Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-03-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Ideas Teaching Aikido for Disabled ?

I recently have been challenged to find good techniques to begin teaching a gentleman who suffered a double leg amputation. I was initally uncertain what do to, but then asked myself, "What would O-sensei do?" The answer was straightforward -- Teach him aikido. The only question then was what to start with. So off we go.

He came to us wanting to learn to fall better (for obvious reasons). We have been working on that, and making modifications to ukemi, (initally without prosthetics, and from suwari). I have to keep reminding his training partners not to shirk the techniques or ukemi just because he is not standing up.

A few hanmi-handachi examples on the hesitant seemed to set this aright.

I felt that he could not learn the falls without learning the throws as well. I have also tried to begin nage technique with various techniques from a feet-planted position (as I would not for the more fully-legged aikidoka) and adapting them for a beginner in suwari. We are starting without prosthetics on the adapted nage-techiniques as well.

Any brilliant suggestions or insights for this novel adventure??

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Robert Cheshire

Dojo: Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
United_States
Re: Ideas Teaching Aikido for Disabled ?

Really stress hip movements and whole body movements. Our students with both legs can sometimes cheat by using legs or just using the top half of the torso (muscle through it).

I would teach basic rolls and falls first. I would then ask him/her what they want to get out of the class. Depending on the answer I would stay on the path you have started or (if they want good self defense they might have to use) have them stand and do the techniques (or however they ambulate). Key is learning how to modify (remember use of whole body here) techniques to fit how they can or can't move.

We have had at least two handicapped students and this approach has worked well with both of them.

Robert Cheshire
Yoseikan Budo/Aikido
www.yoseikanbudo.us
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

No direct ideas

i guess you already looked for older similar threads in this forum and I recall that Molly Hale held some aikido demonstrations (classes?) on last year's aiki expo in a wheel chair, probably www.mollyhale.com or www.aikido-west.org can help a little bit further.

Regards Dirk
Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
Any brilliant suggestions or insights for this novel adventure??
IMHO, do a search and contact Sensei Molly Hale. She does brilliant Aikido out of a wheelchair.

Trained with her at the Expo. We had to do everything from a chair.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

I have been working with a student for about 8 weeks now who had a single leg amputated at the knee, plus he's about 65. I think he's doing remarkably well.

I beleive his prosthetic is a little out-dated and he could do better with some newer technology, but I don't think he will be getting it.

I am just trying to get to know his limitations and little by little figuring out what he can and can not do.

He does not think he can take ukemi at all, so I'm not pushing it.
I just demonstrate things and he tells he if he can or can't try it.

He does have some problems with balance and pivitong because he can't seem to stay off the heel of the prosthetic leg.

It's difficult to work with him and time consuming but well worth it. He's become a good friend and an inspiration.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 03-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Perry Bell
Dojo: Deshi-do
Australia

Hi to you all,

I had a student who trained with me who could not speak and was deaf, and had poor eye sight, she trained with me for a number of months and only stopped because she moved away from the area.

The only advice I would give is "keep up the good work"no matter what they don't pick up or cant perform in Aikido technique the lesson you are teaching is more important, that is one of tolerance and respect, with a little love thrown in for good measure.

Perry
Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
IMHO, do a search and contact Sensei Molly Hale. She does brilliant Aikido out of a wheelchair.

Trained with her at the Expo. We had to do everything from a chair.
I took this advice. Thank you.
Even if you are not teaching handicapped people, this is an inspring story at www.mollyhale.com

My classes have now expanded to include the startup of a wheelchair Aikido program at a rehab center where I have been teaching adapted TaiChi. It will be an interesting challenge.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 03-26-2006, 02:07 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Another good method of learning how to do aikido or teach aikido to disabled is to pair up with a disabled person at a seminar, ask the sensei for help, and then watch and listen very carefully. You perhaps won't learn a whole lot, but as each little thing sticks with you, you learn gradually.