Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
FeW PseudoSKIV
Aikikai Bokken

Does the Aikikai use the same style of bokken as Iwama Ryu?
Old 09-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States
Re: Aikikai Bokken

I'm not an expert by any standard, but I'm gonna guess, no, because when people visit our dojo, they're a bit perplexed by the bokken we use.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
Old 09-10-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland
Smile Re: Aikikai Bokken

Hi there, good question, hard to answer fully and maybe a liitle contravercial. ill give a try though.
basically the aikikai bokken is a typical bokken used in traditional sword schools, its very light and the purpose is to use as in iai, the long casting style of cutting( most commenly used i believe). the Iwama bokken is very different, its used more as a striking weapon the cuting action appears more like a strike with an extending or stabbing feelling at the end. its a way to learn kokyu in the arms and body. its much heavier so to produce good strong arms for kokyu training and good strong wrists. the aikikai style bokken is to light to benifit the body in these ways. the difference is down to what osensei taught in Iwama and never taught elsewhere ie- weapons. although there was a short period of time in the honbu when he allowed saito to introduce it on a sunday. because of this most aikikai students where mosty instructed by the doshu, who as we know dropped a lot of his fathers aikido when he got the chance to leave Iwama and head back to tokyo,( from what i heard in japan, doshu could not get out of iwama quick enough as he hated the level of training in his fathers dojo). so when the doshu reopened the honbu he never really taught weapons.( maybe he was not allowed not sure) he also removed other important parts like strong kihon training and kiai both of which the founder so as the most important parts of aikido -buki, kiai and kihon practice everyday. so back to the bokkens, as many of the honbu students brought there own weapons training from other schools into there taijustu(also another reason why 1 aikikai style looks so different from another aikikai style and vey different to the aikido taught byu the foundeer in his dojo in iwama, as some had weapons training from the founder some had a lot, some had none and some had kendo and kenjutsu,) so everyones taijustu and body form look so different, hardley ever so any honbu guys standing in proper hanmi( but thats my opinion)
this is why the bokkens are different as the aikikai are influenced by not the founders weapons and form but the doshu's and other weapons. the only 2 students to really reciveve proper regular daily training taijustu and weapons" after the war" was saito and isoyama.

sorry ive typed to quickly might read as a mess.

Last edited by PaulieWalnuts : 09-10-2005 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I've heard that they do not really train with weapons at Hombu anymore. Is that true at all?

I can't imagine aikido without weapons training. To me, they go hand in hand.

Just asking...

Old 09-10-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland

well my understanding from what i was told in Iwama was the the first doshu never taught weapons in the honbu, hell there's people in the honbu who no so little about the founder that they truely believe there is no weapons in aikido, but that is down to the doshu.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:

I can't imagine aikido without weapons training. To me, they go hand in hand.
That's exactly how it's supposed to feel (in Iwama style, anyway), or at least says sensei. In the dojo I go to, we use weapons as a way to better our taijitsu. We learn better kokyu and ki extention from using weapons. If yo look closely, you'll find that many Aikido techniques refer directly back to the sword.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
Old 09-30-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi,

Two points.
1. At the back of the dojo at Honbu there is a weapons rack with a wide variety of bokken, many different kinds including a huge tanren bo.

2. At the recent anniversay koushukai at the I wama dojo, Isoyama Shihan said over and over, "Doshu is the center of Aikido, we must protect the Doshu and follow him."

Charles Hill
Old 09-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
seank
Australia

Quote:
Stefen Miller wrote:
the aikikai style bokken is to light to benifit the body in these ways.
Hi Stefen,
Isn't the point of the lighter weapon to teach form, not to build up strength?

My brother and sister-in-law practice Iwama-style Aikido, my wife and I Aikikai. The weapons themselves are markedly different as is the style, however there are many parallels in the way the weapons is used to teach movement and position of the hands, feet and body.

One of the biggest differences I've seen in the two styles is the perceived amount of strength in each; the Iwama style seems to value strong technique and the body that goes along with that, whereas the Aikikai style seems to be more blending and a distinct lack of strength.

I'm not suggesting this is an exhaustive explanation, but it seems the two weapons and styles more reflect the point of view of the different schools...

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
Walter Wong
Dojo: Boston Samurai Arts - Malden, MA
United_States

One of my Eishin Ryu classmates makes and sells bokkens.

http://www.bokken-art.com/

I'm sure he can customize you a nice Aikiken bokken or whatever style of bokken you choose. Just drop him an email.