Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Do you have any permanent aikido-related tattoos on your body?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 3, 2006:

Do you have any permanent aikido-related tattoos on your body?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Takumi

Dojo: Roe Jan Aikido
United_States
Re: Poll: Do you have any permanent aikido-related tattoos on your body?

A small tattoo of the kanji Aikido...

Formed like this:

Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
jeff.
Dojo: aikido of morgantown

i'm getting osensei's calligraphy for "masakatsu agatsu katsuhayabi" on my forearm, with the circle and dot sign (the name of which i've suddenly forgotten) above it. i'm probably also getting a triangle, circle and square on the back of my upper arm (also on the right arm) eventually.

fun!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Thanks for those descriptions. Saves me from asking. To unskew the results of the poll - i voted no, but I have no tattoos at all. (Can't count the discoloration from a piece of windshield in my chest)

dave
Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Thinking about it... Trying to decide on what I want... just kanji... kanji and background... what... Thinking small on the back of the shoulder.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Yes, but it is located at places where the it will never see sunlight

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Yes, but it is located at places where the it will never see sunlight

Boon.
Go on Boon, you can show us, we are all friends here

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Kanji for masakatsu agatsu in a copy of Osensei's handwriting on my right calf.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Joe Jutsu
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

I voted no, I have no tat's but I'm really thinking about it. "Reiseishin" I think would be my aikido related tattoo, a copy of my sensei's caligraphy.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Tattoos have always made me think of children who write and draw on themselves when they first discover ink pens or magic markers. It is a vain attempt to keep something; like when a photographer takes a photo of lightning or a sunrise or sunset; or of anything, for that matter. In aikido we have "ichigo,ichiei": this one moment will not come again.

In gassho

Mark
Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Tattoos have always made me think of children who write and draw on themselves when they first discover ink pens or magic markers. It is a vain attempt to keep something; like when a photographer takes a photo of lightning or a sunrise or sunset; or of anything, for that matter. In aikido we have "ichigo,ichiei": this one moment will not come again.

In gassho

Mark
I can understand that. Every time I open the same book, the story inside might seem different, or I might find something that I missed before, because a different man is reading it each time. I think that is part of the reason that I'm glad I got the tattoo in the first place. When I look at it, sometimes I think of the "me" that no longer exists.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #12
hapkidoike

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:

In gassho

Mark
This is a fairly limited view of art. I dont have any tats, nor do I have the inclintaion to get one (I am too cheap and lazy to care), but cant this argument be extedned to say that painters are just like kids who write on walls, and scluptors are like kids who play with play dough? This would be a very ungenerous comparison I think. I personally dont like art (by art I mean speciffically painting/photography/sculpture/the theatre/etc atlthough I do not include music in this list). It doesnt get me off, but I dont sweat other people who do get off on it, or get off on mediums that I dont understand. Just seems like a jerk off thing to say Mark. Also, I used to run with a crew who had tats all over their bodies, yeah faces too, and they werent trying to be vain nor were they trying to "keep" something that has passed the instance in time that is NOW . I would like for you to clarify your position for I do not buy that photographers are trying to "keep" something that happened in an instant in the past. I would argue that they are meerly trying to use mechanical reproduction as a means to create 'art' (and no I am not currently prepared to define that term, although it may become necessary later).

Last edited by hapkidoike : 12-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Mark Uttech

I think I can clarify my position this way: Some people look at reality and exclaim, "it looks just like a picture!" Other people look at a picture and mention that it looks like a real picture.

In gassho

Mark
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #14
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:

In gassho

Mark
So you have no pictures of your kids, parents or other loved ones? You don't have any keepsakes or mementos that bring to mind days past? I am sincerely impressed if you can truly live completely in the moment.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
gary james

Dojo: ASU
United_States

I've got Aikido in kanji on the back of my right forearm. I'm glad I got it because I know Aikido
will be a permanent part of my life! It's also a good conversation starter. Somebody is always asking what it means.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #16
Mark Uttech

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
So you have no pictures of your kids, parents or other loved ones? You don't have any keepsakes or mementos that bring to mind days past? I am sincerely impressed if you can truly live completely in the moment.

Bronson
I do not know of anyone who lives completely in the present; at the same time, I do not dwell on the mementos I have. As the Buddha said: "This is because of that; that is because of this: but not always..."

In gassho,

Mark