Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
joeystouch
Dojo: orange county aikido Aiki Kai
United_States
Aikido patch

Dose anyone know where to find some good aikido patchs?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States
Re: Aikido patch

I don't think I've ever seen an Aikido 'patch'.... From what I've heard patches are somewhat frowned upon... I could be wrong....
Old 05-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

The only patches i've seen are from specific dojos and are sewn onto the left shoulder of the gi.
We have one and people at seminars have commented that they like it and would like to have one for their dojo. It isn't flashy but it lets people know where we're from. I haven't heard any negative comments about patches but would be curious to know what people think.
Gaia

Old 05-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
joeystouch wrote:
If you are asking about generic patches, call Phil Hall Martial Arts Supplies in Westminster (405 and Westminster Blvd.) or Musashi Martial Arts in Beach in Stanton. Some of the catalogs have them too.

Otherwise, check your front desk for a school patch.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I do fine hand embroidery and would be happy to create a patch for anyone! I recently embroidered a friend's hakama, and am working on a kanji design for a patch for a weapons bag.
Go to my website & hit the "embroidery" link for more samples. There is one i made for my sensei in the galleries here on aikiweb,too. This one i did for my former karate teacher...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowlotus.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	173  

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #6
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Boy Scouts.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Personally, I'm not into patches that much. I have none on my gi at all, but there are one or two decent ones out there. Here's a good link for many patches if you are into that :

http://www.martialartssupermarket.co...Prod&subid=192

Old 05-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
joeystouch
Dojo: orange county aikido Aiki Kai
United_States

thank you there for my jacket not my gi
Old 05-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Our dojo has patches, or at least *a* patch for our branch, but I've noticed that not all the students wear them. Not sure if they're optional, or what. If they are, I'll probably skip the patch just because I think the gi looks nicer without it.

*shrug*
Heather
Old 05-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I prefer my patches to be on my gym bag. Just my personal preference.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
cpwoodby
United_States

Our School offers a realy nice Aikido patch that is non-specific as to the style or location of the dojo. It is a simple 3 1/2" red circle, black edge with black "Aikido" Kanji in the middle. You can look at it at www.aikido101.net. As far as it being inappropriate to wear on your Gi, I think it is up to the individual or the school. I want people to recognize that I am an Aikdoka practicing Aikido, not Karate, Taewando, or Judo. Everyone knows the big three and Tai Chi but many people have never heard of Aikido. I think it is a good thing to help promote Aikido in any and everyway possible.
Charles
Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
crbateman

There are a few generic Aikido patches out there, and they often show up on eBay. There is a yellow triangular patch with two aikidoka practicing, and another with a decorative orbital sphere (kind of like an atom), and the red one mentioned above. Most others are done by the schools themselves. The selection is meager, and this is probably due to the relatively small demand. Also, besides a simple patch for your school or romanji of your name embroidered on the rear of your hakama, it seems that decorative trappings of this nature are often considered vanity in Aikido, much the same as rank stripes are rarely displayed on one's obi (belt).
Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 AM   #13
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

The association that I belonged to in Tokyo had a patch worn on the left lapel. Personally I don't particularly like patches, but wore one as I was asked too . Here in the UK our association also has a patch, but they are optional here, I don't wear one.

At the all Japan Embutaikai and Tokyo Aikido Renmei gatherings I saw more than one club/ association with patches.

Patches aside, I prefer the plain kanji/ kana embroidery on the sleeve, I've seen many people in Japan with their dojo name embroidered along with their name on either or both, their sleeve and hakama.

I have a a couple of old dogi that I purchased in Japan with Aikido kanji embroidered on the lapel. I saw it in the shop window and liked it at the time. These days I only wear them if my plain one hasn't made it out of the washing in time.

I don't think patches are bad, there's nothing wrong with your club/ association putting patches on the gi, it's all down to personal preference.

Rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 AM   #14
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

We don't have patches, but all hakamas have the wearer's name embroidered on them.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:04 AM   #15
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Speaking of patches.... my sensei's wife use a TKD (Tae Kwon Do) dogi with patches all over. It really stand out among all the other student's shall I say austere outlook. Once I privately asked her why she uses a TKD dogi when she don't even practice TKD. She said, it was given by a someone and she said it would be wasteful not to use a perfectly good dogi. Speaking of austerity... that is by far the most austere dogi in my heart.

Personally, I am not a fan of patches. I prefer the austere look. It reflects nicely how I do my aikido, no fancy technique, just whatever is functional.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:48 AM   #16
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

I used to have patches on my denims as schoolboy, when they had holes. It was not quite fashionable, but I was proud of being able to do it by myself, even having used (broken) 2 to three needles in our sewing machine per patch. That was in the 70's. Patchwork jeans became famous at the same time or al little bit later, but looked somewhat different from mine Now they are proud of showing their holes.

No, I do not like patches or badges on keiko gi. I have one on my weapon bag.
Embroidered names or initials are something different. I am thinking about it. That looks good and might help in the locker room

Dirk

Off topic: TKD gi are good, if they are strong enough. You don't have problems with open jackets.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

I also not a big fan of patches. I like the embroidered Kanji that some judo gis have on the left breast.

What might be nice is a patch or embroidery of something simple and not cluttered. Something that identified you as an Aikidoka, but not boast of a school or style. Like that big black circle that is associated with Aikido. Imtempted to paint that on my kids bedroom wall. It's simple in design, but you can get so much from it.

Shannon
Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 AM   #18
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

When I first read the heading of this thread it made me think of nicotine patches and thought someone was on aikido cold turkey and needed help to get off it

We have patches with the symbol of our dojo (quite normal in our organisation) and even though I am normally all for simplicity I like our patches. I feel like they show whose student I am and as I am quite proud of my sensei (like everybody I guess ) I donīt mind displaying that in public.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:45 AM   #19
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

We have a optional patch, its just white rose aikido in kanji, black text on a white patch, its very plain and simple and looks quite nice. We intended for people to wear it on their right shoulder (the sword arm) but most have put it on their left shoulder, their chest or even armpit, but I think that was down to poor sewing ability...

We also have our surnames and white rose embroidered on the backs of our hakama in gold generally, it's very small and smart looking.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #20
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
When I first read the heading of this thread it made me think of nicotine patches
- I'm with you Sonja, I'm not on the aikido patch either. - Rob
Old 09-21-2005, 04:09 PM   #21
crbateman

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
When I first read the heading of this thread it made me think of nicotine patches and thought someone was on aikido cold turkey and needed help to get off it
That is HYSTERICAL... I know many people who could be described in exactly that way!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
Zato Ichi

Quote:
Joey Vargas wrote:
25 September 2005 Cumulative Patch for Aikido (Q321232)

Summary

Who should read this bulletin:
Aikidoka using Ukemi 5.3 or lower

Impact of vulnerability:
Three new vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow the user to throw themselves at the ground and miss.

Maximum Severity Rating:
Critical

Recommendation:
Aikidoka using the affected versions of Ukemi should install the patch immediately.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #23
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

I'd like an aikido patch for when I go on vacation and don't know of any dojos in the area - sort of like a smoker on an airplane.