Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
DaveS
United Kingdom
Just back from...

...the Nariyama seminar at Dartford.

Wow.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
davidafindlay
Dojo: Shodokan
Re: Just back from...

Quote:
David Sim wrote:
Wow.
Hi David,

Where do you practise? I spent a little while with the guys and gals down at London Shodokan - great bunch of people.

Are you new to the Shodokan system and the hombu group?

(I assume we're talking about Nariyama Tetsuro here?)

Best,
Dave Findlay
Old 08-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
DaveS
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
Hi David,

Where do you practise? I spent a little while with the guys and gals down at London Shodokan - great bunch of people.
I'm at (the university of) Nottingham... this was the first time I've been down south for aiki reasons. But hopefully not the last.
Quote:
Are you new to the Shodokan system and the hombu group?
Well, I'm newish to aikido in general - about 1 year, all spent doing shodokan. This was the first thing I've been to on this scale and it was an absolutely amazing experience.
Quote:
(I assume we're talking about Nariyama Tetsuro here?)
Yep. (Three days on and I'm still basically overexcited!)
Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 AM   #4
davidafindlay
Dojo: Shodokan

Quote:
David Sim wrote:
I'm at (the university of) Nottingham...
Hey that's cool. Is that one of Scott Albright's clubs? You're lucky.

Yup, seeing someone of Nariyama's calibre for the first time is a bit of an eye-opener. I remember thinking the guy looked like he was on rails or something - the stability of his hips was really impressive.

I recall I once saw him demo continuous changing of techniques (renraku or henka waza?) - as opposed to individual waza one after the other. That was very cool. He obviously had a very good feeling for uke - something that is not necessarily apparent in the demonstration of standard kata.

Props of course to all the good shodokan people in the UK, but if you like that sort of thing... get thee to hombu!

Cheers,
Dave Findlay
Old 08-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
DaveS
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
Hey that's cool. Is that one of Scott Albright's clubs? You're lucky.
It's an offshoot of one of his or something I think - I don't really know the prehistory... but we keep up links with Sheffield, which is cool.

Quote:
Yup, seeing someone of Nariyama's calibre for the first time is a bit of an eye-opener. I remember thinking the guy looked like he was on rails or something - the stability of his hips was really impressive.
Seeying Nariyama was amazing of course, but just being on the mat at an event like that and practicing with so many new and really good people over the course of two days would have been worth it in itself. I wondered before I went whether I'd get much out of it as a relative newb, and can now say to everyone in the same position that yes, you really do.
Quote:
Props of course to all the good shodokan people in the UK, but if you like that sort of thing... get thee to hombu!
One day...