Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #26
GC_Chew
Dojo: ANU Aikido Club
Has anyone here felt that Ki sensation where you attack before they do cause u know what they are going to do?
Old 02-06-2004, 02:07 PM   #27
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
I had the sensation you were going to ask that question, then you did

, can't find m s
Old 02-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #28
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States
Hello everyone that responded to my earlier post (Ian, Don, Jesse, Nick,and Bryan) I really appreciate you all trying to cheer me up.

I still feel a little rotten about hitting my sensei, but my own self-inflicted head injury seems to be clearing up. At least I don't seem to be suffering from loss of concentration,loss oof conceeentration,loss of concentrationgrogaloga,looosso of concentragzep... or anything.

No Bryan(Bateman), I don't really know how it happened. The kumitachi are paired forms and we each have all our strikes and steps predetermined. I don't know if my own timing was off, or was his. Because I am a beginner, and he has 13 or so years of experience, I tend to want to believe the former- it was my fault.

If the kumitachi is performed correctly, I attack with a (mune?)tsuki (thrust to stomach), and he in turn blocks with a circular-style block which flings my blade up and over my left shoulder as I cross step to the left off-center with my right foot.

As he comes in with a shomen strike to my head, I pivot to my left on my right foot and simultaneously strike to his wrists. The problem was that when I pivoted and struck, his head was in the place where I was expecting his wrists to be, and my bokken was already in motion and moving fast.

Anyway, I appreciate you all responding. It has cheered me up substantially, and I don't feel so bad about going back to the dojo next Monday night and having to face everyone (especially sensei) after such a blunder!

Thanks, James
Old 06-02-2004, 07:35 PM   #29
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States
Re: Boken Attacks hurt

Quote:
Lan Powers wrote:
After all the instructors in the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs may have disproved this as a no-longer-valid theory.
Twenty years have passed since I was taught this, so...

(And, no, I haven't fenced in the olympics...)
My fencing coach was not Olympic caliber, and neither was I, but I was always told to observe the bell guard in foil fencing. You can see shifts there that telegraph what the blade will be doing. You care what the tip is doing, but it is too fast to follow.

This seems to parallel the watching of the hands on the Katana a bit.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #30
NagaBaba

Quote:
James Giles wrote:
I was practicing the 8th kumitachi with my Sensei, and I cracked him on the top of the head with a Shomen strike by accident. Looking back, I don't even know how it all came about. I tried to pull back at the last instant, but I heard a loud *WHONK* and a very hurt look on his face.

Has anyone else out there had to go through this?

James
He is practicing for nidan? You should hit him twice hard! At this level, no more mercy, no pulling back.......... It wasn't your fault at all. Hurt look? Surly, cos he knew he failed to defend himself in prearranged practice. So he imagined himself in spontanous practice and realized: "Oh, well, I'll test in 2010". Long way to nidan, isn't it....

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #31
Troy

Dojo: Yellow Springs Aikido
United_States

Look between the eyes, or at the forehead. Kinda blurr your vision a bit. This way, you are not being drawn into anything but the situation. This works for me.

"The Art of Peace is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions."
-Morihei Ueshiba
Old 06-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #32
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States

yup. they hurt. That's the whole point of using a weapon

As for where to look, my sensei says too look past the opponent. If you relax, you can see their whole body at once. There is something similar in go rin no sho where it musashi says something to the point of 'don't focus on one part, see everything. easier said that done
Old 06-04-2004, 12:09 AM   #33
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I've been told to look at the center of the upper chest. Using your peripheral vision you should be able to see their feet.

I'm always trying to train myself to use my peripheral vision. Yesterday I was in a waiting room reading a book and was noticing the people's movement around me while still reading. It takes some practice but it's really not that hard, you just have to remember to do it when you have the opportunity.

This is something I started learning how to do when I learned to juggle. You can't watch each ball or you lose the other ones. You look through the center of your pattern and use your peripheral vision to adjust the position of your hands....which if you're good shouldn't be much

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-04-2004, 01:02 AM   #34
bob_stra
Australia

GC_Chew

I dunno. I kind look at the middle of the guys forehead, being sure to keep his shoulders with my peripheral vision. That way you can see if his shoulders, chest, hips etc move, without (1) Having to gaze into his eyes (hypnotic) (2) letting him know you're not gazing into his eyes (3) focusing on nothing in particular (soft eyes)

If I do the "soft eyes" thing - I tend to drift off / loose concentration.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:50 AM   #35
SeiserL

United_States

Me-tsuki: soft eye focus gets better use of periphery vision which picks up movement faster. It isn't really a matter of where you look, but how. If you focus on any one thing, you tend to miss everything else. Its about just looking and seeing. Also when your eyes see weapon, you mind sees fear.

Relax, breathe. Practice slowly at first. Look through the uke as if just gazing at the horizon. Some people say look through the eyes, others suggest looking through the chest.

Since most people are used to eye contact, looking through them is a disorienting experience. It make you look calm, so they feel the fear.

It just take practice.

Hope that helps in some small way.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #36
justMe
United_States

I try to focus on where I am moving. For exmple, if I am making a tenkan movement I first turn my head/eyes in the direction I want to go. That being said, I also what boxers call the soft gaze. That is not focusing on any one thing in particular, but trying to see as much at one time as possible.

Hope that is not too confusing
Old 06-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #37
TexV2
Dojo: Aikido Of Petaluma
United_States

In Kenpo I was tought to focus on the shoulders. Eyes will lie to you shoulders will always project where the attack is going. Can't tell you how many times I would reel someone in to focusing on my eyes and project a head strike then get me a foot full of rib cage.Through training with my friend who was Aikidoka, and learning Breaking techniques. i.e. focusing through the object not on the object. I found that I had greater success in Free sparring (weapons and empty hands) when I focused on nothing in particular but kept everything in peripheral vision. If that makes any sense. Now that I am Aikidoka as well....I find that these principles are even more essential. The more I focus on any one thing the more jumbled I get in thought. Thought interferes with the natural progression of the technique.

Here is the quote you were looking for:
"Don't look at the opponent's eyes, or your mind will be drawn into his eyes. Don't look at his sword, or you will be slain with his sword. Don't look at him, or your spirit will be distracted. True budo is the cultivation of attraction with which to draw the whole opponent to you. All I have to do is keep standing this way."

- O Sensei

Respect to all

Tex http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/editpo...tpost&p=72422#

Last edited by TexV2 : 06-04-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:51 AM   #38
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Hitting someone with a bokken can be a little scary. While testing, during the kumitachi, the uke missed the block totally (they made me do them all over again since I was too aggressive-don't know how you can be too aggressive in a sword fight . In any event, I have one of the middle weight Bujin bokkens (not light). I realized the guy was going to miss the block and managed to only lightly thump him on the cheek bone. When I did them over, he missed it again and I hit him again. Fortunately, it was not hard enough or loud enough for the test committee to hear. If I had not been able to stop the stike I would have shattered his cheek with the heavy bokken. I felt bad but the uke knew what was coming and should have made the block.