Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
neb1979
Australia
Simplified description of Aikido

Hello everyone,

I was looking on the Nihon Daito Ryu Aikibudo Daito Kai website when I stumble across their version of a simplified way of describing Aikido, here it is.

To simplify one could describe Aikido as a modern philosophy that incidentally turns out to be also a very effective defensive system.

Here is the site http://www.daito-ryu.com/en/frame.htm

What does everyone think?

Cheers
Old 01-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Simplified description of Aikido

Aikido is a traditional japanese martial art that combines a moral philosophy with an effective defensive system... i think that is better...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

I like the 2nd definition better.
But when asked to give a simple definition of Aikido, my answer depends on who I am talking too.
If a karate student were to ask I would have a different answer than someone with no experience. If my teacher asked me on a test, then I would have yet a different answer.
Also, my definition keeps changing.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 01-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Steve Morabito
United_States

Quote:
Ben McClean wrote:
To simplify one could describe Aikido as a modern philosophy that incidentally turns out to be also a very effective defensive system.
This is really nice. I agree that it really does depend on who it is that you are responding to...good point Jim. Many of us could spend hours describing aikido in detail, so it's always nice to have a simple explanation of our practice on hand for the interested layperson. For these reasons, I'd modify it slightly for my needs... perhaps something like this:
Aikido is a modern philosophy that incidentally turns out to be also a very effective way to resolve conflicts, both verbal and physical.
Notice I deleted the term "defensive system". Yes, aikido is clearly effective to defend oneself, but I look at it as more of creating harmony in a situation where there is conflict.
Steve

Last edited by Steve Morabito : 01-31-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

The previous definitions are all very good, but this definition fits me:

Aikido is something I've tried to do for years, continue to try, and one day hope to be able to do.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
eyrie

Australia

The definition of harmony is the absence of conflict. If one is in a state of harmony, where is the conflict? If there is "no" conflict, what need is there to act in defense of one's self?

There is nothing "modern" about the philosophy of aikido. It's all really old stuff... ancient knowledge that has been lost and rediscovered.

So simply put, Aikido is the Way of [being in] Harmony [with Nature].

Or is that TOO simplistic?

Ignatius
Old 01-31-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
bratzo_barrena
Dojo: Aikido Goshin Dojo
United_States

Ignatius wrote:
The definition of harmony is the absence of conflict. If one is in a state of harmony, where is the conflict? If there is "no" conflict, what need is there to act in defense of one's self?

Aikido is a way to solve conflict thru armony/blending/fusion whatever you want to call it.
So CONFLICT is necesary to exist for AIKIDO to have a reason exist.
As you said, if there's no conflict, Aikido has nothing to armoniza/blend/fusion with.
So when training uke's work is to CREATE CONFLICT with his/her attack --a constructive one, not a competitive/destructive one-- and Tori's work is to armoniza/blend/fusion with that conflict thru Aikido principles.
If there's no conflict, there's no Aikido. It would just be an Aikido-like dance exercise, or some kind of "Aikirobics" (Aikido+Aerobics), but not a martial art at all.
So Aikido would be a martial art that solves conflict thru armony.

Bratzo Barrena
Instructor
Aikido Goshin Dojo
Doral, FL
Old 01-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
eyrie

Australia

Unfortunately, we cannot perceive harmony without conflict. We cannot perceive "oneness" without duality.

The principles of conflict resolution aren't unique to aikido. Being centered, going with the flow, conceeding ground to gain ground etc. etc. One does not need to do aikido to learn how to resolve conflict... but it can help.

Ignatius
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
neb1979
Australia

Hey Steve, I like your version better it makes more sense.

Bratzo, I'm with you on this one. I believe that to be harmonious with nature there needs to be conflict. I think what people perceive harmony to be is a place were there is no conflict what so ever. This is what people are brought up expecting "Heaven on Earth" (harmony with nature) to be. This in my eyes is not what "Heaven on Earth" (harmony with nature) is meant to be. How is one suppose to be able to recognize what Harmony is if there was no conflict to measure it by.

Example: Say a child was born into the world where there was no conflict what so ever. How would that child know that it was living in a world of Harmony if they didn't know what conflict was?

Cheers
Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Edwin Neal
United_States

conflict/harmony oneness/duality exist both externally and internally so there is always a context for comparison... or at least thats what the little voice in my head keeps screaming about ;-0

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
eyrie

Australia

Ah, perfect example! Perhaps it would be useful to view the harmony-conflict dichotomy as a state of equilibrium, rather than as polarized opposites as black and white (or yin & yang?).

A child that is brought up in a happy, loving environment would only know that state to exist as their state of normality. Likewise, a child brought up in a state of constant conflict, would only know that state as "normal".

What is "normal" to you may be "abnormal" to another.

Ignatius
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Edwin Neal
United_States

notice that the yin yang symbol has a spot of the other side in each... if you were in a world of absolute harmony you could for example become really bored and thus conflict is born out of harmony... in a state of constant conflict you could find some peace or harmony of mind thus is harmony born out of conflict...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

my simplified definition of aikido , when someone asks me "what is aikido" is..

a non-competetive martial art that combines joint locks, pins, and throwing (if talking to another martial artist i might add something about our system of blending and the philosophy as well.)
Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I think you are not defining Aikido, rather, each is defining his own Aikido personal way according to his preferences.

For me, today. Aikido being M.A. is first. The philosophical part stems from there, and is part of it, not the other way around.

Amir
Old 02-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Putting the "Harm" into "Harmony"

Don't know who said it first but I always liked it.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote:
For me, today. Aikido being M.A. is first. The philosophical part stems from there, and is part of it, not the other way around.

Amir
Exactly.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

When people ask me what Aikido is, my answer is usually: "Wonderful."
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #18
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Lightbulb Re: Simplified description of Aikido

Quote:
Matt Molloy wrote:
Putting the "Harm" into "Harmony"

Don't know who said it first but I always liked it.

Cheers,

Matt.
I LOVE IT !!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 AM   #19
doronin
Circle Aikido is an experiment

I would say Aikido, as a general term, was an experiment. At this moment it's a modern direction in evolution of Japanese martial arts with major purpose to refine the way of how to deal with incoming agression.