Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
Brian Sutton
United_States
Aikido Teachers

Hello Aiki Web members, this is my first time posting on this site . I'm glad to be here. I have spent some time away from Aikido but went in depth into training in some Chinese internal arts which deepened my understanding of Aikido technique. Returning to Aikido, I had some specific preferences due to some poor experiences with Aikido teachers in the past.

First, I would like to ask the question, what are the selling points of Aikido? Why from all the choices of other Martial Arts , would a person choose Aikido. I can only speak for myself, but I feel others may share my viewpoint in saying ,to be able to stay calm under pressure. My current instructor constantly shows how ineffective our techniques are when we tense up the muscle groups. Isn't this a metaphor for life off the mat as well. A sense ethics with decisions of what is the appropriate amount of force to be used with respect to the appreciation of all life. Or in a sense, a peaceful warrior tradition or a spiritual martial art.

Second, I would like to ask the question with regards to Aikido instructors , should the form match the function? What I mean is this; if a personal trainer came to your gym that was 25lbs overweight with a cigarette in one hand and a doughnut in the other talking about "get in shape" would you listen to him. On the other end of the spectrum, you may have a physics professor that is a genius but also a ruthless human being and that doesn't effect the teachers ability to administer the lesson in the least. The fitness example requires intrinsic qualities of that which is being taught, while the academic example does not. Where does Aikido instruction fit in with these two examples?Some would say Aikido is a martial art , so the military break em down to build them up mentality is keeping with martial tradition. For me it's not so much what a teacher does when they might belittle students, its what their not doing. Teaching!!
Thoughts??
Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Aikido Teachers

This particular forum is really for introductions, and I don't think many people read it -- if they do, it's usually more to answer basic newbie questions and/or offer help in finding a dojo. If you want to start a discussion, you'd probably do better to choose another forum (and also to split your points of discussion into separate threads).
Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
kewms
Re: Aikido Teachers

Everything a teacher does on the mat is "teaching." But they may not be imparting useful or healthy lessons.

All teachers, being human, have flaws. The question for the student is whether a particular teacher's flaws impede your ability to learn from that person.

Katherine