Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom
Belt problem

Before anyone starts on colours or urban myths this is not what this thread is about.

I have just got a new belt and I am having a problem keeping it tied. It's very stiff. Any hints on softening it a bit. It's a club belt so I don't want to abuse it too much.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Re: Belt problem

Wash it once , then after drying , wrap it around something like a staircase-handle (?) ,
something without sharp edges and pull from end to end a couple of times,
it works for me :-)
Old 11-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

HI amanda, soak it in fabric softner for a bit

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 11-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
No Dan
Dojo: Aikido of Conway
United_States

Time, sweat, and blood. This is why I am still a NO DAN.....
Old 11-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Ah, new belts, the highest form of origami!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
crbateman

Pound it on a flat rock...

Actually, I know a guy who, when going through colored belts in Judo, made a small contraption out of wood that had small offset pinch rollers inside. Then, he'd run the belt into it and out the other end, and stitch the ends together in a loop. Then he'd clamp it in a vise and power it up with an electric drill. After an hour of running through this thing, the belt would be limp as a rag.

Interesting, but he probably could have spent the time curing the common cold or something...
Old 11-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Kevin Wilbanks

I don't know what a "club belt" is, but it sounds like it might prohibit my solution: get a different belt. I threw out the 'good' belt that came with a gi years ago and fished a nice limp cheap one out of the community belt box. It is thin, flimsy and ties a really nice knot.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

You know, I have a lot of students who ask this question or one like it. I always tell them it'll soften up after a couple of washings.

But now I have some other suggestions I can give them.

And, being a gadget freak, I even have a gadget I can try building. One that doesn't involve stitching the ends of the belt together.

Hmmm.......

Old 11-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
NagaBaba

Quote:
Michael Riehle wrote:
You know, I have a lot of students who ask this question or one like it. I always tell them it'll soften up after a couple of washings....
Washing a belt!!!!!!!!! What a heresy!!!!!!!
To soft up a belt use it to the techniques where you tie an attacker with. That is martial reason to have a good black belt

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Jess McDonald
United_States

Yes washing a belt is heresy!!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I'm not washing my belt, cause I'm oldschool y'all.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 AM   #12
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

My last new belt was stiff. So I tied it up best I could and worked out where the knot was. Took it off and wrung and twisted and generally stomped that section to soften it. Cos that's the only bit of the belt that really needs to be soft.

The belt softening gadget sounds genius though.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 AM   #13
raul rodrigo
Philippines

On the other hand, a stiff belt makes for a larger knot, which in turn helps keep your hakama from slipping lower in the course of a class. When I shifted to a softer belt (Mizuno), I found my hakama heading south more often than it used to.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #14
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote:
Yes washing a belt is heresy!!
I dont wash my belt, because the threat of staff and ringworm keep my foes at bay.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
Jaikido
Dojo: Shin-Gi-Tai Society
Wales

When I was a white belt once I put mine through by accident. Somehow it got a lovely pink stain. So I'd never advise belt washing!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
crbateman

A PINK belt??? That's just wrong...
Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
Kevin Wilbanks

Please wash your belts. If you want to observe some kind of foolish superstition, try avoiding cracks on the sidewalk or not walking under ladders. As Don points out, an unwashed belt is like a petri dish for any number of microrganisms, and probably also smells awful. Coming to class with any part of yourself or your training clothes filthy and stinking is disrespectful to your training partners. If you have trouble with it getting tangled in the machine, buy a laundry sock bag made of netting to wash it in.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #18
NagaBaba

Sorry Kevin, You don't understand KI power

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 11-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
Kevin Wilbanks

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
Sorry Kevin, You don't understand KI power
I don't claim to, but if it's supposed to be something that accumulates in one's belt, yet can be removed with soap and water, I feel comfortable dismissing it as imaginary.

Incidentally, by the logic of not washing a garment to preserve the "ki", wouldn't you be better off not washing any of your training clothes, or even your normal clothes? In fact, it would probably be best to always wear the same clothes, and never wash them or your body - the layer of dead skin, mold and bacteria that would develop on your unwashed body would provide even more substance in which the ki could accumulate. Perhaps our homeless urban population is an untapped resevoir of invincible warriors...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
seank
Australia

I just wear my belt into a pliable state... I must admit I too am a little to old school to wash my belt, but I certainly don't let it sit gathering mould or the likes; I take it out and air it between classes.

20 years of combined MA training and I haven't had an issue with a belt getting too nasty (mind you though I've never had one belt long enough to wear it out (Aikido might change that though )

Simple wear and time does wonders for making a belt easier to tie.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #21
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
A PINK belt??? That's just wrong...
Well, in our Stockton dojo I'm told that there used to be a pink belt. It got that way through the predictable white-belt-in-the-reds-washing incident. But the instructor at the time kept it around.

When teaching children, you get used to them "losing" their belt. They show up without it, but class must go on. A disproportionate number of times this happens with boys.

So, the aforementioned instructor would make them wear the pink belt, whatever their rank was. The boys would generally only lose their belts once or twice during this period.

But, alas, the pink belt era had to come to an end. It seems that a rash of girls losing their belts corresponded strongly with the general acceptance that if you showed up for class without your belt you wore the pink belt. It was eventually decided that this was not a coincidence.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #22
Mato-san
Iceland

There is more than one way to knot your obi so she holds.....especially a fresh one.
But the new gi will always need a tweak.
Just another flavour.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #23
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I would wear a pink belt. Then again, I would also wear a pink hakama.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #24
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Sean Kelleher wrote:
I just wear my belt into a pliable state... I must admit I too am a little to old school to wash my belt, but I certainly don't let it sit gathering mould or the likes; I take it out and air it between classes.

20 years of combined MA training and I haven't had an issue with a belt getting too nasty (mind you though I've never had one belt long enough to wear it out (Aikido might change that though )

Simple wear and time does wonders for making a belt easier to tie.
I've gotten blood, sweat, and dirt on my belt. Usually from very sweaty guys who may not of actually washed their gi in a week or so and sweat horribly due to the nature of bjj. If I did not wash my belt weekly, it would be a biohazard. In fact, anytime I get human blood on anything, I get a little paranoid.

I also have 3 gi's. I wear a clean one each class, and wash it directly afterwards. Of course the level we train tipically is so hard that my gi is actually able to be ringed out its so heavy with sweat, and if it was not washed and instead hung would stink so bad nobody would grapple with me. I have gotten ringworm before, it was not pleasant. This is why I'm so careful of being clean. I also bathe right after class with dandruff shampoo to kill off any bad stuff. I watched the guys in the last ultimate fighter get staff. It's scary stuff. So far I have not notice a lack of growth in my fighting skills.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-23-2006, 03:03 AM   #25
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

thanks for the advice all. I've tried the twist it up and wrap it around something without sharp edges suggestions so far and although it doesn't really feel that much softer it does now stayed tied so all is well