Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #26
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Primary Techniques for Self Defense

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Tai No Henka - Omote & Ura.

Why?

Because TNH contains the foundations of all Aikido hence the vast majority of classes starting with this basic reference.

Cheers

D
and why omote and ura?

Because there is a widespread misconception that Aikido is limited to self-defence...even this thread has it in its title.

By using omote the attacking pre-emptive potential of aikido can be demonstrated.

Regards

D
Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
1. paying attention
2. correct distance

Mary
zanshin and maai. I stand corrected and agree, thank you.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #28
tarik

United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
If you had an opportunity to demonstrate to a group of people and due to time constraints could only show two examples of Aikido, what would you show.
I would probably not show any technique. I'd show two examples of kuzushi, that are occasionally referred to as the "ikkyo" principle and the "shihonage" principle. I'd call them something else, but the demonstrating of kuzushi and how it can affect the spine in each direction is fundamental from my point of view.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish

Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #29
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

sometimes you hear "there are no stupid questions"

well....

if I am picking out a technique to do before hand, I am in deep do do.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
dps

Since there is a multitude of techniques to learn in Aikido and it takes many years to learn them, what two techniques would you practice the most to be able to use in a self defense situation. It would be stupid to wait until your attacked to try to figure it out. You react as you train.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Since there is a multitude of techniques to learn in Aikido and it takes many years to learn them, what two techniques would you practice the most to be able to use in a self defense situation. It would be stupid to wait until your attacked to try to figure it out. You react as you train.
I agree with your last statement. But one does not react with any technique at all, but some technique will find itself blooming naturally on the stem of the trained reaction. There ain't no figgerin'. So the question of technique, in the sense you intend, is precisely the wrong way round.

I can teach almost anybody a technique inside of an hour -- what I cannot easily do, except through mindful repetition and critical correction, is teach the sensibility that makes one perceive that technique in the process of presenting itself in the encounter and the sensibility that makes it capable of being applied in that encounter.

If pressed I would say that if somebody did nothing else, ever, they could do funetori and udefuri and gain the essential sensibility to apply techniques, but not necessarily the sensibility to perceive the opening for any technique. For the the latter I would show kokyu tanden ho (kokyu-dosa), and furitama -- Putting them together? Well -- there is the art, isn't it?

And none of that looks like there is much "martial" in it ... but, of course, half of war is deception,....

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #32
eyrie

Australia

If you look at the various statistics available, most of them seem to indicate that > 90% of potential situations and encounters can be avoided by simply being aware and taking preventative physical measures.

So, I would agree that spatial awareness and distance - especially distances that can be afforded by simply running away - would form the "primary techniques" (or more accurately, "strategies") of the majority of SD responses.

As far as "secondary techniques" (or more appropriately, "responses") go, the principles of "blending" and "redirection", as applied to psychological and verbal de-escalation, are far more preferable to any physical "technique".

Actual physical "technique" is usually the action of "last resort", when all else fails. Even then, I would certainly not show ANY "technique", much less, ANY specific Aikido technique, simply because ritualized movement, such as that being touted as "technique", is antithetical to the situational dynamics of any encounter.

Rather, I would layout the physical and bio-mechanical basis of the human body, and how its natural physical limitations and weaknesses can be exploited by simple and rather basic gross movements; movements which comply with basic physical laws that would at the very least enable one to temporarily disable and/or disengage from an assailant, to create an escape opportunity - and thereby create distance.

In any case, the legal premise and ramifications of physical self-defence, is sufficient to preclude, and in certain cases even invalidate, the use of many "martial arts" techniques as a legal defence.

Ignatius
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #33
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
In any case, the legal premise and ramifications of physical self-defence, is sufficient to preclude, and in certain cases even invalidate, the use of many "martial arts" techniques as a legal defence.
Excellent point.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
dps

Quote:
. Rather, I would layout the physical and bio-mechanical basis of the human body, and how its natural physical limitations and weaknesses can be exploited by simple and rather basic gross movements; movements which comply with basic physical laws that would at the very least enable one to temporarily disable and/or disengage from an assailant, to create an escape opportunity - and thereby create distance.
And where in Aikido do you find this?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #35
tarik

United_States

Quote:
Musubi renshu.

Tarik Ghbeish

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #36
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Ok, guys. David is asking a simple question that requires a simple answer. He's obviously and plainly asking for it again and again. This is not about strategy, principles or anything but he simply wants your two techiniques of choice.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #37
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Ok, guys. David is asking a simple question that requires a simple answer. He's obviously and plainly asking for it again and again. This is not about strategy, principles or anything but he simply wants your two techiniques of choice.
Fair enough.
1) All
2) None.

I think many have come from different paths at the the same answer which is that it has a mistaken premise of "choice" and that there is some generic hierarchy of utility. Neither is true. That doesn't mean it is a BAD question -- it is just a koan of sorts.

"Name the two colors that are your preferred piece of theatre"

"Techniques" are physical metaphors -- shorthand non-verbal
sketches.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #38
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

On a (believe it or not) somewhat serious note, the first thing is Run Away! Run Away!.

On a more serious note, since attacks can come in so many different ways I don't really see how one can come up with 2 most important "techniques". Unless you consider "irimi" a technique.

Or maybe... Don't get hit, move, then connect with their center and control them...

Or...

Aiki, I guess...

Not the answer you want, I suppose, but the best I can do.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #39
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Ok, guys. David is asking a simple question that requires a simple answer.
True, but sometimes a simple answer isn't possible.

"How do you remove a cancerous tumor? Give a simple answer."

Well, "cut it out." is a simple answer but woefully inadequate. And every other answer assumes a particular type of cancer in a particular area with a patient with specific other issues. And then is the answer still all that simple even if you qualify all those things?

We often make things more complex than they need to be. But sometimes things really are complex.

Or as an old philosophy professor of mine used to say, Occam's razor isn't a law, just a suggestion. Or to quote Gershwin "It ain't necessarily so..."

Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #40
dps

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
True, but sometimes a simple answer isn't possible.

"How do you remove a cancerous tumor? Give a simple answer."

Well, "cut it out." is a simple answer but woefully inadequate. And every other answer assumes a particular type of cancer in a particular area with a patient with specific other issues. And then is the answer still all that simple even if you qualify all those things?

We often make things more complex than they need to be. But sometimes things really are complex.

Or as an old philosophy professor of mine used to say, Occam's razor isn't a law, just a suggestion. Or to quote Gershwin "It ain't necessarily so..."
Or to quote Confucius, "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
In the "Universal Exercise"? Wax on, wax off?

I understood the question, but like everyone else has already said.... limiting yourself to specific techniques, in what is essentially a dynamic situation, is fraught with danger. You can certainly demonstrate a "technique" to illustrate a point or physical principle, but I, personally, would not rely on "dojo technique", Aikido or otherwise, to do so.

So the question as to what 2 "primary techniques" one would show is moot. Because, "it depends"... on what variables you are limiting the demonstration to, for the sake of simplicity and what basic assumptions you're making; i.e. What sort of attack? Standing up, on the ground, etc...? What specific principle, or set of principles, are you demonstrating and why? After all, a "technique" is merely how the principles can be applied, within the context of those predefined variables and assumptions, some of which would have to be modified, discarded, or added to in order to encompass the multitude of variations. BTW, this applies directly to dojo techniques as well.

I'm sorry it's not the direct answer you're seeking, and I would be loathed to say, sure, just use this or that technique, as it would unnecessarily stymie your imagination and creativity.

