that in to 30 minutes along with a bit of tourism, doesn`t leave room for much!

Old 07-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #22
Darren_Friend
Dojo: Yoshinkan honbu
Australia
Thumbs down Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

The go warrior series went to air in Australia and Asia week. I believe it also was shown in the UK. For details on the series visit

www.go-warrior.com

I was the Aikido Coordinator for the show, you can see some behind the scenes shots on our website

www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com

Its not an in depth documentary, but rather introduces each of the arts and gives some background on their history, culture and the personalities training. Hopefully it will inspire more people to train aikido, especially Yoshinkan Aikido
Old 07-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #23
Ian Williams

Quote:
Its not an in depth documentary
indeed...

Tsutsumi Ryu Jujitsu
Adelaide, South Australia

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Old 07-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #24
xuzen

Malaysia

Should anyone watched the BJJ segments, tell me, with a body-physique like Royler Gracie (insert wolf-whistle here, tq), isn't it good enough reason alone to train in BJJ. Additionally with the beach and those hot hot Rio chicks (pls, I am not being chauvinistic, more like awe inspired) in abundance, it is just too much to concentrate on the host and what he was talking about. Maybe the show ratings would go even higher if there were more visuals of hot Rio chicks . This makes me wanna pack my bags and have along stay in Rio.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:59 AM   #25
batemanb

It certainly hasn't been an indepth series, although it has been interesting. Roland has been an able presenter, even if his background does read like something offf of e-budo's bad budo forums. This Friday is the 4th (and final?) episode here in the UK, and since we haven't seen it yet, I'm assuming it's the Aikido one.

rgds

Bryan