Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #26
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

no i am not Jorge, however we all are ultimately our own teacher, and are likely to meet many 'senseis'... but "my sensei" is the best i have ever seen or studied with...

Edwin Neal

Old 04-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #27
Chris McMahon
Dojo: Hokuryukan Dojo, Marquette, MI
United_States
Re: Poll: Is your current aikido instructor the best aikido practitioner with whom you have ever trained?

yes
Old 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #28
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
Yeah, he is, since he's a 3rd Dan, and all the other ppl with whom I've trained are 2nd Dan or lower. I did however witnessed a Seminar by Masatake Fujita Shihan (8th Dan from Hombu Dojo), but didn't participate 'cause I was so new I didn't have a gi and felt stupid. But he signed my t-shirt anyway, and I've got a photo with him
Lucy,

One thing to not get hung up on is rank. Just because your Sensei is a 3rd Dan does not automatically make him better than a 2nd Dan.

Evaluate each person you train with on their own merits rather than just assuming that higher rank equals better skill.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #29
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States

I have watched people at my dojo, other dojos and seminars all leave the mat with varying degrees of knowledge or confusion. On each of the occassions we all encountered the same instructor therefore it appears that the only true teacher of Aikido for each of us is ourselves. The Sensei or workshop leader is a guide and a resource but we each teach ourselves by applying our understanding to what is demonstrated. I have two long studied, high ranked, Sensei plus numerous dedicated sempai at my dojo but always my best learning occurs after class or alone on the mat reflecting on what was presented. Sometimes the best lesson is something that weny completely wrong. This is a long way of saying that practice and reflection are my Sensei and they are the best teachers that anyone can ever encounter.