Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-23-2002, 07:26 AM   #26
RossEd
Dojo: Tenchikai Aikido
Hey all,

This is my first post so bear with me. I love ukemi and had to respond to the discussion.
Everyone is discussing the forward roll, but from my own experiences outwith the dojo, I have only had to call upon the forwards flip/no hands breakfall (forgive the lack of Japanese terminology),the yokomen/kote gaeshi/shihonage fall, and the backwards drop.
Whenever I have been thrown outside, the fall has had to be adapted considerably, often because my arms have been trapped (usually unintentionally) by the attacker, leaving me unable to break the fall. It seems to me that breathing is critical, even when form is compromised by the situation.
I believe that the art of ukemi must be practised regularly - if it is to be used practically - on harder surfaces. The extra confidence which familiarity provides is the edge that you need when an aggressor, a stranger out to hurt you, is about to force you into the ground.
You get out what you put in and a couple of years ago my sensei took me aside and told me that the next step in my ukemi practise was to practise regularly without mats. I have found this to be very beneficial, both in and out of the dojo.
However, those are just the thoughts of a yellow belt with a few years practise, so if there are any thoughts...

Cheers
Ross
Old 04-23-2002, 11:36 AM   #27
IrimiTom
Ross, just wondering: do you train in Yoshinkan?
Old 04-24-2002, 05:23 AM   #28
RossEd
No, but from what I've seen there are similarities.
We do train a pretty hard style although my sensei never stops emphasising relaxation, breathing and balance. Both my teacher and his father, Shihan Miller, are also v.high grades in Daito Ryu, which may influence the training.

Ross
Old 04-24-2002, 09:23 AM   #29
IrimiTom
I just asked cause I know of no styles or schools other than Yoshinkan that have coloured belts.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:26 AM   #30
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Quote:
Originally posted by IrimiTom
I just asked cause I know of no styles or schools other than Yoshinkan that have coloured belts.
AAA does.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:28 AM   #31
Edward
Thailand
So do we at Aikikai Thailand, and also Singapore.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:00 PM   #32
RossEd
I've found that quite a lot of clubs over here use coloured belts - about half. Belt is deceiving anyway. Being a university club, we have had many high grades come and go. Some dan grades have been tense and technically shamed by the lower grades. I often wonder who grades these people. Has anyone else found these discrepancies? Are there acknowledged differences between stlye or is it simply the instructor.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:55 PM   #33
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by RossEd
Some dan grades have been tense and technically shamed by the lower grades. I often wonder who grades these people. Has anyone else found these discrepancies? Are there acknowledged differences between stlye or is it simply the instructor.
Hi all,

tends to be the instructor most times Ross. Standards tend to vary among schools, even within the same style.

Domo
L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca