Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-22-2004, 04:13 AM   #1
"innocent child"
IP Hash: 2a3aee61
Anonymous User
Teachers are just like parents

Anyone who has parents who are still living may probably share this experience/feeling. Despite the fact that I am into my late forties and my children are growing up, my parents still communicate to me as if I am still their innocent child.

The same goes for my previous teacher(s). Last week, I paid a visit to the dojo of my first aikido teacher whom I have not train with for quite a number of years. Since learning from him, I have received instructions from various teachers who are more or less experience than him - both locally and abroad (including Japan). The reason of my visit was to re-establish my ties with him and to re-kindle our friendship. In a way, I stepped into his dojo as if I have never left. He did not ask me to show/demonstrate any of my techniques that I have learned and so, I tried to follow his class to the best of my abilities and which I would have been more comfortable if I had been a beginner. To be frank, I was rather nervous in his class as I wasn't sure how to "behave". I was alright in the jiyu form but in the katai form I was doing "horribly" and that's where I was just another student in my teacher's eyes.

The problem is I have moved on over the years and was no longer comfortable with the forms he had taught me or with his present forms. As the class progessed, I began to make more "mistakes" in his eyes and also made some genuine mistakes due to my disturbed state of mind.

By the end of the class, I realised that I have moved down the path and might have even surpassed him in forms and spirit. Some of the techniques/forms were not executable without the nage using excessive force on the uke's joints; there were too many redundant moves and generated space that allowed the uke to regain his/her balance. As his student, past & present, I can only offered him my spirit and said, "Hai sensei!, I noted".

So whatever it is, he was my first sensei and he started me on my path of aikido; for this, I am forever grateful to him. Domo arigato sensei.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: Teachers are just like parents

Welcome to the adult world.

Rock