FWIW, I've just come back from conducting a women's self-defence workshop, and NOT one of the many "techniques" I demonstrated looked remotely like an Aikido technique. Although, I am certain that one of the participants who does/did Aikido would have immediately recognized the similarity of principles and potential applications within Aikido itself. Likewise, there were some example scenarios covered within the workshop where an assailant is on top of you. To someone in the know, it might have looked like basic BJJ, or a variation thereof, but I would hardly call it BJJ.

However, I would recommend, that whatever technique you do decide upon, keep it really really simple. If it's simple, it's easy to learn, and more importantly, remember.

Ignatius
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #42
dps

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
"Techniques" are physical metaphors -- shorthand non-verbal
sketches.
If someone asks you to demonstrate what Aikido is about,
which two physical metaphors would you sketch.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #43
Buck
United_States

I don't know. It all depends on the situation, the attack, the type of attack, the number of attackers, the attacker, the environment, the space size, the place, if a weapon is or isn't used, the direction, line and angle of attack, my mobility capability- restrictions due to obstacles, barriers, object interference, moving or stationary hindrances. My location, am I sitting (in a car, chair etc.) or standing.

I would answer all techniques as my only one technique.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #44
dps

Quote:
However, I would recommend, that whatever technique you do decide upon, keep it really really simple. If it's simple, it's easy to learn, and more importantly, remember.
Yes, do you have techniques that you would suggest?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #45
dps

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
I would answer all techniques as my only one technique.
I asked for two.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #46
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Yes, do you have techniques that you would suggest?
No. Even if I did... it wouldn't be an Aikido "dojo technique", so what's the point of asking the same question repeatedly to get the same answer? Sure, I can show you a trick or two, but that's all they would be - tricks, and then I'd have to kill you.

Like I said, what are you aiming to convey? What is the purpose of the demonstration? To show what Aikido is? Or to show self-defense applications of Aikido? In any case, my answer is still "it depends". Since I don't know what you do, can do, don't do, can't do, I can't answer this for you. Only you can.

In case, I wasn't clear before... I would NOT show ANY specific Aikido technique. (That in itself should already raise a few question marks as to why.... and if you don't know the answer to that, then I don't think you have any business demonstrating what Aikido is, or how it can be applied in a self-defense situation). However, if you wish to speak to common principles found in any martial art, that *could* be applied in a contrived self-defence scenario, we can talk about those here, or in another thread.

If you go back and read my first post, everything contained therein can be found within Aikido... both principles and "technique".

Ignatius
Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #47
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
If someone asks you to demonstrate what Aikido is about,
which two physical metaphors would you sketch.

David
A chain and a handshake. I demonstrate both aiki age and aiki sage with a length of chain. We demonstrate sensitivity in connection to your partners' physical disposition with a handshake. (Ever wonder why people "shake" hands with that typical short, sharp oscillation? ) Furitama.

Same processes are in action in both those examples as are applied in aiki, aiki simply applies them more generally, and in more complex ways -- like seeing the "shape" of your chain that will "push" on his resisting chain when you are "shaking hands." (kokyu tanden ho). But again, these hardly look martial --- I suppose the chain looks a BIT "martial"

Striking too, as I teach it, (empty handed or with sticks), is chain-like. If you doubt that can be done with a stick, try doing the "rubber pencil" trick and ask why your eye sees it oscillate and "bend."

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #48
tarik

United_States

Quote:
Perhaps he should listen to the answers he's gotten. Some of us aren't going to change what we perceive as the correct answer just because he isn't happy to hear it, even assuming that is the actual case.

Tarik Ghbeish

Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #49
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
Perhaps he should listen to the answers he's gotten. Some of us aren't going to change what we perceive as the correct answer just because he isn't happy to hear it, even assuming that is the actual case.
If he's asking for a technique (well, two), then an abstract concept is not to be perceived as the correct answer, IMHO. I agree with what most people's answering here, mind you, but that's not the point. I would say maai, or deai, or awase... but these won't be correct answers to that question.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #50
tarik

United_States

Quote:
but these won't be correct answers to that question.
Let's agree to disagree.

Tarik Ghbeish