Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2002, 10:13 PM   #26
akiy

Hi Peter,

Maybe it'll tickle you to know that I taught shomen-ate (or the most reasonable facsimile thereof that I could manage) in a class last night...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-28-2002, 10:23 PM   #27
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
And???

Did they enjoy it?

It is a great technique but as Sean mentioned to do it right all the basic principles of Aikido must be employed.
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Hi Peter,

Maybe it'll tickle you to know that I taught shomen-ate (or the most reasonable facsimile thereof that I could manage) in a class last night...

-- Jun

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-28-2002, 10:28 PM   #28
akiy

They seemed to enjoy it. Of course, as I wrote, it was probably not the "best" shomen-ate that you've seen or done but was, more or less, the best I could do...

-- Jun

Old 08-29-2002, 01:14 AM   #29
mike lee
hazardous to your health

I think the reason that most people who practice aikido aren't so familiar with shomen-ate is because it's seldom done in contemporary aikido. I think the reason for this is that it can sometimes cause serious neck injuries.

Some forms of jujitsu still teach this technique.

P.S. Visitors to this Web site should be aware that not all of the posters are practicing aikido.

Last edited by mike lee : 08-29-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:43 AM   #30
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: hazardous to your health

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
Visitors to this Web site should be aware that not all of the posters are practicing aikido.
All of those mentioning shomen-ate in this thread practice Aikido.

In full resistance randori this technique is quite common (it works). Mike is right that the technique performed on the untrained uke has the potential for serious consequences but you know I have never seen anyone injured because of it. Now if we want to talk about death and injury try shihonage. Face it boys Aikido by its very nature is a dangerous thing to do.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 AM   #31
akiy

So, to head off the age-old argument of "what makes a technique 'aikido'" (which would be a great different thread, by the way (ahem)), I'll say that I've seen many, many techniques done by aikido shihan who trained under the founder that people might say, "Huh? I didn't know aikido had ------?" These techniques include sweeps, kicks, punches, sutemi, leg traps, pressure points, and so on.

My intention in starting this thread was to discuss which techniques were considered "paramount" by people here. I know many people who believe that ikkyo is the "most important." I believe Shioda sensei thought that shihonage included all of the most important principles in aikido. And so on.

Now, back to your regular scheduled programming.

-- Jun

Old 08-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #32
henry brown

Dojo: Soseikan, Worth IL
I was originally thinking tenkan (get out of the way), but after reading Lynn S.'s vote, I agree that ukemi is the most important technique. We will all end up falling when we are elderly, osteoporotic and have bad vision, but most of us will never face an attack (and would we use aikido if we did?).

I'd rather not break my hip, thank you.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:54 AM   #33
mike lee
new waza

As far as I know, ukemi is not considered a technique or waza in aikido. But I've been living in isolation for the last 15 years -- maybe the definitions have been changed and no body told me.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:54 PM   #34
henry brown

Dojo: Soseikan, Worth IL
Mike,

I agree with you in that ukemi is not strictly a technique, but most martial arts (in the whole universe of western and eastern styles) do not pay as much attention to falling down safely as Aikido generally does. Any two year old can do it, right?