Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
YouTube: Kisaburo Osawa

Here is a great clip of Osawa Kisaburo Sensei teaching in the US. The poster only put the word Aikido in the tags, so I thought I'd give some help by posting a link here. Osawa Sensei was a largely unknown yet hugely influential force in the Aikikai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIl6i...eature=related
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada
Re: Kisaburo Osawa

Thanks for the post Charles! Suganuma Sensei cites Osawa Shihan as a main influence in his aikido....boy oh boy can you ever see it...they move in a very similar fashion.

Love Yamada and Kanai sensei's long hair!

Cheers,

Russ
Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Kisaburo Osawa

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote: View Post
Here is a great clip of Osawa Kisaburo Sensei teaching in the US. The poster only put the word Aikido in the tags, so I thought I'd give some help by posting a link here. Osawa Sensei was a largely unknown yet hugely influential force in the Aikikai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIl6i...eature=related
Charles,

I was present at a similar seminar he held in Boston at the old Central Sq. dojo. I think the year was 1974 or 75. Masatake Fukita was also there and you can see him taking ukemi from Osawa Sensei (as well as Yamada and Kanai).

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: YouTube: Kisaburo Osawa

Too bad modern video capture equipment was no available in those days. I think we probably lost some gems.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

We're lucky to have as many of these clips as we have.

What yeasr was this? This is the first clip I've seen of K. Osawa so young. Reminds me more of his son, who I've had the luck to experience in person, than in the clips I've seen of him as an older man.

Jonathan Olson
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel

It's a wonderful video clip. and I am so happy to see Masatake Fujita Sensei here taking Ukemi for Osawa Sensei.

Thank you so much for giving a link to this video.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 11-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

I also have a video of K. Osawa Sensei taken at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo in the late 80's. His uke's are Fujita Sensei and Yukimitsu Kobayashi Sensei.

I will try to convert it and upload it into youtube.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
kokyu
Hong Kong

Good stuff... Watching some of his movements reminds me of his son Osawa Hayato Sensei... so his spirit lives on!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Mr. Hill - great find, thanks for sharing.

Dr. Goldsbury - thanks for pointing out Fujita Sensei.

Mr. Elrich - I could not be more in agreement.

Mr. Miel - that would be most appreciated, and I have subscribed to this thread to monitor further updates.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Ellis Amdur

Note - Osawa sensei taught by taking ukemi.
I recognized some people in the video from the old days. Notable was the Japanese-American guy with the long hair and beard. Don't remember his name, but we called him "The mugger's mugger," because he liked to go out at night, looking frail and helpless, and then, when someone tried to rob him, disarming the attacker and taking his knife or other weapon. He reportedly had a collection of weapons he'd taken off people.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Charles Hill

I am happy you guys have enjoyed the clip. I sure have!

The comments about Kisaburo and Hayato having similar movement are interesting. I actually think they moved quite differently. I was very surprised when I moved to Tokyo and saw Osawa Hayato's movement and how different it is from his father's.

I have a video of when both Osawas visited Akira Tohei's dojo for some anniversary. Hayato has about the most beautiful ukemi I have ever seen.

Here is a clip of Osawa Hayato Shihan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvpmG2i5v4

One thing I do see in common is their footwork. If I am remembering correctly, Akira Tohei described it as "suriashi" derived from the Noh drama.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
The comments about Kisaburo and Hayato having similar movement are interesting. I actually think they moved quite differently. I was very surprised when I moved to Tokyo and saw Osawa Hayato's movement and how different it is from his father's.

One thing I do see in common is their footwork. If I am remembering correctly, Akira Tohei described it as "suriashi" derived from the Noh drama.
I was referring to the knee flexing - you can see it around 1:48 when Osawa Senior does the ikkyo pin

But you raised an interesting point... does Hitohiro Sensei move like Saito Sensei? Or the Third Doshu like the Second Doshu? Or Shioda Kancho like Shioda Soke?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Charles Hill

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote: View Post
does Hitohiro Sensei move like Saito Sensei? Or the Third Doshu like the Second Doshu? Or Shioda Kancho like Shioda Soke?
Good question. I am guessing that for you, the question is rhetorical and the obvious answer is "no", but for me, the answer is yes. All three gentlemen move very much like their fathers, especially gentlemens 1 and 3. When you see Hitohiro Saito move, there is no doubt as to who his teacher was. IMHO however, the same can not be easily done with Hayato Osawa. He has clearly had massive input from another source.

Also, this is not just a matter of age. Aikido Journal sells a dvd of an early All Japan demo and in it Kisaburo Osawa moves exactly as he always did, even many years later. That dvd is very interesting to me as it is clear that all of the shihan featured had their movement "style" pretty much set and that 20, 30 years later there was not much difference.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Good question. I am guessing that for you, the question is rhetorical and the obvious answer is "no", but for me, the answer is yes. All three gentlemen move very much like their fathers, especially gentlemens 1 and 3. When you see Hitohiro Saito move, there is no doubt as to who his teacher was. IMHO however, the same can not be easily done with Hayato Osawa. He has clearly had massive input from another source.
Errr... it was *not* meant as a rhetorical question, just a general point of discussion about the transmission of the art between father and son.

I have not had the privilege of training under two generations, so it's harder for me to make a comparison.

I recently attended a multi-day seminar by Shimamoto Sensei who stated that he had been a follower of Osawa Kissaburo Sensei. In a way, I was expecting to see some aspects of Osawa Hayato Sensei, but that was not the case... so you could be right
Old 11-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
does Hitohiro Sensei move like Saito Sensei? Or the Third Doshu like the Second Doshu? Or Shioda Kancho like Shioda Soke?
... or the Second Doshu like the First Doshu?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
I recognized some people in the video from the old days. Notable was the Japanese-American guy with the long hair and beard. Don't remember his name, but we called him "The mugger's mugger," because he liked to go out at night, looking frail and helpless, and then, when someone tried to rob him, disarming the attacker and taking his knife or other weapon. He reportedly had a collection of weapons he'd taken off people.
His name was Harry, but I don't recall his last name.

Jim Baker

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote: View Post

Jim Baker
Nakamura, IIRC. He had a whole closet full of stuff.

Best,

Chris

Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Quote:
Jim Baker wrote: View Post

Jim Baker
Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Nakamura, IIRC. He had a whole closet full of stuff.

Best,

Chris
Just curious. What would one call this form of training? Would it be considered 'kosher' ? Definately falls under oyowaza (applied techniques). Very interesting if Osawa taught this while taking ukemi ....

Does anyone else teach methods for 'looking frail and helpless' becasue that would be pretty tough for me (I look quite fierce but I'm really just a big puppy).

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.