Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2004, 06:36 AM   #1
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Fumiaki Shishida at Shodokan Trinidad

The Trinidad and Tobago Aikido Club (Shodokan Trinidad) will be hosting Shihan Fumiaki Shishida, 8th Dan Director of the Japan Aikido Association, and Sensei Manuel Vargas, 4th Dan of Tomiki Ronin Dojo, New York. During their one week visit in Trinidad from May 29th, the instructors will be conducting classes and seminars at the T&T Aikido Club dojo and other locations in the country.

All are welcome to train. For information please contact the dojo at shodokantrinidad@hotmail.com.

Arigato Gozaimashita.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 05-22-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Fumiaki Shishida at Shodokan Trinidad

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
The Trinidad and Tobago Aikido Club (Shodokan Trinidad) will be hosting Shihan Fumiaki Shishida, 8th Dan Director of the Japan Aikido Association, and Sensei Manuel Vargas, 4th Dan of Tomiki Ronin Dojo, New York. During their one week visit in Trinidad from May 29th, the instructors will be conducting classes and seminars at the T&T Aikido Club dojo and other locations in the country.

All are welcome to train. For information please contact the dojo at shodokantrinidad@hotmail.com.

Arigato Gozaimashita.
LC
Wow - how did you manage that?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-22-2004, 07:07 AM   #3
L. Camejo

Canada

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Wow - how did you manage that?
Luck, breaking my bank account and being in a Caribbean Island where no Shodokan Shihan has ever visited respectively.

Oh yeah and it all started because I was unable to buy a DVD from Tomiki.org. Started talking with Sean Flynn about it, who coincidentally happened to be hosting Shiihan on his sabbatical. From there I just got lucky.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 05-22-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
PeterR

Japan

Larry;

You did very well.

I've met Manny only once but he has a reputation as a randori man and of course Shishida Shihan presides over the boys from Wasada - one of the top randori Universities in Japan. Make sure they give a randori clinic. Shishida Shihan I know reasonably well - don't meet often but when we do its always a pleasure. Actually I haven't met him for about two years for one reason or another - wonder if he remembers me . My first Aikido training was under two of his students.

For those the need reminding Shishida Shihan is the primary author of the book whose English translation title is Aikido Tradition and the Competitive Edge. He is also a Professor of Budo history at the University - well worth talking to. His English is very good. I would even suggest you have him give a lecture. Anyway - so many possibilities. Congratulations.

Last edited by PeterR : 05-22-2004 at 07:16 AM.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
L. Camejo

Canada

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the congrats. Personally I did not know that much about Shishida's training history myself, but I knew I wanted him to come here if I could swing it. I first planned on him coming in August for our festival, but he would not have been in th U.S. at that time.

The first thing I have planned for him is a beach weapons session actually - so he can get to enjoy the some sun and sea while training (and before returning to the colder climes). Trying to get venues so that we can have a variety of clinics and seminars while he's here. Who knows, if I'm lucky I may even get a nidan test out of it (fingers crossed). Thanks for the randori idea, I will definitely ask him to give a clinic on that. The lecture concept is interesting as well.

Manny is coming down to be his Uke. I may have one public seminar open for different styles as well during the week. I just hope all goes smoothly in the end. The entire thing happened at extremely short notice as an unexpected opening appeared in Shihan's schedule.

Will keep you posted.
LC

Old 05-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #6
L. Camejo

Canada

During the visit of F. Shishida and M. Vargas, there will be a public seminar open to all martial artists and styles on Wednesday 2nd June 2004 between the hours of 6PM to 9PM at the dojo of the T&T Aikido Club. Any requests for information can be forwarded to shodokantrinidad@hotmail.com

LC

Old 05-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #7
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Larry, I am very happy for you and your guys. It's awesome. I've never trained with Shishida-shihan but have seen some footage of him. Very different from Nariyama-shihan since they are built totally differently.

I wish I could come...

Enjoy!

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-25-2004, 03:53 AM   #8
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Very different from Nariyama-shihan since they are built totally differently.
Some people have pointed out that Shishida Shihan has a very similar build to Tomiki himself and because of this shares many similarities in movement.

He has a killer sumiotoshi. Realistically speaking I would never use it in real life because if he doesn't pull it off he's seriously exposed but I've never seen him not pull it off. I am sure he would say the same thing but ... well you have to see it.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:23 AM   #9
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Sumiotoshi is one of those techniques I am struggling with. I really need someone to show it to me in a way I understand it. grrr....

Having a bone graft and being unable to train -- maybe for 6 long months!!! -- is not helping eihter!

