Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Boris Spassky

United_States
My teacher is ill- who should I train with now?

My teacher has become very ill and will no longer be able to train us and I was hoping to get some insight from you folks.

Our style is Shin Shin Toitsu although we are an independent dojo and not affiliated with the Ki Society. The closest Ki Society school is several hours from here...

There are several quality schools in the San Diego area but I do not have any idea which is the "closest" to what I have been training in.

Anyone in this area want to chime in? I am only an intermediate student so I am hoping for some advice-

Thanks for reading!
Jamey

Still looking for authentic Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
RED
United_States
Re: My teacher is ill- who should I train with now?

Are the senior students not taking up your ill teacher's classes?

MM
Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Sorry to hear your teacher is ill.

What about the senior students at your dojo? When my teacher was recovering from a knee operation, all the yudansha in our dojo took turns teaching, that worked out quite well.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

James,
Marty Katz Sensei (Godan, AAA) is in the San Diego area and is a direct student of Fumio Toyoda Shihan, who in turn, was a close friend and student of Tohei Sensei. His dojo is called Ryushinkan Dojo. He is a magnificent instructor, both very soft and light, and very, very martial as well.

We are located in Vista at 1310 North Melrose and you are always welcome to visit and train with us. Ken MacBeth Sensei (Godan, AAA) is also a direct Toyoda student. Drop in if it is convenient any Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday evening at 6:30.

We wish your instructor a speedy recovery.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Boris Spassky

United_States

Thank you for your response(s). My teacher was retired until about 1 year ago when we talked him into teaching again....He has several blackbelts who are off doing there own thing but I am interested in good local instructors. I am the senior student and Sempai at this time (Nikkyu) and am not nearly qualified for leading anything other than stretching exercises- LOL

Mr. Hackett, Sensei Bud (Kassahn) speaks VERY highly of Katz Sensei I just did not realize he was in town. I also did not know the lineage- Thank you I will DEFINITELY stop by!

I am also determined to look into both of the Yamate-Ryu and Daito-Ryu Aikijutsu schools that are nearby (Poway?)

Thanks again for your well wishes and take good care!
James

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Michael Hackett

James,

Come up and visit on Saturday mornings at 9:00AM. Rafael Martinez (Sandan, AAA/Shodan, Goju-Ryu/Shodan, Yoseikan) teaches an Aiki Jujitsu study group at our dojo and sometimes trains back and forth with the folks in Poway. He won't be here this Saturday, but will return on the 25th. We are just north of the 78 on Melrose, about 45 minutes from downtown.

Michael
Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Agree with Michael. AAA is Aikikai but they have retained a lot of the ki society stuff. I'm ex-AAA.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I'm sorry about (and for) your teacher.

You are welcome to come visit Aikido of San Diego, where I train, and see if it's a good fit for you. I am a lowly 5th kyu, but we have a lot of good teachers (8 or so) in addition to Dave Goldberg Sensei, who teaches at least one adult class every weeknight. We are just off Friars Rd., just east of 1-15.

The 90-minute Friday class starts at 6:15, if you're free. And coming up on Sept. 24-26 we have a seminar with Mary Heiny Sensei.

We are in Division 3, I think, of CAA, under Robert Nadeau Shihan. You can learn more at www.aikidosd.com.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Linda Eskin

United_States

Also, the husband of one of our students trains elsewhere with a small group doing some form of classical ju jitsu, IIRC, in the Del Cerro area. Drop me a note if you'd like me to get you contact info for him. I think it's a little group, and not likely to have a web presence or business location.

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 09-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
James Gibson wrote: View Post
Thank you for your response(s).

Mr. Hackett, Sensei Bud (Kassahn) speaks VERY highly of Katz Sensei I just did not realize he was in town. I also did not know the lineage- Thank you I will DEFINITELY stop by!

I am also determined to look into both of the Yamate-Ryu and Daito-Ryu Aikijutsu schools that are nearby (Poway?)
It sounds like you've got some good references already. If you're still exploring other schools as well to see what's out there, the place I'd train if I moved to San Diego is in Alpine. http://www.defensivesystems.com/aishinkan/index.htm

Best,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Michael Hackett

I know Fox Sensei from my other life and he's the real deal. Alpine is not far from downtown SD, but a tough drive at that time of day due to traffic, probably an hour most days.

Michael
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Linda Eskin

United_States

My apologies for popping in again... I realize my dojo is probably not what you are looking for. I don't know if any of these will be, either, but here is a collection of 10 links I've accumulated for local Aikido dojos over the past year or so:
http://www.delicious.com/LindaEskin/..._County+Aikido
Maybe one of them will be of interest.
All the best,
Linda

Old 09-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
Peter Wong

I met MacBeth Sensei a couple times very friendly. His dojo would be a place I would checkout.
I'm going to start a thread someday, How did you pick where you train.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

In addition, a simple suggestion:

If your teacher can still talk, go and ask him for suggestions.

You may find out you are not the only one who is being helped by the act.

BR
Amir
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
I know Fox Sensei from my other life and he's the real deal. Alpine is not far from downtown SD, but a tough drive at that time of day due to traffic, probably an hour most days.
Yeah, good stuff. I reckon if I moved to San Diego, I'd study the best location to live to minimize that experience, but.. <shrug> the drive to my dojo from San Jose has as it's final stage, a 12 mile drive up a twisty mountain road that has been known to make people car sick who don't get car sick.

I have one guy who makes the drive twice a week. It's all about what you want to study, really.

Personally, I kind of like having that kind of obstacle. It eliminates the casual folk, not that I have anything against them, but I don't really have the space for a bunch of casual students.

Best,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
Boris Spassky

United_States

Thank you VERY MUCH for the recommendations!

Linda Son- I appreciate your advice I have read your posts in the past and you clearly represent the Aiki spirit! I will stop by Goldberg Sensei's class.

Michael Son- So that Sensei teaches Aikijutsu at your aikido dojo? Do you know if he is Daito-Ryu or Yamate-Ryu or other? Thanks for the info.

I have been devastated about the failing health of my teacher but am now motivated and excited to get out and see what is available for me- I know I am VERY fortunate to be in San Diego with soo much Aiki talent close by! I was thinking about Chiba Shihan's school as well as Sunset Cliffs Aikido with Bernice Tom Sensei, but really want to observe the Aikijutsu as well.

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions- as someone who has 20 years of experience in the striking arts and only a few in Aiki, I can clearly state that I will be a student of Aiki forever, folks from the striking arts are RARELY this unbiased of helpful!

James

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
Michael Hackett

James,
As I mentioned in a previous post, Rafael's background includes Yoseikan Budo and his study group primarily works in that arena, but also explores the Daito Ryu. These aren't formal classes in the sense that a student will achieve rank through testing, etc., but are a study group led by a very experienced martial artist. Often you will explore a "traditional" Aikido technique to its' aikijujitsu roots. I hope that's a helpful description. Come see for yourself - great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Michael