Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Teaching Aikido to Children in Fredericksburg, VA 4/1/2006

Posted 2005-11-03 09:32:27 by Aviv
News URL: http://www.gashuku.net

No, it's not an April fools joke!

Aikido in Fredericksburg intends to host a seminar on teaching Aikido to children. The seminar is tentatively planned for the weekend of April 1, 2006 in our dojo in Fredericksburg, Virginia (one hour south of Washington, DC).

The program goal is to provide "how-to" resources and share best practices so that we can improve our teaching skills in working with children.

Please contact aviv@aikidoinn.com for more information about either attending or being a presenter at the seminar. Arigato!

Old 11-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Question Re: Teaching Aikido to Children in Fredericksburg, VA 4/1/2006

Great idea.

I would also recommend Aviv's "line o henka" as lots of fun.

I would like to pose a question related to this:

Who are the best children's aikido instructors that aikiwebsters have seen, and why?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center
Re: Teaching Aikido to Children in Fredericksburg, VA 4/1/2006

Bruce Bookman Sensei in Seattle.

He is great at keeping the kids challenged and working at incredibly high technical levels gently, athletically and with focus. My 2 boys started with him and are now teenagers. My watching their classes drew me into Aikido 5 years ago. The grown up kid's class graduates at our dojo are just inspirational to train with. Imagine being a 21 year old nidan with 15 years of experience...wow!

I am also impressed watching the kids with supposed problems "get a clue". They begin to do well in school, control themselves socially, get in shape. Of course, that comes with doing Aikido in general, but it is amazing none the less.

Melissa

www.tenzanaikido.com
Old 11-05-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

He'll have 14 years of experience when he turns 21. If he's in Seattle at the time, give him a good hard yonkkyo and tell him his sister loves him. :P

But yeah, definitely invite Bookman Sensei. He's got a great kids program going. I enjoyed it immensely and it helped me sort out some of my own problems as a child.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Cool - One of my teacher's, and an occasional poster on aikiweb; Philip Smith Sensei, started with his father when he was 9, and that was 40 years ago! kinda cheating if you ask me

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=649

I really enjoyed Bookman sensei's ukemi video, does anyone have the kids one?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center

OK, Rebeccah, 14 years, but he's still awesome and so are you! (These Montanges are grown up child students of Bookman S.)

I also want to mention that at the Aiki Expo, Patrick Auge did a mind boggling demo with his large group of small children who were extrodinarily well trained in weapons and judo as well as Aikido techniques. Also, Auge Sensei seems to be generous, inspired and well informed and was a delight to learn from.
What about Peter Bernath or Robert Kent? I have only read about them and have no personal experience.

Bookman has a couple of children's videos out, one on how to teach and one showing the test material which is designed for use by the kids themselves. Both are excellent. So are the 2 ukemi videos, beginner and advanced. More info on our dojo website

Cheers,

Melissa

www.tenzanaikido.com