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
akiy

I had the pleasure of training with Shishida sensei a couple of months ago. It was also a pleasure sitting and talking to him and Seiji Tanaka sensei as well. I picked up one of Shishida sensei's Japanese language books and am hoping to get his book on budo some day...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #11
L. Camejo

Canada

Hmm, Sumi otoshi.... gotta take ukemi from him for that one at least then. It's been a while since I've felt that need to call Air Traffic Control for landing clearance during training. I kinda miss that "hopelessly airborne" feeling.

Sumi otoshi used to give me some probs, it still does for certain attacks. I've found that a modification I learnt of it in another style makes it a lot more effective and applicable, but only for yokomen attacks. I still have a prob not muscling it against shorter opponents, also don't like that whiplash effect that causes Uke's other hand to touch my side as he goes down.

I've also found the similarity with Tomiki's body type. Should be interesting as I'm a tallish one myself. My instructor was closer to Nariyama in build so I learnt a lot of "short man" Aikido if you catch my drift.

You guys really have me excited now.

Sorry you can't make it Yann, but I'm also having something in August, though the featured Shodokan instructor there probably will not be as highly ranked. Should be fun though.

LC

Old 05-25-2004, 02:02 PM   #12
Mark Barlow
Dojo: Gulf Coast Martial Arts

Larry,

Congratulations on having the opportunity to train with such a great instructor. Keep us informed on how the week goes.

Other than the Judo club, are any other dojo participating?

Mark
Old 05-25-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
I had the pleasure of training with Shishida sensei a couple of months ago. It was also a pleasure sitting and talking to him and Seiji Tanaka sensei as well. I picked up one of Shishida sensei's Japanese language books and am hoping to get his book on budo some day...
For those that don't know Aikido Tradition and the Competitive Edge, reviewed in Aikiweb Books was translated from a Japanese text written by Shishida.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #14
L. Camejo

Canada

Quote:
Mark Barlow wrote:
Larry,

Congratulations on having the opportunity to train with such a great instructor. Keep us informed on how the week goes.

Other than the Judo club, are any other dojo participating?

Mark
Hi Mark,

I have extended the invitation to the entire Judo Association as well as done a press release for the one public seminar, which I have invited other schools to. It will be interesting to see who actually shows up - as you may know the politics can reek to high heaven in martial arts here sometimes.

Will also extend a personal invitation to the Shinsei Hapkido guys as well, since their sensei expressed interest.

Also found out that the Judo guys are planning to go camping on the same beach where we plan to have a weapons session with Shishida, should be fun.

Yours
LC

Old 06-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #15
L. Camejo

Canada

Hey folks,

Still alive so far. Shishida Shihan's visit has been going great so far. So great he extended it one more week. I can't remember the last time I've been in so much muscular pain and just plain exhausted from training.

I've experienced the sumi otoshi from both Manny and Shihan - I think I've added a few more inches on my neck muscles as a result. In my experience his tenchi nage and tenkai kotegaeshi are downright scary though. Haven't levitated so long since my Yoga days.

Shihan also conducted the public seminar, there was a great turnout and the judo and aikido folks from other schools were truly inspired and impressed. The media even came to cover the event and will be doing an interview tomorrow.

Will keep you folks posted, but right now I'm busy trying to remember the technical improvements he has made to our randori no kata so far - amazing.

Until next time.
LC

Old 06-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #16
PeterR

Japan

There you go.

Make sure we see the interview. and Picis don't forget picis.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #17
L. Camejo

Canada

Hey folks,

Shishida Shihan and his wife left today, after experiencing some real Trini hospitality. I think they finally got the chance to have a vacation during his sabbatical.

The training we received was nothing short of spectacular, I feel like a beginner once again, with my Randori no Kata, Ura Waza and Koryu Dai San taken apart, analyzed and reintegrated to be even more effective while keeping the essence of the kata. It'll take some years to fully internalise and understand what we were shown, but in the end it was a chance of a lifetime. Our dojo is very thankful for Shihan's visit. I can now appreciate what some folks say when they get tossed around by a "master." His technique is deceptively powerful and painful.

At the end of it all, I now have - an almost empty bank account , a sprained elbow and sore wrists (gotta change that "we don't tap" motto), some calloused toes (highly fashionable) and Shodokan has a new Trini Nidan.

I hope this can be repeated in future, maybe one day we can host the International Festival right here. I'm sure many folks won't mind.

The pics I'll put up later as I develop the film etc.

Until next time.

LC

Old 06-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #18
Mark Barlow
Dojo: Gulf Coast Martial Arts

Larry,

Congratulations on a much deserved promotion and congratulations on putting together a successful seminar.

Mark