Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-08-2002, 05:26 PM   #1
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Permanent Dojos

Hi guys, Ihave had several conversations over the last few weeks regarding the amount of pemanent Dojos in the UK (I realise that most of the correspondents on these forums are American, however there are some Brits on the boards). It seems that there are not many in the UK compared to the US. I'd just like to know how many there are in the UK. I hope this is not considered a trivial question.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-08-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
Jim ashby
DAMN my spelling!

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #3
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia
Smile

Even though I live in Australia, the Dojo that I train at is linked To the UKA, they have a full time Dojo In Old Hill. The Address is
227 halesowen rd
Old Hill, west Midlands.
http://freespace.virgin.net/uka.aikido/

Hope thats what you wanted.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
Jim ashby
Thanks Scott. Sensei Smith will be teaching at the big three seminar in Lowestoft, he's also taught several courses at our Dojo.An amazing man. The main thrust of my question is how many permanent Dojos are there in the UK? I've asked most of the instructors in our association and they are not sure. What I mean by permanent is that the Dojo is not a church hall/sports centre/rented space shared with others, but is a dedicated Aikido dojo.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-09-2002, 08:32 AM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim ashby
What I mean by permanent is that the Dojo is not a church hall/sports centre/rented space shared with others, but is a dedicated Aikido dojo.
You mean the dojo has bought the building itself and isn't renting? Interesting question. Frankly, even in the United States, I don't know of many dojo like that (where the dojo actually owns the building)...

Maybe I'll make it into a poll question.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-09-2002, 08:35 AM   #6
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Hi

There is a permanent Aikido dojo in Nottingham as part of the Shudokan.

You can find it from the Shudokan web site at http://www.shudokan.org.uk/

Cheers

Si
Old 05-09-2002, 09:29 AM   #7
RossEd
Dojo: Tenchikai Aikido
I think that there is an Iwama dojo near Cambridge (a village called Orwell perhaps). I was told that they do uchi deshi courses, run by a sensei Sargeant, who trained under Saito sensei.

Hope thats correct,

Ross
Old 05-09-2002, 10:07 AM   #8
Jim ashby
Damn this language! What I mean is that the Dojo is a permanent thing where you don't have to put out mats or clear them away for the next user. I hope I'm making sense, I feel like I'm running this brain in for the dog.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-09-2002, 10:14 AM   #9
RossEd
Dojo: Tenchikai Aikido
Hi,

I understood the question.

As far as I am aware, this place is a dedicated building used for the sole purpose of Aikido training.

I re-read my post and it sounded like an endorsement. To clarify, I dont know the guy and tread on a different path - I heard about it while asking about live in courses in the UK.

Ross
Old 05-09-2002, 11:50 AM   #10
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim ashby
Damn this language! What I mean is that the Dojo is a permanent thing where you don't have to put out mats or clear them away for the next user.
Hi Jim,

I know what you mean. My home dojo (Sheffield Kyogikan) is 'permanent'. We're based in an old industrial workshop, the Trafalgar Works, right in the middle of town.

Its a little basic, but has an excellent 'budo' atmosphere about it somehow. We help make up the rent by sharing the space with a Go Ju Ryu Karate club, and sub-letting to some of the Sheffield University MA clubs. (Who've been getting an extremely raw deal from the University sports centre lately.)

Before moving there we were based in a pre-fab in the grounds of a hospital. (Never needed their assistance, fortunately. )

Next time we move we're hoping for something a bit bigger. (And showers would be nice.)

Sean
x
Old 05-09-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica
Jun,

You're right, this would make an interesting poll question.

I've been lucky enough to spend all my time in Aikido at permanent dojos dedicated solely to Aikido in New York, Brooklyn, Memphis and Washington. We'll be starting a dojo in Norfolk soon and we never even considered a shared space. I guess we just got used to the luxury.

I suspect, however, that the norm is a shared space where the mats are moved each class. There are several dojos that have been around for 20 years or more that still have to take up the mats after class.

JIM Baker
Old 05-17-2002, 12:53 AM   #12
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
The Keihatsu Aikido club in Milton Keynes, and the Phoenix Aikido Club in Coventry both have permanent dojos.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-17-2002, 01:05 AM   #13
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
I just added up my dojo time...

Since I came back from Nam in late 67 until now, I have had only a total of 6 years that I didn't have my own "permanent" dojo where aikido and judo were taught.

Since the early 80's Shinto Muso Ryu jo has been practiced most of the time in my dojo as well.

The dojo has always seemed like home to me. Not a bad place to raise kids either.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-17-2002, 04:03 AM   #14
Jim ashby
Hi Bryan. The Phoenix is where I train and the Keihatsu is affiliated to our Dojo. I travel to train at Stoney Stratford once a month with one of our instructors, Martin Barradell, we're always given a warm welcome and several beers. Several of the "Milton Keynies" train regularly at the Phoenix, in fact, three of them were there last night.The Keihatsu is celebrating its first year anniversary soon, should be a good night out. Anyone know where there are any other permanent Dojo's in the uk?
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-17-2002, 04:44 AM   #15
batemanb

Smile

Jim,

I was a Milton Keynie for 9 years, although I was part of the Seishin half, also affiliated to Phoenix until recently.

I now live, work and train in Tokyo. Please give my best wishes to Tom and Rick, they both know me quite well.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-17-2002, 08:01 AM   #16
Jim ashby
Hi Bryan,
How long ago did you move to Japan? If you know Tom and Rick, we may have met sometime. I have been described as a grey-haired Saddam Hussein look alike. I took my Shodan in Belgium under Sensei Thielemans in 1996, although all of my training had been in Coventry. We used to travel to Brussels for the Dan gradings every september, we now hold them in Coventry, and it's quite an occasion. I'll ask Marianne, Derek and Sally if they can describe you.
Have fun

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-17-2002, 08:57 AM   #17
justinm
United Kingdom
I've trained in two permanent dojo in the UK. One in an old converted hanger, the other purpose built in a back garden (yard?).

Every other one has been in a sports hall or community centre.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:47 PM   #18
batemanb

Jim,

Only moved here permanently in March last year so there is a good chance I trained with you at Coventry sometime, were you there a few years back when I bought Nakao Sensei from Kobe over to teach on a Sunday? If you go check out the MK web site (www.miltonkeynesaikido.com) and look at the gallery pages in the Seishin section, you will find some pictures of my leaving session, including some of me practicing with Rick . There are also one or two of me on our web site here (see my profile). Next time you visit with Marianne et al, say hi from me.

I also remembered last night that I trained with a friend once in a permanent dojo down in Bushy, near Watford. It`s a Yoshinkan club located in an old nissan hut on what looks like an old military campus in the local wood. I can`t remember the name of the club or the address, I was just working in the area at the time, although I am sure that they won`t be hard to find.

Just remembered that there used to be a large one down in Bristol too run by one of the more well known English Sensei, although his name escapes me now, Marianne or Mike may remember, we all went down there a few years back to a seminar with Toyoda Sensei, back when the club was part of the Kai Shin Kai (pre Yama Arashi).

Last edited by batemanb : 05-17-2002 at 06:00 PM.

Old 05-18-2002, 06:45 AM   #19
Jim ashby
Now I can place you. Last time we trained together for any length of time was at the British Timken summer school. Last we spoke you were into import (export?) of clothes.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus