Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
aikidoaddict
Dojo: Aikido Alliance Australia Inc.
Australia
Catching the corner, feeling their strength, feeling blocked.

Fellow Aikidoka

Have you struggled constantly with the corners and angles in Aikido that constantly catch you out? You know, the ones that come up when you are performing kata te tori tai no henka, shomen uchi ikkyo omote and ura, Nikkyo, Sankyo, Yonkyo, Gokyo, Rokkyo, Kote gaishi, Irimi nage
(basically every technique).
You can feel, run into, or come up against your opponent's strength and power, and it sometimes stops you or makes you use strength to force the technique, or perhaps makes the techniques seem wrong or awkward.
Sometimes you get stuck trying to get around that corner, or find yourself forcing your way physically through their strength?
Rings a bell?
Well, I believe that I have found the way to get past all that, and to never feel your opponent's strength or power working against you ever again. No more to have that feeling of getting caught by them again, or to have them stop or reverse the technique on you.
It is amazing what will present itself to you, if you only keep genuinely searching and striving for more.
I have been working on reducing the basic body movements (tai no sabaki) to a condensed form, (just like the chefs of the best restaurants do when reducing a fine sauce to end up with a condensed and more concentrated sauce).
This reduction has produced a single basic movement that is the same for every technique, whether it be omote or ura.
No longer do you need to move one particular way for this technique, and another particular way for that technique.
No more re-adjusting your body or footwork to allow for omote or ura.
No long winded circular movements to finally get to where you want to be.
You start in a relaxed comfortable normal stance, and move fluidly and easily from there to perform any technique following the mantra of evade, off-balance, throw.
Once mastered, you are completely relaxed at all times, and able to move freely and fluidly as required.
As you freely move the techniques now present themselves to you like a menu, and you can freely move from one to another, or to many, without skipping a beat. This allows for rapid change of technique and direction, due to the changing circumstances presented to you at that time (i.e. one or more attackers).
I feel that after training for many many years, I am finally seeing the possibilities and wonders of this art completely unfold before my eyes.
Enjoy the journey, for it is truly amazing.
Remember: If you stop searching, you stop finding. keep asking questions, and keep searching for answers.
Paul
Who am I?
I am just another Aikidoka who started his journey back in the 70's, and am still loving it and finding new ways to grow and expand.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Catching the corner, feeling their strength, feeling blocked.

... and all this can be yours for just 29 easy installments of just $99.95 plus shipping and handling...

No seriously congratulations on your moment of clarity. They do make you want to shout from the roof tops don't they? Ive had many of them although perhaps none quite so grand. Looking forward to that day somewhere in the future myself.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
aikidoaddict
Dojo: Aikido Alliance Australia Inc.
Australia
Re: Catching the corner, feeling their strength, feeling blocked.

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
... and all this can be yours for just 29 easy installments of just $99.95 plus shipping and handling...

No seriously congratulations on your moment of clarity. They do make you want to shout from the roof tops don't they? Ive had many of them although perhaps none quite so grand. Looking forward to that day somewhere in the future myself.
Ha,ha very funny. Nice to see you can understand what I am trying to say. Thank you.