Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
misogi

Dojo: Aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States
Northern Ireland dojo

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any information about dojo in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have been training for just over 4 years at a USAF dojo. I may be moving back home within the next year and plaln to continue training. The only dojo I can find online in Belfast are Aiki No Michi or Tomiki affiliated. Are the training styles similar? Would my rank be accepted, or being a new system, would I start all over? I was also interested to know whether there are any ASU affiliated dojo in Ireland?
Maybe an interested Sensei would consider a move to the emerald isle??

Thanks in advance for your help

Jude

If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers.- Chinese adage
Old 04-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Northern Ireland dojo

Quote:
Judith McSpadden wrote: View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any information about dojo in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have been training for just over 4 years at a USAF dojo. I may be moving back home within the next year and plaln to continue training. The only dojo I can find online in Belfast are Aiki No Michi or Tomiki affiliated. Are the training styles similar? Would my rank be accepted, or being a new system, would I start all over? I was also interested to know whether there are any ASU affiliated dojo in Ireland?

Jude
Hi Judith,
I do not think your rank will cross over. The Aikikai doesn't recognize ranks from outside organizations and I wouldn't expect that it would work the other way around. I would think that there would be an Aikikai dojo around but there are no ASU dojos as Sensei has limited official membership to the US and Canada.

There was some discussion on the Aiki no Michi style.
Aiki no Michi discussion

What you are used to doing would fall somewhere in the middle of these two styles I think. In terms of preparing you to do the kind of Aikido Saotome Sensei does, the Tomiki folks would give you better preparation I think.

If you do not intend to train with a given group over the long term, there is a mechanism, I believe, to maintain an individual membership in the ASU. You could probably maintain your rank by coming back to the States for testing. But not all dojos would be open to having one of their members do that and you'd have to work things out with Patty Saotome Sensei if this was the path you wanted to take. It would really only make sense if you thought you'd be coming back to the States at some point. Otherwise, you might as well find a dojo you like and bite the bullet and retest.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
misogi

Dojo: Aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States

Thank you for your response...I do hope to come back, but I have no idea how long it would be until I do so. Visas are hard to come by

If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers.- Chinese adage
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Judith McSpadden wrote: View Post
Hi,

Jude
Hello,

I think there are some dojos in Northern Ireland. A 4th dan named Cherchini teaches there. He was taught by Hiroshi Tada from Italy.Look on Google for Aikido Organization of Ireland. The link is http://www.aikikai.ie/

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 04-27-2008 at 01:49 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
tiyler_durden
Netherlands

hi,

Just wanted to drop a few lines and say that I actualy trained there in the Ai KI no Michi dojo and had a super great time with many different people who all wanted to train.

I say "give it a shot"....

no pun intended

TD

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Kevin Morrison
Dojo: National Aikido Training Centre, Macken Street
Ireland

The AOI is all in the Republic. The Dundalk dojo would be an hour or two away from you.
There are at least two other aikikai groups on the island that have regular seminars with visiting instructors:
The Irish Aikido Federation http://www.aikido.ie/ under John Rogers 6th dan, Hombu instructors visit annually for weekend seminar.

Aikido in Dublin
http://www.dublinaikido.com/wp/ under Cyril Lagrasta 4th dan, had Christien Tissier over recently.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
brian donohoe

Dojo: Nenagh and sadly no longer police college Templemore
Ireland

For a fairly comprehensive listing of Aikido Dojos in Ireland both north and south visit http://www.aikidoinireland.org/index.htm the guy who runs this site Aureli used to practice in Belfast.
I've trained in Belfast a good few times and always had a blast.