Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-21-2001, 04:57 PM   #1
JimPellerin
Dojo: Ottawa Aikikai
Hi,

Does anyone know of any place where I can get detailed descriptions and diagrams for the various throws and techniques such as Ikkyo, Nikyo, etc.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:17 PM   #2
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
Quote:
JimPellerin wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of any place where I can get detailed descriptions and diagrams for the various throws and techniques such as Ikkyo, Nikyo, etc.
sure. just about any good aikido dojo can give you detailed descriptions for the techniques

(sorry it was there)

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 01-21-2001, 08:54 PM   #3
sjl001
A couple of days ago I posted here for feedback on a book titled "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere"

Two responses stated it was good and commented on the illustrations being great.

They were correct(as far as I can tell provided my limited experiences) I thought the illustrations and explanations were good as soon as I figured out the sequencing b/w illustrations. Try to find it at a discount as it is hardback and a little pricey but i dont regret spending the cash on it and it will probabely serve me longer than other books i have purchased in the past (including many university textbooks I keep on my shelf because they wouldn't give me 2 bucks back for 'em at the end of the semester.

Boy that was alot of rambling

Justin
Old 01-22-2001, 05:34 AM   #4
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
JimPellerin wrote:
Hi,

Sadly, though, detailed descriptions are pretty useless. You could try "Budo" , O Senseis training manual which used to be top secret. It's illustrated too.
If I'm looking for tips outside the dojo, I look for clips on the web. There's a couple here, a few more at the aikidofaq, some clips of O Sensei and Tohei Sensei around (I searched from http://www.google.com, one site with pre ww2 clips) and a surprising abundance of clips made by the Yugoslavia Aikikai. Some are great. Some aren't.
Hope that's useful,
andrew
Old 01-22-2001, 11:58 AM   #5
SeiWhat?!?
Dojo: Long Beach State Univ. Seidokan Aikido Club
Any fairly large bookstore will have a section on martial arts, Aikido included. If you have some time to kill, just visit one and flip through some books. I can recommend Saotome Sensei's books, "The Principles of Aikido" and "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature"; they have great pictures and explainations.

Unfortunately, pictures can be deceptive. I just came back from a seminar with Ikeda Sensei (thanks Musubi Dojo for making me feel welcome!), and if I took pictures of what he was doing, I'd miss at least half of what he was really doing because his movements have become so small and subtile.

Best advise I've ever received:
"Don't just stand there, do SOMETHING! The fact that you may have failed doesn't matter, it's HOW you failed. Go down swingin'."

Scott Tanaka