Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
FMA and aikido - bad mix when new?

So

An opportunity has presented itself to me and I'm wondering whether to pursue it, or whether it will lead to ruin. I'm soliciting opinions...

I have to option of training in some Yoseikan aikido / aikibudo...a style which I studied briefly several years ago. I have to admit I enjoyed it. As a judoka primarily, I like being exposed to wider set of 'opportunities to throw'. Plus, it's never bad to sharpen ukemi.

I currently study Balintawak Kali / Amok. As far as I can tell, it seems to be less circular than most FMA, preferring to fight 'in close'. Sometimes my judo works very well with it...and sometimes it ends up with a rubber shiv in my ribs or a stick upside my head.

FWIW I think the following clips are fairly representative of the mechanics -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zWmzTySAnoc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Om0U6Cr8Y18

(yes - those are random feeds in the first. I know - crazy hand speed. Mine's not anything like that

The stepping, the body movement, power generation etc feel quite different to what I recall from Aikido.

Just wondering to those that have experience in both: does studying both concurrently hinder you in learning - esp when a beginner in both? What's been your experience?

PS: FWIW - I have about 6-8months aikido under belt, 6-7 years judo (currently practicing), FMA (about 6 months)...and a bunch of other stuff over the last 15yrs. So I'm not 'first day' new...but still...new

Experiences?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: FMA and aikido - bad mix when new?

IMHO, being a beginner in 2 systems is too much.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

I second Lynn. Try to finish either one first, training them both at the same time will take you nowhere.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote: View Post
I second Lynn. Try to finish either one first, training them both at the same time will take you nowhere.
How do you finish a martial art?

I agree most people could not learn 2 new arts at the same time. But it depends on your mindset and the person. I say if you honestly want to try it, then go for it. Just be careful to keep the arts separate while you learn the basics.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Depends on you

Would you be able to learn them as totally distinct items?
Are you coordinate enough no to confuse and come to each lesson with carry overs from the other art?

I can not.
I know some people who can.

Just like some people have difficulty learning a single foriegn language and others can learn several and even start them in parallel.
Just like some people can face more complicated math then othes.

Being able to learn multiple arts as a beginner is a gift. Some people have it, many others do not.
Unless you are one of the gifted ones, you should not.

Amir
Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
gregg block

United_States

Build strong foundation in one art before branching out. Without a good foundation things tend to collapse when trouble comes.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

I wouldn't do it. Think of the hours in the day. My usual metric is that to make progress in a style, I want to train three or more times a week. With two styles, that's six days a week. Do you even have that many classes available to you? Do you know what it's like to live with only one free evening a week? Will your other obligations allow for it?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post

I agree most people could not learn 2 new arts at the same time. But it depends on your mindset and the person. I say if you honestly want to try it, then go for it. Just be careful to keep the arts separate while you learn the basics.
I meant finish learning the basics, at least on the black belt level...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
You finish being a beginner and you begin really learning.

Sequentially, get a base in one first.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
Just wondering to those that have experience in both: does studying both concurrently hinder you in learning - esp when a beginner in both? What's been your experience?
Unfortunately, I'd been doing Inosanto Kali for fie or six years when I resumed doing Aikido, so not quite a "beginner" in both. But I didn't find it a hindrance. I tend to see FMA as covering a lot of ground and many ranges of combat, when you consider both the armed and empty hand sections, whereas Aikido is more specialized on certain areas. You may see similar things in FMA, but Aikido spends more time on them.

Granted, that's my impression based on doing Inosanto Kail. I've had a taste of Balintawak once in a great while, but I don't know how much it covers with weapons and the empty hand. But if it's anything like what I've been doing, then I see more potential for overlap than confict provided you know what to look for.

As to whether you should do both at the same time while new, I first did Aikido when I'd been at karate for a year and a half; I didn't find any major problems. If you have the time, the money, and your instructors don't freak at you training with someone else, and you really want to do it, go for it!