Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States
Question Ode to be a Mystic...

I stumbled across a thread on another forum regarding something called "Kuji-in" (www.kujiin.com), the poster was flamed of course but curiousity got the best of me and I started doing a web search on this topic. After a couple of hours or reading and links, it lead to even more questions...that damn internet.

The author claims esoteric skills associated with Taoist, Taiji, Ninjitsu, Bhuddist and even Kabbalic mysticism....I'm fascinated by mysticism or mystics (O Sensei) yet very skeptical.

So with that being said, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has chosen to explore this side of martial thought, deep meditations, or awareness training? If so what kind of results have you had? Physically or mentally? Any recommended readings or teachers?

This is an earnest inquiry and I'm hoping not to get ripped to shreds by those of you who disapprove.

Thanks in advance,
Grasshopper
Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Ode to be a Mystic...

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post

The author claims esoteric skills associated with Taoist, Taiji, Ninjitsu, Bhuddist and even Kabbalic mysticism....I'm fascinated by mysticism or mystics (O Sensei) yet very skeptical.
I have studied Catholic mysticism *yes you read right *
As well as "authentic" Kabbalah, for around 8 years, from Orthodox rabbis. (both sephardic and chassidic sources). On top of that I have studied the various aspects of 'Kabbalah' from other sources outside of Judaism, which would be deemed less kosher by both Christians and Jews I am sure.

Saying all of that to simply say this - there is a lot of bogus stuff out there. A lot of fantasy, and a lot of stuff people take as serious and are only playing mind games with themselves for some ego trip. (Not putting it in the best of words.)

But on another note, it all is in the mind.

Seriously though there is something to all of this - but put simply its a path you have to find yourself. (I know this is not what most people want to hear, initially, who seek such things. But what joy is their in life if someone else does the work for you, or finds and delivers the answer to you? It just cant be done.

There are pointers, and always help along the path that everyone takes. As Jesus pointed out, "seek and you will find when you seek with all of your heart...not in the fears of your own dogmas"

In saying this, its important, again, to realize - that indeed this is something you have to find on your own and indeed CAN find on your own. And it will be enjoyable the path.

There is a saying in mysticism, "the teacher appears when the student is ready" - but at that point, you dont need the teacher. (It will make sense in time.

I can try to share some pointers with you though.

All things can do one of two things.
It can serve as a vessel which most people get caught up in, and basically worship as an idol. (i.e, turning religion and materialism as something that it was not meant to be, thus they are never satisfied. This too has its purpose...it helps assist in suffering until you finally release all the false pretenses of such given props that were meant to only be pointers going beyond themselves.)

Mysticism, in its true essence can easily be linked to science, quantum physics and mechanics. (One rabbi links the kabbalah nicely to science, and its teachings like this, for me, that help to get past all the outer hocus pocus trappings that would initially seek to entangle and keep one from finding the 'truth' as it were.

I would quote Eckhart Tolle now:
Well, paraphrase:

When he was at a spiritual seminar there were so many choices that a person was confused at what would help them best. And he said, "All these are great, but I will tell you this - watch your breath for one year, and it will do more for you than all of these seminars put together." - this is true, and is really the essence of all mystical teachings.

Sounds boring, may feel boring - your mind (thinker) wont be into it at all, and will find every other distraction in the day...but be present in what you do, and you will find that there is more to life than you ever thought - death to ego is quite a beautiful thing...its then that the journey truly begins.

So out of all these practices, the most simplest and straight forward is Echkart Tolle. But he took has pointers and its easy for the mind to box and categorize what he says and/or make a religion out of it. - there is nothing new here to believe, just things to do.

With this I recommend audio books, goes so much further than the text...truly.

But each path is different, and I have seen that with Eckhart it did not impact others as much as it did me.

I was an OCD (obsessive compulsive) big time.
Prozac was a joke and did not help.
My wifes unconditional love and Eckhart Tolle, brought me through. And this is pretty big I would think - not to often people truly come out from such conditions...it takes true change...or true suffering to finally want to come out and change.

Hope this helps you.

Peace

dAlen

p.s. -
As Aikdio fits in this: Well, like anything, see how it fits with where your at now. Aikidio is so diverse, you make it what you want it to be.
For the longest time, it was a way to watch my ego/pride.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I stumbled across a thread on another forum regarding something called "Kuji-in" (www.kujiin.com), the poster was flamed of course but curiousity got the best of me and I started doing a web search on this topic. After a couple of hours or reading and links, it lead to even more questions...that damn internet.

So with that being said, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has chosen to explore this side of martial thought, deep meditations, or awareness training? If so what kind of results have you had? Physically or mentally? Any recommended readings or teachers?

This is an earnest inquiry and I'm hoping not to get ripped to shreds by those of you who disapprove.

Thanks in advance,
Grasshopper
I'm not sure how my sensei would classify it, but he being a Shinto priest adds a certain mystical quality to our training for those who are so inclined. check out Tsubakishrine.com. I'll try to think about it and write more later when I have more time.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:

Dear Grasshopper:

Following an earlier advertising effort which led to a vigorous response, Mr. LeClerc went out and got himself some more credentials.

The exoteric Buddhist lineage claimed by Mr. LeClerc and the sect with which he claims affiliation is questionable; it has been named in a way which makes it appear to have associations with Japanese sects to which it has no substantive connection beyond the aspirational.

The esoteric Buddhist lineage claimed by Mr. LeClerc is, in a word, nonsensical.

His ordination appears to have all the validity of a martial arts grandmastership awarded by the World Soke Council.

If you are interested in pursuing esoteric Buddhist studies with a qualified instructor in the United States there are a very small number of Tendai and Shingon teachers in this country who take on students; there are a larger number of teachers of Tibetan esoteric Buddhism. The traditions are related, but the Japanese stream branched off a bit earlier in the history of tantrism and has some notable differences from the Tibetan branch.

A word to the wise: Buddhist practice has its own purposes; Buddhist teachers tend to frown on the use of Buddhist practices for ends such as those trumpeted by Mr. LeClerc.

FWIW, there is a broad consensus that the Kuji-in and related practices are basically a Taoist/Shugendo system; certainly the system uses elements found in the Buddhist tradition, but if you want to find someone to teach you "authentic" Kuji-in or Kuji-kiri practice, your best bet is one of the Shugendo sects in Japan.

That practice is also fairly widespread within Hatsumi's Bujinkan organization here in the States. The depth with which the practice is taught there is a different question entirely and I don't have enough personal experience to make a useful comment.

Best,

FL
Old 07-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

A life long journey of no distance.
To be a mystic, realize you already are.
Yet, there is no "you" to be anything.
An interesting discipline.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Timothy WK
United_States

Quote:
I stumbled across a thread on another forum regarding something called "Kuji-in" (www.kujiin.com)....

The author claims esoteric skills associated with Taoist, Taiji, Ninjitsu, Bhuddist and even Kabbalic mysticism.
Errr... personally, I see a number of red flags going up. To begin with, it's a *real* bad sign when someone starts claiming to be "enlightened" or a spiritual "master", as the website does repeatedly. Those people are just full of themselves.

The emphasis on spiritual techniques is also questionable. True mysticism is about the inward state, not outward actions. Outward techniques, while important, should only be a vehicle for obtaining the inward feeling. The fact that the website doesn't talk about the inward state/feeling *at all* is a bad sign.

The ever-present ads and/or referencing of products for sale is also very off-putting. The whole website just looks like one big commercial. Real bad for a supposedly "spiritual" website.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Fred Little, who obviously knows something about the person in question. I suspected as much, but didn't have any evidence to back up such thoughts.

Last edited by Timothy WK : 07-23-2008 at 07:47 AM.

--Timothy Kleinert
Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
MM
United_States

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post

If you are interested in pursuing esoteric Buddhist studies with a qualified instructor in the United States there are a very small number of Tendai and Shingon teachers in this country who take on students; there are a larger number of teachers of Tibetan esoteric Buddhism. The traditions are related, but the Japanese stream branched off a bit earlier in the history of tantrism and has some notable differences from the Tibetan branch.

FWIW, there is a broad consensus that the Kuji-in and related practices are basically a Taoist/Shugendo system; certainly the system uses elements found in the Buddhist tradition, but if you want to find someone to teach you "authentic" Kuji-in or Kuji-kiri practice, your best bet is one of the Shugendo sects in Japan.

Best,

FL
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the post. I don't remember reading much on this topic here at AikiWeb. It's probably here buried somewhere in the archives, though.

While I don't have a burning desire for esoteric Buddhist studies, I do know people who do. If you have any other public info, the post would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Fred Little
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the post. I don't remember reading much on this topic here at AikiWeb. It's probably here buried somewhere in the archives, though.

While I don't have a burning desire for esoteric Buddhist studies, I do know people who do. If you have any other public info, the post would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

I'm easy enough to find by PM. If someone is making serious inquiries, I'm willing to be helpful within my limited knowledge; a lot of times the only answer I have is: "Beats the hell out of me!"

But I will say this about esoteric studies of any kind to anybody who is looking: If something smells funny, trust your nose.

Best,

FL

Last edited by Fred Little : 07-23-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: copy editing for comprehensibility
Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
A life long journey of no distance.
To be a mystic, realize you already are.
Yet, there is no "you" to be anything.
An interesting discipline.
I love when someone can sum up things so succinctly.
You nailed it on the head.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Well, I went to the site against my better judgement.

I remember years ago taking a date to see Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl. It was great. There was one segment where they sang a song that comes to mind *every* time I read sites like that. There was one line that stuck with me...

Quote:
How sweet to be an idiot,
And dip my brain in joy,
I always thought that was a remarkably insightful line...

Esoteric stuff is fine and dandy, but geez, some people seem to spend all their time doing the "all you can eat buffet of silly stuff" picking and choosing little bits and pieces from everywhere with no coherent understanding of anything...

Sorry, that site is just too silly for me. Probably a limitation of my ability to see the bigger picture, but... Nope, don't get it...

Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone on the forum has chosen to explore this side of martial thought, deep meditations, or awareness training? If so what kind of results have you had? Physically or mentally? Any recommended readings or teachers?
Thanks in advance,
Grasshopper
I have a pretty rudimentary sense of these things, but I've practiced shrine Shinto here and there over the course of 10 years. I have practiced chant-meditation (kotodama) almost daily in that time. Earlier on when i had more time I also semi-regularly practiced the form of misogi taught at Tsubaki Grand Shrine as well as a few other meditations. So while i am very much ignorant and poorly practiced compared to most who have access to this kind of thing, I do feel I can at least give a general sense of it.
Email Sensei Barrish if you're interested in a more authoritative take on it (I'd recommend it since he's a fully licensed priest and I'm just a half-assed student of his).
Ok preamble finished, here are my thoughts...
I think as usual, Lynn's remarks are beautifuly concise and spot on. The feeling you generate is everything to any mystical approach. I have heard Sensei Barrish say many times that when experiencing Shinto ceremony or meditation it is the feeling that counts most. The rituals are a kind of technology for generating the feeling. In that sense I would imagine nearly anything can be mystical in nature...and indeed I think that is the heart of Shinto thinking. Living is an expression of the spirit (however you may define it), and as such, how you live/act/feel determines the quality of the mystical interaction in your life.
As far as results are concerned, the most noticeable for me has come from misogi. I've always been a person with lots of neurological activity. If I'm not fidgeting or bouncing my leg, I'm looking at everything and thinking about everything and basically bouncing all over the place one way or another. That's not necessarily bad, but it's just shy of outright neurotic behavior and I've noticed that water misogi (in cold water) has definately helped me to calm myself. It's amazing how centering it can be. Even after years of not practicing it, I can get into some cold water and where others are having trouble controling their breathing, i usually have very little problem with it. I've even felt warm in approximately 40 degree water (in my hara, interestingly enough). I've heard other folks describe moments of clarity where answers to issues they've been having seem to present themselves. Sensei Barrish has practiced misogi daily for well over 16 years (If I remember correctly), rain or snow or sunshine. I'm pretty sure he would swear by it as being useful.
I would recommend Kami no Michi by Rev. Yamamoto Yukitaka, the 96th Guji (head priest) of Tsubaki Grand Shrine. It gives an example of the kind of thinking of a very highly ranked Shinto priest.
Again, as far as Shinto is concerned, you'd want to talk with an expert and I'm not one, but I hope that helps a little.
Take care,
Matthew

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Rev.K. Barrish

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja
United_States

Hello Shinto List members…

Re: Kuji Ho …

Kuji-Ho literally translates as: The Rite of Cutting the Nine Characters..it’s meaning is to banish misfortunate energy and summon protective energy and vitalize inner strength while calling on the protective power of SarutahikonoOkami.

TOIN O MOTTE OKONAU
(pray with spiritual vibration to invoke Okami’s protection)

RIN PYO TO SHA KAI JIN RETSU ZAI ZEN
(with courage and confidence I stand before adversity and move forward with strength)

MYOU HOU JI GEN JIN PEN JIN TSU RIKI
( I follow Kannagara, the Natural Law of the Universe and manifest divine KI)

DOUSOU SARUTAHIKO DAI MYO JIN
(Sarutahiko, Great Bright Being, Guardian of the Way)

HARAE TAMAI KIYOME TAMAE ROKKONSYOJO
(sweep aside impurities and purify the six roots of my spirit)

as for the hand positions themselves, if you can make the Omairi (shrine visit) to Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America I can show you….for your personal practice you can also make a hand sword with your right hand (looks like boy scout salute) and cut diagonally 9 times (1st time from right to left, 2nd time left to right etc.) and then cut vertically through the assembled pattern with Kiai….

Best regards,
Rev Barrish
Senior Shinto Priest of
Tsubaki America Grand Shrine
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Well lets see...I've got quite a few replies to go through...so here goes:

Dalen, thanks for sharing your personal experiences, I too have done a few readings on Jewish Kabbalah...I would love to hear your thoughts on your interactions with my Hasidic and Rabbinical cousins...how fortunate for you. On a side note I almost spit out my coffee reading a recent Time Magazine article giving props to MADONNA for her recent contributions to the 'New Age' Kabbalic revival...what a crock!! They even compared her to the Pope. Its Tony Robbins all over again. Sigh.

Matt Gano, thanks for the link to the Shinto sight...seems like i've come across it somewhere before. I appreciate your response as well, you mentioned that your Sensei was a Shinto priest and that added a mystical quality to your training...how so?

Fred, thanks for your feedback regarding Mr Leclerc, I do have some new avenues to explore with Shugendo and Tendai Buddhism, and I'm interested in learning more about Bujinkans' association with that system. And as a true Martial Arts Grand Master of Soke World Council, its nice to be recognized where ever I go...I should put that on my AMEX card.

Lynn...you are doing well with the Haiku's...keep up the good work.

Keith...quoting Monty Python is always an excellent choice...you just reminded me that I need to pop the Holy Grail in and take in the wisdom of Sir Robin. It brings some nice perspective.

Rev Barrish, I have no idea what you just said, but I know your heart was in the right direction...thats probably why your the learned priest and I'm the eager Grasshopper. Go in peace my son.

Gentlemen I really do appreciate the thoughtful responses do my difficult questions.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
eyrie

Australia

On Dan Penrod's article here, first picture to the right is of Ueshiba knitting... finger knitting that is... The image caption reads: "Masumi Matsumura and Morihei Ueshiba performing chinkon kishin in Mongolia, 1924".

Elsewhere, I've seen photos of Ueshiba standing and doing similar finger knitting. Whether there is a link between kuji-in and Ueshiba's purported mystic powers ... I'll leave people to make up their own minds.

Suffice to say, the Tantric practice, as it pertains to Japanese martial traditions and qigong generally, is cursorily documented in a few (slightly more authentic) places... for example, here, here and here.

As for the website... no comments.

Ignatius
Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
On Dan Penrod's article here, first picture to the right is of Ueshiba knitting... finger knitting that is... The image caption reads: "Masumi Matsumura and Morihei Ueshiba performing chinkon kishin in Mongolia, 1924".

Elsewhere, I've seen photos of Ueshiba standing and doing similar finger knitting. Whether there is a link between kuji-in and Ueshiba's purported mystic powers ... I'll leave people to make up their own minds.

Suffice to say, the Tantric practice, as it pertains to Japanese martial traditions and qigong generally, is cursorily documented in a few (slightly more authentic) places... for example, here, here and here.

OMG Dan's article describing O Sensei's dojo practices are almost exactly like the movements I've done in the few Qigong classes I've taken...I really enjoyed them and now have some more new found respect for the art. Amazing. I may have to give it a second go. Thanks for the book suggestions to my friend. The Aikijujitsu one looks like a must have.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
The Aikijujitsu one looks like a must have.
If you can read Japanese

Ignatius
Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
Hebrew Hammer

United_States

Quote:
If you can read Japanese
Damn it Jim! I missed that part....
Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Matt Gano...that added a mystical quality to your training...how so?
Hi Kevin,
In that I was practicing Shinto meditation. I described misogi and some of its effects.
Good luck,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
His ordination appears to have all the validity of a martial arts grandmastership awarded by the World Soke Council.
But Fred, I just sent in my application... I am SO bummed!
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:

Was "slightly more authentic" a deliberate understatement? The middle reference (to 大東流秘伝大鑑, by Mr Sogawa) is to a book of very dubious historical or technical value.

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #21
Fred Little
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
But Fred, I just sent in my application... I am SO bummed!
- George
It's ok George.

I have a better proposal for you.

Fred Little O.C.P.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
It's ok George.

I have a better proposal for you.

Fred Little O.C.P.
Less than $100, bam! I am now ordained!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 07-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States

The distance between
Form and Essence
can be as wide
as a thousand oceans,

as different
as a lush rain forest
and the dry desert sands.

Do not mistake
ritual and dogma
for Spirituality.

Seek that which is
imbued with Spirit.

It is there
that the Deeper Mysteries
are revealed.

- Old Saying

Mysticism is a tricky thing, as it can encompass perspectives from metaphysical diversions to true spiritual insight, depending on the source and the practitioner/teacher. Much of what is presented as mysticism isn't really, but there is real truth out there if one looks in the right places. Care is needed as well, because some of it can be.... shall we say, unhealthy without necessarily seeming to be.

Last edited by Aiki1 : 07-24-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #24
MM
United_States

I don't think it would be a hard stretch for people to say that Ueshiba believed in kami. But, at what point do people strain that understanding?

What I mean is that there is a very defined difference between "faith" and "belief". The former is without proof and the latter is based upon evidence. People sometimes interchange the two. In other words, restructure the sentence asked to people:

1. Did Ueshiba have faith that there were kami?

or

2. Did Ueshiba know and believe that kami were real?

The first is what most people would undoubtedly agree with. The second violates quite a bit of Christian religions. (If you want to discuss this issue, please open another thread.)

So, with all that in mind, how many actually believe that kami exist?

Did Ueshiba believe that kami exist?

And if you're a Shinto priest, do you have to believe in the existence of kami?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #25
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello Mark,

For Morihei Ueshiba, I do not think that such treasured 'western' concepts of 'faith' and 'belief' enter into the question. I think you need to abandon, or at least to suspend, your 'western' empiricist ways of thinking, when reading O Sensei. Comments below (marked PAG).

Quote:
I don't think it would be a hard stretch for people to say that Ueshiba believed in kami. But, at what point do people strain that understanding?
PAG. Well, I have studied O Sensei's discourses in Japanese and I know that they are a major challenge, even for native Japanese. However, I think that it is quite wrong to say that O Sensei 'believed' in kami: at certain times, he was convinced that he WAS the kami in question.

Quote:
What I mean is that there is a very defined difference between "faith" and "belief". The former is without proof and the latter is based upon evidence. People sometimes interchange the two. In other words, restructure the sentence asked to people:

1. Did Ueshiba have faith that there were kami?

or

2. Did Ueshiba know and believe that kami were real?

The first is what most people would undoubtedly agree with. The second violates quite a bit of Christian religions. (If you want to discuss this issue, please open another thread.)
PAG. Are you sure the difference is so well defined? I think you need to know that you have quietly added another ingredient to your mix. This is 'knowledge'. How does this differ from 'faith' or 'belief' and how much do you think that O Sensei was aware of these three distinctions? So how could O Sensei at the same time 'know' and also 'believe' that there were kami?

For example, if you had been present, when O Sensei announced that a deity appeared and told him to do certain things, like build a dojo, and you discussed the issue, what would you have said? Here is a suggested dialogue:

O Sensei: "And Deity X appeared and commended me to do Y."
Mark Murray: "Wait a minute, O Sensei. Do you really believe in these kami? Is this knowledge, faith, or belief?"
O Sensei: "Grab my wrist..."
Mark Murray: "Aaaarrrghhh. You misunderstood. I was asking a simple question..."
O Sensei: "No. You misunderstood. I have just given you a simple answer..."
Mark Murray: "No, no. I think you misunderstood. I have been training with Dan Harden and Minoru Akuzawa and they have really opened my eyes about what you are really doing..."
O Sensei: (sighs): "Grab my wrist..."

Quote:
So, with all that in mind, how many actually believe that kami exist?
PAG. Well, you would have to ask, for example, the population of Aikiweb? You could start by asking Rev. Barrish...

Quote:
Did Ueshiba believe that kami exist?
PAG. I think that this is not open to question.

Quote:
And if you're a Shinto priest, do you have to believe in the existence of kami?
PAG. Well, the Catholics have sacraments, which are supposed to work irrespective of the 'faith' of the priest performing the rites (cf. some novels of Graham Greene). Again you need to ask the Rev Barrish.

Very best wishes (and I am not joking--I have added smilies to prove it).

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury