Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #76
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States
Re: Frustrated by unconvincing aikido

Quote:
Here's the thing, The telegraphed lunge punch defended by a wrist grab looks pathetic to anyone that has ever been in a real fight. No one cares what principles you think you are developing, the stuff doesnt work when the chips are down.
Here's the other thing, if you are learning your techniques correctly then when someone throws a punch you have moved either inside or outside and put yourself into a position where you control their centerline.

Then even if you miss the "wrist grab" you are in position for any number of techniques.

We were working on this today actually. Control the centerline first when the attack comes and then do whatever technique works rather than trying to force a particular technique.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #77
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I should hate myself for responding to this, but...
Don't be so hard on yourself Ron, we all still think you are a good person

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #78
"XWF"
IP Hash: f10f2e7a
Anonymous User

Quote:
Ok, so youīre at a seminar and you donīt get / enjoy what the instructor is teaching. Maybe it all just seems totally silly to you. You have several options:

1. Stay off the tatami during that session.
2. Stay on and try to practise sincerely .
3. Stay on and mess about, having a laugh.

However, you do not have the option of getting frustrated and blaming that instructor for your lack of understanding - that is your problem.

Train or donīt train.

Whining is pointless.

Q
I like option #3.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #79
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Here's the thing, The telegraphed lunge punch defended by a wrist grab looks pathetic to anyone that has ever been in a real fight. No one cares what principles you think you are developing, the stuff doesnt work when the chips are down.
Geez, mummy, can i grab the wrist? Huh? can I? can I? Please mummy, please? I wanna GRAB THE WRIST (TM)!

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #80
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Xu, it's therapy time again...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #81
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Whether the punch is speedy or not, GET OUT OF THE WAY! Instead of trying to grab their wrist, go for the shoulder; once you have your hand on the shoulder, it should be (relatively) easy to find their wrist. Throughout all of your technique, you should be MOVING.

Admittedly, seeing someone slooowly throw a punch and have their wrist grabbed on the second try by someone with poor timing can look pretty sorry...

...but you have to start somewhere. Some of the people that walk through the door of your dojo will be out of shape or klutzy, or have no experience with fighting at all. If you don't work with them, they probably won't get a chance to improve.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 03-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #82
CaseyD

Quote:
So quit aikido and try something that you find more practical. The people in these forums want to discuss aikido not try to convince skeptics.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:01 AM   #83
"koyo"
IP Hash: 4cab2d9c
Anonymous User

Hi Aikidoka
I have been training for forty plus years and have had the privilage of seeing aikido before it was influenced for better or worse by we westerners. Perhaps the best advise I was ever given was. DO NOT CHANGE THE ART TO SUIT YOUR EXPECTATIONS LET THE ART CHANGE YOU. Proper training should leave you with a peaceful compasionate nature that you emanate off the mat and a very pragmatic and effective fighting art when needed. TRAIN HARD FIGHT EASY.

KOYO
Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #84
"Strike N. Grapple"
IP Hash: c7266774
Anonymous User

I find myself frustrated to no end at aikido seminars these days. They're often overcrowded, many people are trying to quickly determine a pecking order by figuring out what rank you are and there's rarely time to work on much stuff at any kind of indepth level.

I've attended a few seminars of late with names that I really respect and would no doubt more greatly enjoy were there time to actually train stuff with them that wasn't based on just the "Try this combo" or "This is how I'd deal with a tackle/punch/kick" (nevermind training the body skills and delivery system is where it's at to gain those skills).

In many cases, if there were a few of us around to try these things against progressive resistance, especially in an aikido context, once we got past the "rank doesn't equate to skill" nonsense, I think people would really begin to learn something. Sadly, without such training, it's reduced to lots of people going post-seminar "Oh yeah, I've always done it that way" or "Yes, my skill is much better", even when demonstrated next-to-squat when they were on the mat.

So, I think for the time being, I'm done with seminars. I'm going to continue to train with the people that I enjoy in smaller settings. People that will test me, not let me get away with things because of perceived skill or "teacher" status. I'll go visit and play with the rough guys from other styles for periodical reality checks, because unfortunately, I am one of those guys that needs to be able to test my aikido to make sure it will work on SKILLED/TRAINED people from other systems that don't necessarily know the correct/acceptible ukemi.

I'm gradually accepting my own status as an elitist/snob, which is probably not good for my character or "spirit", but I'm getting less inclined in my advancing years to maintain the "training as group hug to support the existing status quo" that I see becoming more and more the norm.

Best to everybody . . .
Old 03-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #85
NagaBaba

Quote:
I find myself frustrated to no end at aikido seminars these days. They're often overcrowded, many people are trying to quickly determine a pecking order by figuring out what rank you are and there's rarely time to work on much stuff at any kind of indepth level. .
IMO seminars are not to learn technical details or deep study. Such things you can do back home with your own instructor.
Seminars, particulary with shihans are to show you in what direction your study must go. For effective training you need some kind of general "structure", and they provide it.

Quote:
I'll go visit and play with the rough guys from other styles for periodical reality checks, because unfortunately, I am one of those guys that needs to be able to test my aikido to make sure it will work on SKILLED/TRAINED people from other systems that don't necessarily know the correct/acceptible ukemi.
More I train; more I'm convinced it has very limited utility for aikido training. For such tests you need to establish some kind of rules, and such rules will deform transmission from Founder. As you don't really know Founder intentions, which are behind every technique, your own judgment (choice of rules) will overwrite his idea.
If you don't care about Founder, that will be another story, but you'd better not call it aikido.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #86
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Strike and Grapple,

I suggest you attend one of Ellis Amdur's seminars. I found that the two I attended cut through the BS you mentioned, and provide the opportunities you are seeking. There is a review of the last of his seminars I attended on this forum.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #87
"Aikidokakakakaa"
IP Hash: 5dc09e19
Anonymous User

Quote:
Train or donīt train.

Whining is pointless.

Q
That's right! We won't listen to your dissenting. Aikido is fixed and we are all your seniors both morally and intellectually because we have dedicated even more time than you to not questioning the art.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #88
dps

I may be a little late with this post but I just joined this website.
I have seen film of Osensei demonstrating the no touch techniques.
My second sensei had a fairly hard style but would occasionally
demonstrate a no touch technique and describe it as leading your uke's
mind. I think it is a matter of timing your movement with your uke's
movement when uke attacks. We practiced this slowly at first to learn
the flow of the movement and when the attack from uke was faster it
is more effective. Nothing mystical or magical about it.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:19 AM   #89
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

sometimes perception or expectations are all that is needed to influence the actions of others!