Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-12-2002, 01:57 AM   #1
David Luddingto
Dojo: Takke Musu, Somerset
Question Left and right

Hi
I am looking for info on the spiritual significance on the left and right side of the body within Aikido. For example, in the exersice torrefume (sp?) we make a different sound for left and right - connected to heart or liver. But I feel there's a lot more to this than I currently know.
Thanks
David Luddington
Old 08-12-2002, 04:34 AM   #2
mike lee
Cool digging deep

The only thing I know about left and right is from an old coal miners' song. It says something like: One fist is iron, the other steel; if one don't get ya, the other one will.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:26 AM   #3
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
... but only if you owe your soul to the company store. hee hee!

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:06 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
I am not familiar with the significance of different sounds for different sides stimulating different organs. I cannot site any references.

You may need to check into bi-lateral movement as it effects the left and right hemisphere of the brain. There is some sound significance to energizing and balancing the chakra system (though the liver is not usually consider a chakra site). Check the accupunture meridian literature.

Best bet, ask you Sensei. If you are being taught this, they should be able to explain it to you and tell you why. I find an intellectual understanding and acceptance of the principle helps my training.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:18 PM   #5
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
positive and negative energy

The relation of different exercises and sounds are related to the positive and negative energy that makes up the bodys nervous system, sometimes called the positive and negative chi/ki flow.

When examining the kotodama, the sounds of the universe that affect movement, and many healing practices, we find that polarity of the natural body is different in men and women.

Hence, with the healing sounds, the practices of martial arts, and even examining the different areas of the body that generate different polarities of energy, you will find affecting stimuli that causes healing, increased power to the muscular action, or even vibrations that seem to cause different levels of conciousness such as yoga practice with sound.

After reading more than fifty books about yoga, a hundred books about martial arts, and then experiencing pressure point knock outs while using accupressure to sooth my aches and pains, I am a believer in using proven techniques to increase health, wellbeing, and sometimes increase strength of movements with sounds.

Left and right?

Find out why some strikes or movements are more effective due to the bodys polarity, and then you will find most of the answers you seek.