Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 AM   #126
MM
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Quote:
Mike Haft wrote: View Post
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. If you want to get into a pissing contest about how many people cross train with you that's fine, I have plenty of folks from other arts who cross train with me, yet I don't boast about it, nor do I go to the forums for the arts they practice and talk about how they're doing these things wrong.

I note that you haven't answered my question. Why not? Or are you going to just tell me that lots of aikido guys trained with you last night again? Perhaps I'll get another round of responses telling the world how great you are and telling me to shutup because I keep asking you why you are here on this forum in the first place. You wouldn't believe the brown-nosing PM I got recently from one of your pals.

Why are you here Dan? What do you hope to achieve?

Mike
Don't suppose you would take this offline or to the "Why are you here thread" where it really belongs?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #127
Ben Joiner
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
Wales

Hi all,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, and in that role I've read many posts by both Mike Haft and Dan Harden and others. To Mike H I would say that from what I've READ you seem to be on the same page as Dan, Mike, Rob etc in terms of the usefulness of these internal skills within Aikido paradigm AND your stated ability to apply this stuff. I would say however, that from what I've READ many people here (see above posts) aren't even aware (or don't want to be told) that there MAY be something missing from what they do in their aikido dojos. I know I wasn't, we have a different and equally valid focus where I train.

Reading these posts has lead me to think about broadening my horizons, and for that I thank all involved including those from outside aikido. Reading only gets you so far after all. So I'm off to Paris to meet up with Rob in April and will write up my thoughts when I get back. I have also on the basis of what I've READ considered going to see Mike H north of the border if there's more than an evenings training available, or popping down to Dartington to train with Mark Freeman whose posts have again pricked my interest.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about or what it is people feel the need to defend.

Respectfully,

Ben
Old 03-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #128
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Probably should but I think that the why are you here thread and this one are about the same thing really, hence the convergence.

I would just like to say one thing following a few strange PM's etc..

I am not questioning, nor have I ever doubted the abilities, good nature etc of Mike and Dan. If they can do the things they describe then fine (people who have met them seem to think they can so I'm sure they can), other peopel can do them too. They say that these things have been lost to aikido. This is not true. They have been actively taught for the last 50 years or so within aikido, if your instructor does not teach it ask him or her why, if they don't know the answer tell them to ask their own instructor, it's a reasonable question I think, and if the answer is 'we don't think it's important', then so be it, so long as you're comfortable with that. I agree wholeheartedly that the sorts of things they talk about are fundamental to aikido, but they are still part of aikido if you look for them, they have not left the art. You need not import chinese internal principles and training methods or anything else into aikido to make it real, effective and useful as a means of defence.

I do not understand if it is some sort of ego trip to come to an aikido forum to tell aikido people they are doing things wrong or not. I only know that I wouldn't go elsewehere and lecture people about ki principles. It smacks a little too much of self publicism and posting fliers for 'the one true way' IMO. So I ask, why are you here? What do you hope to acheive by educating us all as to the way you do things in your (non-aikido) dojo?

Anyway I'll be away from the keyboard for a few weeks so I doubt you'll see me reply after today anyway if it makes you feel better.

Regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 03-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #129
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ben Joiner wrote: View Post
I have also on the basis of what I've READ considered going to see Mike H north of the border if there's more than an evenings training available

SNIP

I just don't see what all the fuss is about or what it is people feel the need to defend.
Don't come to see me, looking at your profile you're closer to my teacher. He's based near Crediton in Devon. PM me for details if you want, you'll learn more from him than me cos I'm really not that good to be honest.

I'm also beginning to get tired of this whole thing. Feeling like I might just send Dan and Mike a crate of beer for their troubles and knock it all on the head. Think I let the PM's and other stuff get to me more than was strictly necessary to be honest. Great.... something else I've got to learn not to do. This bloody 'to do' list gets more ridiculous every day....

Kind regards

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 03-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #130
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ben Joiner wrote: View Post
Hi all,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, and in that role I've read many posts by both Mike Haft and Dan Harden and others. To Mike H I would say that from what I've READ you seem to be on the same page as Dan, Mike, Rob etc in terms of the usefulness of these internal skills within Aikido paradigm AND your stated ability to apply this stuff. I would say however, that from what I've READ many people here (see above posts) aren't even aware (or don't want to be told) that there MAY be something missing from what they do in their aikido dojos. I know I wasn't, we have a different and equally valid focus where I train.

Reading these posts has lead me to think about broadening my horizons, and for that I thank all involved including those from outside aikido. Reading only gets you so far after all. So I'm off to Paris to meet up with Rob in April and will write up my thoughts when I get back. I have also on the basis of what I've READ considered going to see Mike H north of the border if there's more than an evenings training available, or popping down to Dartington to train with Mark Freeman whose posts have again pricked my interest.

Respectfully,

Ben
Hi Ben,

as nice as it would be to see you down here in sunny Devon, you could save yourself both time and money, by checking out either:

http://www.kifederationofgreatbritai...ubs/argoed.htm

or: http://www.kifederationofgreatbritai...ntwynmawr.html

both teachers are further up the mountain than me,

good luck & regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.