Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
"Sandokan Aikido" Name

Posted 2010-12-17 13:40:45 by Walther von Krenner

I would like to inform the Aikido community that the name "Sandokan Aikido" belongs to me and has been used by me for 30 years. Another Dojo in Montana has been doing business using my name without my permission. Walther v. Krenner, Sandokan Aikido.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: "Sandokan Aikido" Name

Did the other dojo know that the name was already taken?.......
Not living in the States, how far apart are you from the "other" dojo with yours or the same name?
Is their some kind of infringement as to some copyrights law where this is concerned?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Mark B. Gibson
Japan

Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote: View Post
Posted 2010-12-17 13:40:45 by Walther von Krenner

I would like to inform the Aikido community that the name "Sandokan Aikido" belongs to me and has been used by me for 30 years. Another Dojo in Montana has been doing business using my name without my permission. Walther v. Krenner, Sandokan Aikido.

What do you exactly mean by belongs to "me". Did you trademark this name and register it with the US patent office??? As far as I understand US law a name can not be copyrighted. I believe it needs to be "trademarked" with the US patent office.

You might want to be careful with statements, like "belongs to me" or "is used without my permission". You making public statements like this might be considered "unfair business practices", if they are not correct or legal.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Mark Gibson wrote: View Post
What do you exactly mean by belongs to "me". Did you trademark this name and register it with the US patent office??? As far as I understand US law a name can not be copyrighted. I believe it needs to be "trademarked" with the US patent office.

You might want to be careful with statements, like "belongs to me" or "is used without my permission". You making public statements like this might be considered "unfair business practices", if they are not correct or legal.
Exactly as I thought too....If the name legally " belongs to me " there is no need to put the information on this forum, take action...

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I'm confused. According to your website, http://www.kalispellaikido.net/:

1980 Moved to Montana and started Sandokan Aikido School.
2009 Severed relationship with Sandokan Aikido LLC, helped students found Aikido Kenkyu Dantai.

So how is the name still "yours"?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Michael Black
Dojo: Woodlands Aikido Center
United_States

I remember the day my first teacher (Toyoda, Fumio Shihan) brought me and another student into a class room and proceeded to say that this person was no longer the Dojo-cho of Shinjinkan Dojo (True Mind) giving him instead the honor of being the Dojo-cho of his (At that time) newly built HQ Ryoshinkan Dojo. I was then given the name Shinjinkan (Heart of the Forest) Dojo. These two names have different Kanji and when our teacher passed my good friend went back to using the name Shinjinkan (True Mind) as well he could since the name reflected at that time something of a personal nature to him and my name being the translation of "The Woodlands Aikido Center". Today we are both good friends and recently had a Shinjinkan Dojo Squared Seminar. I know that the name Shinjinkan is used by several other entities and I am glad that we can all enjoy the reasons why we choose our names or were gifted our names as my friend and I were by our Aikido and Zen Master Fumio Toyoda Shihan. I also happen to know that even though there is more than one Michael Black in the world that there really is only one "Michael Black" Lol!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Josh Reyer

Japan

Multiple unaffiliated dojo with the same name are common in Japan. There are any number of "Shinbukan", some with differing kanji, some with the same. It's just the name of a building; it shouldn't be given undue importance.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer