Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States
Lightbulb Aikido's Mission

I need some help tracking down any threads about the "Mission of Aikido".

I want to know what The Founder said about aikido's mission. Does Hombu Dojo still hold to that mission? What about Saotome Sensei, Yamada Sensei, and all the many other prominent students of O' Sensei?

Is it more than learning techniques (I would hope)? Is it more definable than something like "Aikido is love." (I would also hope)

Where can I look? I couldn't find anything on Hombu Dojo's website, but I found it difficult to navigate.

Thanks, everyone!

WMReed

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aikido's Mission

HAHAHA, oh is that all you want to know...

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's a question most of us are still asking, after years and years of asking.

Last edited by ChrisHein : 05-07-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

"Making the whole world one family, this is aikido's mission and should be your mission"
- O Sensei

I cannot recall where I read this, but I've read it in more than one place. Guess I'll do a little research, but I believe someone'll beat me to the facts.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
Mark Uttech

Onegaishimasu. In the book: "Aikido" by Kisshomaru Ueshiba, the final section of the book has words of the Founder. On page 180 there is this saying:
"I want considerate people to listen to the voice of Aikido. It is not for correcting others; it is for correcting your own mind. This is Aikido. This is the mission of Aikido and this should be your mission."

Well, that bit of research went quick. Whew.

In gassho,

Mark

Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

"Let us have a universal mind that loves and protect all creation and help all things grow and develop. To unify mind and body and become one with the Universe is the ultimate purpose of our study."
- Koichi Tohei Sensei

Plus Ki
Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Check the articles and posts of Peter Goldsbury and Ellis Amdur here and at aikidojournal.com.

Good luck.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
gdandscompserv

United_States

I've always liked this perspective from the Aikikai Foundation's website:

A pure budo comes with the unification of technique, body and heart. The budo, which will manifest itself, does not depend upon the technique, but rather upon the heart of the practitioner.
The aim of Aikido is a kindness of heart expressed through this spirit of budo.
Here are some thoughts on the spirit of Aikido.

Aiki is love.
Budo is the path of the warrior. Combined with the spirit of heaven and earth in your heart, you can fulfill your life's destiny with unconditional love for everything.
Aiki seeks to skillfully strike down the ego and inherent insincerity in battling an enemy. Aiki is the path of forgiveness and enlightenment. The martial techniques provide discipline for the journey of uniting the spirit and the body through channeling the laws of heaven.

The goal of Aikido training is not perfection of a step or skill, but rather improving one's character according to the rules of nature. One becomes "resilient" inside yet this strength is expressed softly. Movements found in nature are efficient, rational, and soft,while the center is immovable, firm, and stable. This principal of a firm center is universally consistent -- and must be true for each person. The culmination of Aikido is expressed by aligning one's center with the center expressed throughout nature.

Aikido movement maintains this firm and stable center with an emphasis on spherical rotation characterized by flowing, circular, dance-like motions. These pivoting, entering and circling motions are used to control and overcome the opponent. The principle of spherical rotation makes it possible to defend one self from an opponent of superior size, strength, and experience.

Although Aikido movements are soft, rational, and smooth as in nature, by applying a bit of force,these can become devastatingly effective. The gentle quality of Aikido makes it appealing to men and women and children regardless of age. It not only offers spiritual development but also provides exercise and teaches proper etiquette and behavior.

At the heart of Aikido is the Eastern concept of Ki --the universal creative principle. Aikido seeks to unite this universal Ki with the Ki (life force or breath) found within each person. Literally, Aikido translates as "the way of harmony with Ki".

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/index.htm
Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

"The secret of aikido is to cultivate a spirit of loving protection for all things." & "Aikido is a manifestation of a way to reorder the world of humanity as though everyone were of one family. Its purpose is to build a paradise right here on earth."

from http://www.aikiweb.com/general/founder.html

And from http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=613
"Editor: During Ueshiba Sensei's training sessions in what way did he explain the techniques of Aikido?

No matter what it was that we asked him I think we always got the same answer. Anyway, there wasn't a soul there who could understand any of the things that he said. I guess he was talking about spiritual subjects but the meaning of his words was just beyond us. Later we would stand around and ask each other, "Just what was it Sensei was talking about anyway?" (laughter).

Now, balance all that with an eye-watering nikkyo, and I am really quite confused.

Sometimes (usually), asking the question does not mean you will understand the answer.

Last edited by Nick P. : 05-08-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Dewey
United_States

Aikido's mission?

We're on a mission from God!

Seriously, though. I think that particular issue fundamentally varies, depending upon which organization/affiliation you consult. O'Sensei's sermons and doka are so vague, they can be (and have been) interpreted in a myriad of ways. Not to mention that his own understanding of his own Art was a "work in progress" that changed several times throughout his own life. He labored on Aikido for the better part of 50 years.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Mark Uttech

Onegaishimasu. Here are a couple of excerpts from Saotome's book, "The Principles of Aikido",

1. Aikido, as O Sensei conceived and created it, is a practical philosophy to help the world. (p.216)
2.Aikido has but one principle- the universal reality of life. In their own nature as living human beings all possess the basic secret of Aikido. The purpose of Aikido is to better people's lives, to make their spirits blossom and become strong, and by making better people to make a better world. (p.1 from the introduction)

In gassho,

Mark

Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

A pithy and insiring thesis is writen in Andre' Noquets book,
Aikido: Heart and Sword.
He recounts his final conversation with Morihei Ueshiba after a 3 year stint as uchi-deshi in the late 50's, and the founders wishes for his mission. Not too abstract, as alluded to by some, and very heartful.
Please read it when you can.
Gambatte!

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
A pithy and insiring thesis is writen in Andre' Noquets book,
Aikido: Heart and Sword.
He recounts his final conversation with Morihei Ueshiba after a 3 year stint as uchi-deshi in the late 50's, and the founders wishes for his mission. Not too abstract, as alluded to by some, and very heartful.
Please read it when you can.
Gambatte!
The very last bit reads:
pp. 13-15: "Projetez votre coeur, plutot que votre epée! Les techniques de l'aikido sont secondaires, il faut en premier en atteindre l'esprit. Transmettez ce message dans le monde entier!"

IMHO:
Project your heart, rather than your sword. The techniques of aikido are secondary, one must primarily attain its spirit. Spread this message throughout the world.

There are some very interesting sections before that as well.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Mark Uttech

So the true mission of aikido is to extend the spirit of aikido, any which way you can?

In gassho,

Mark

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I must admit to being a bit dense at times, but I don't see how "aikido" can have a mission. Morihei Ueshiba stated a mission for his aikido and many others since have stated their own personal mission related to their practice and lives. Then there are many people that spend lots of time telling others what other people's mission statements are... and often arguing amongst themselves and anyone that will listen. It seems to me that "the mission" must be up to each one of us that trains in budo. We certainly can and should listen to and research others' ideas and then take responsibility for our own and continue to learn from our actions and experience.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
So the true mission of aikido is to extend the spirit of aikido, any which way you can?

In gassho,

Mark
In Noquet's book he relates his learning as the "heart extends beyond the spirit." In other words, our hearts have a farther reaching effect than our spirits. So forge away.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #16
dps

Aikido's mission?

Practice, practice, practice.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #17
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
It seems to me that "the mission" must be up to each one of us that trains in budo. We certainly can and should listen to and research others' ideas and then take responsibility for our own and continue to learn from our actions and experience.
Osu Sensei.
Total agreement here.
To search for O'Sensei's Aikido mission is somebody else's external direction or motivation. A good guideline.
But to search and know your own mission and how to use Aikido as a tool in that, I would think is better.
Rei, Domo.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!